3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletching Jig Recommendations  (Read 389 times)

Offline BeNoIt

• Trad Bowhunter
Fletching Jig Recommendations
« on: November 03, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »
I realize there are a lot of different fletching jigs out there and probably many favorites but I'm looking for some advice for someone just starting out building their own arrows. I'm hoping to get a jig that will be solid enough that it can "grow with me" and will last.

Any suggestions?
David

Matthew 6:33  But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Bigfoot Flatliner 55@28 64" (New!)
Spirit LB 55# @28" 62"

Offline macksdad

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletching Jig Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 09:15:00 AM »
Well if your in it for the long haul I would go with a bitzenburger. A little costly but worth it . If your just get started and on a budget the bohning is pretty good for the money.
Hoyt Buffalo   #45@28,#50@28, #55 @28, #60@28
Hill Country Wildcat 52#@28
Hill Country Wildcat Static #57@31
Rick Welch Accuracy Factory

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 09:35:00 AM »
Look at a BPE
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »
having owned and used just about every fletching jig commercially made including 6 bitzenburgers, and have had at least a few custom made ones, my recommendation is to get a grayling or bohning.  these are polycarb fletchers that will cost 1/3 that of a bitz, do the same job, offer 4-fletch options without added receiver cost, and last longer because polycarb won't rust.  those are all i use these dayze.  don't forget the fletch tape.   ;)
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »
I bought the cheap Grayling one and it has served me well for about 6 years.  I fletch a couple dozen arrows a year and it works great.  Mine came with 3 and 4 fletch options and I bought a right wing and straight clamp.  Make sure you have the right clamp for the feathers you're using.  My jig and clamps cost me about $20 total.

Offline BeNoIt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 09:45:00 AM »
Thanks all for the feedback. Greatly appreciated.

Rob - you mentioned the fletch tape - do you find that works as good as the glue with all types of shafts. I'm primarily going to be doing woods but will probably do some with carbon for my son as well.

Thanks again!
David

Matthew 6:33  But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Spirit LB 55# @28" 62"

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »
I own the bitz and enjoy using it. Im sure Rob has more experience then I do so his recommendations are solid.

and like he said "Don't forget the fletch tape"
I would also recommend getting "Isopropyl alcohol" to clean shafts before fletching to remove any manufacture residue or finger oils.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by BeNoIt:
... Rob - you mentioned the fletch tape - do you find that works as good as the glue with all types of shafts. ...
it's all i use for all shafts from woodies to carbons.  a lotta guys were asking if fletch tape works, most were skeptical if the fleathers would stay on in all kinda conditions.

i killed a little sow back in 2008 with my t/d mohawk, down in south carolina.  drilled a carbon right through her vitals, never found the arrow ... terry found it this summer and though the feathers were stripped clean, here it is 3 years later after enduring summers and winters and the white quill bases were still *firmly* fletch tape stuck to the shaft. i'll never glue feathers to any kinda shaft ever again.  'nuff said.   :)  

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
I use a Bitzenberger and am satisfied but definitely agree with Rob's suggestion about fletching tape. I am using it on carbon and wood and it flat-out works. I still put a dab of Duco at each end of the fletching but I would not be surprised if the tape worked without it.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
click the pic for the vid ...

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 10:09:00 AM »
Bitz...
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline BeNoIt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 10:17:00 AM »
Great video Rob. It is great to have all this experience to ask questions from. Y'all are great. Thanks!
David

Spirit LB 55# @28" 62"

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 11:10:00 AM »
Rob - you need a seperate little jig to hold the clamp upside-down and steady while you apply the tape.    :D    

I'd try it for my woodies but I'd miss the Duco buzz.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »
I've owned a Bitzenberger and a JoJan MultiFletcher and since I shoot aluminum arrows, I prefer the JoJan.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
I've got 2 Bitzenburger's that have been with me for over 20 years, like someone else said.

A little pricy but well worth it.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »
I just started fletching arrows this summer myself.  The Bitz gets a lot of recommendations, for good reason.

I went with the Grayling, which is also marketed as the Martin J-8.  As far as I can tell, the Grayling/Martin is the same as a Bitz, just  made of plastic.

The Bitz is supposed to have a stronger magnet, but after using Fletch Tape, there's no reason to use glue.

Watch Robs video above.  It'll save you a lot of time.  

The Grayling/Martin is 1/2 the price of the Bitz, and did everything I could ask.
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline BeNoIt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
Thanks Paul - appreciate the feedback being that you just started on this as well.

After watching Rob's video I'm going to go with the cheaper models. I'm not going to be doing industrial fletching, really just for myself and son at present and it looks like they will do all that I need.

...AND I'll be using Fletch Tape! That looks great!

Thanks again all!
David

Spirit LB 55# @28" 62"

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 12:16:00 PM »
Braveheart Archery, one of the sponsors here, has the best price I could find on the Grayling.

The owner,I think its Tim, is good to deal with too.

Somebody else on here said Fletch Tape changed his life!  It really is great!
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
Great Video Rob. BeNoIt pay particular attention to the shaft and fletch prep. Rob is getting rid of manufacture residue and finger oils.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 03:55:00 PM »
I really like the JoJan Multi fletcher.
James Kerr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©