3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: semi-live Kansas deer hunt (picture heavy, daily updates) hunt over - tagged a nice 8  (Read 634 times)

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
I’m leaving today (hopefully by 2 pm) for my yearly Kansas deer hunt. Every year seems to be different. Last year I relapsed back to wheels and while successful at filling a tag, I sure wish I had my recurve in hand and so this year, I will, again. Another twist this year is the great people that invite me out just had a baby boy (and Grandbaby boy) and so I’m not sure how much hunting we’ll have together like years past. I’ve always said it’s more the place and the people in Kansas that makes the hunting memories, not just the possibility of running into great big bucks.

I’m shooting a bit different setup this year. I’m dropping down to around 575 gr total weight, CX carbons, weight tubes and Zwickey Delta 2 blade 170’s (sharpened with a KME)  and my old trusty Zipper all bamboo recurve. Well, it’s trusty in so far as I do my job. Shooting about 53# at my draw and I’ve missed a grey fox twice this year and a little doe. The fast fox I can forgive and accept missing at 25 yards to my right …… the doe however was pure I didn’t pick a spot. I have GOT TO CONCENTRATE or I will find myself with that shot at a once in a lifetime buck and crumble.

Another twist is I have a new video camera. How much I’ll use it remains to be see - I’ve never done this before – adding more elements to an already challenging hunt!

Here are a few bucks from years past ……. The guy there is my gracious host, a homemade recurve and that buck was like 166” if I remember right? Gorgeous buck though aint he? That massive 8 is cool, the giant 10 is from 2 years back, I don’t know if he’s alive still or not. The rack that was found dead near a stand that is hung every year … the rack is extreme in mass, tines and an old buck.

Every day I’ll post pictures, maybe some video if I’m lucky and hunt updates. I’ll be able to hunt Friday morning (driving all night, sleep a few hours then hunt baby HUNT !) through next Thu/Fri or maybe a bit longer, we’ll see. My goal this season is a 150” buck or bigger.

Here are a couple of bucks from a camtracker strapped to the trunk of a tree I have a stand in right now. Great deer activity here, rumors of a drop tine buck, a big 175” type typical 10 and 3 others bucks bigger than this one. But this one fits the bill – he’s a shooter for me on this trip, no question. Should be in the 155” range?

Will be a good one next year?

this one has NICE main beams – but he’s an 8, probably a 130” buck? Still he would be sweet to photo and watch

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Looking forward to this one Brad, good luck!

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
Good luck and have a safe trip!!  :campfire:
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Best of luck. This will be fun to follow
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
Good luck.  Thanks for taking us along.
  :campfire:

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Bryan pinick

• Trad Bowhunter
Good luck....your timing is good.

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
I hope I can do this as well as some of the guys do their hunting threads !

forecast next 10 days

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
Good luck Brad! I have followed your hunts in Kansas before and look forward to following your hunt this year. Thanks for taking the time to share your hunt with us here!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
they are for sure moving after our lil fall storm last night good luck and have  fun jake

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
With a full moon next week, are you staying in the stand all day?  

How about posting times you spot deer?

Good luck for a 150" deer.  There seems to be plenty of those in Kansas.
Lon Scott

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Wishing you good luck Brad, I leave for Kansas this Saturday for a week, third year, excited-yep. Looks like Monday and middle to end of next week should be good after the front pushes thru.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Good luck! Looking forward also to the hunt journal.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
Go get 'em, Brad!
"But, the bestest doctor of all is God!"  Katie Jones (7 years old)

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
Good luck! I will give you a tip on filming. Get the camera on early and in place where you are going to shoot because if you don't and are rushing to get set up you won't pick a spot. It happenned to me more than once.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
I will be checking back frequently...hope you see some action.  Good luck!

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
I drove 700 miles - from 2:00pm and got to where I needed by 2 am greeted by 24 degrees and high SE winds. brrrr

it was a great morning and a bad morning.

great in that I saw 7 different bucks, one nice 8 that I could have killed (video below) and a 10 I'd love to have had a better look at

but climbing into the tree this morning, I rammed a stick into my eye - yes, as silly as that sounds. I didn't know how bad it was, just that it was bleeding and I still had 100% of my vision. when I got back to the truck I looked and yeah, it didn't look good. I got to a optometrist by 1 pm (lucky only 30 miles away and he had a good deer story too  :)  ) and basically I scraped the top layers of my eyeball all the way back to the corner of the eye. I didn't puncture the eye, I only scraped the white - so very very luck there. But with a dilated eye that's throbbing no hunting this afternoon. Probably not in the morning, Doc ruled it out but I haven't yet  :)

lucky man I feel like right now - very close to losing an eye. I was pulling myself up and pulled right into it - unbelievable.

its throbbing a bit, but if I can handle the pain I think an am hunt in the morning I can do

but

here is the video of the nice 8 I passed on - he looked BIG under my stand  :)

here at some photo's off the camtracker I took off the tree I'm sitting in ...

Offline Bryan pinick

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
anti-biotic drops, 2 other bottles of drops and suppose to be icing it to ease the swelling.

great way to start a hunt huh? I'm going to try and hunt a few hours in the morning

see if I uploaded these video's right

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©