3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: semi-live Kansas deer hunt (picture heavy, daily updates) hunt over - tagged a nice 8  (Read 633 times)

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Take care of yourself Brad!  The lost of an eye not worth the moments of pleasure, so be careful and things will come together in the right time.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm going to get up and go in the morning - if it hurts because of the wind or sun or anything then I'll at least have tried.

12 weeks ago I had the patella tendon ACL surgery, just getting to where I can feel normal and go and do this ..... one obstacle after another but makes for a great story if I can shoot a big buck in the coming days huh ?

Offline blueslfb

• Trad Bowhunter
Been there done that with the patela tendon ACL deal. My knee aches just thinking about it. Be careful and good luck. That buck on the vid was a beauty!

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
Uh......WOW! Good luck, this should be good.   :coffee:
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
Good luck, can't wait to see how this turns out!!!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
Looks like a great hunt in the making!
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
high HIGH winds today, all day. I saw a few dink bucks and deer movement stopped at 7:30 am.

I went to another place we have permission to hunt and jumped a big shooter 10 point and saw other deer. hunt a stand in the same tree I hunted from in 2007 or 2008? great location, but forecast of SW is about the WORST wind to hunt there.

so, back to this one stand I about put my eye out in, and 30 minutes before dark here comes this buck.

very very nice 8 pointer, his main beams wrap around and are maybe 6" from touching, he didn't look like a big bodied buck, very long tines - he came out of willows and rubbed and drank from a creek .... then back into them. I was too worried about shooting him to film him  :)

That's it - just not a lot of deer movement, probably because of the gale force winds. Tomorrow back to the eyeball stand I reckon until i get something other than a SW wind.

Mon/Tue rain, and Tue high of 42 ... I'd just as soon kill my buck tomorrow  :)

Offline Bryan pinick

• Trad Bowhunter
Hang in there bud....when it was 100+ degrees we had hardly any wind....now it all comes this fall. You will connect!

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
Thank goodness your eye injury wasn't worse. Good luck!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
long day, slow day, a few dinks, a few does, can't believe the buck traffic in there on the camtracker Tuesday/Wednesday and I sit it Friday/Saturday/Sunday and only that first day solid 8 that come by

I don't think me being in there disturbs it THAT much - just unlucky?

Tomorrow I go to a new place - its the stand I sit 2 years ago, shot at a 150" at daylight, missed, had a GIANT buck come in at noon and couldn't get a shot then missed a P&Y 8 at dark .... I jumped a nice 10 scouting it and hanging the stand. BUT - its suppose to start raining at noon or 2:00 pm and 40-42 degree's ...... just great, and then turning to snow Tuesday morning and 2-8" or ??   who knows - but will make a very interesting hunt that's for sure

the eye hurts, its redder today but no worse other than that.

Offline Bryan pinick

• Trad Bowhunter
Couldn't ask for better weather!

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
horrible morning, didn't see a whitetail until 10:20 am ...... drove to another stand location and got in it at 12:15 pm .... pretty much sat all day. Saw 3 bucks this evening, 2 good ones but couldn't get them close to decide if they really were shooters. Saw a very nice 10 driving out, of course.

I did watch geese flying over, I got to enjoy God's country in 40 degree weather with sprinkling rain  :)  fox squirrels were very active and playing this evening, saw a possum that I would have zwickey'd if he'd been close enough I imagine, the coyotes serenaded me again at dark .... wasn't a complete failure although the deer hunting wasn't that great

and I didn't poke my eye today, that's a success!

Offline imhntn

• Trad Bowhunter
Keep up the good reports and here's hoping you can arrow a good one!
2 Timothy 2:2

Offline BoonRoto

• Trad Bowhunter
Go get em Brad! Wednesday looks good as long as the wind stays down!

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
34 degree's and raining/snowing ....... at 9 am I had a NICE 10 point come from my East. He followed the trail just like he was suppose to for 400 yards. at 75 yards he goes behind a cedar tree, I get my bow ready, ready for a shot and decide since he's following the trail, and that the trail goes under my tree, I'll wait until he goes under and shoot him quartering away. That's the way the stand it set up - shooting to my left, a right handed shooter.

I wait, and here he comes at 20 yards stepping out from behind the cedar. Wind heavy in my face - perfect.

And then, he stops, shakes like a dog, and veers off the trail, walking from my right to left but now out in front of me. Had I been turned to the right, I might have gotten a shot. As it were, i watched him walk out, and around and at 25 yards, he stops and glances down to my far left. OK, trail goes that way too - and for 3 seconds I have a 25 yard shot quarter away but I didn't like it, and maybe he turns and no, he doesn't, walks straight away .... he never knew how close he comes to getting Zwickey'd

drying clothes right now - going back out in a bit. Snow this afternoon, 3-5" ..... should be an interesting evening  ;)

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
I hope you get another chance at him.  Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
I hunted another area this evening, it didn't snow or rain anymore, gorgeous afternoon to hunt, I saw 3 does, a couple of distant bucks, a bunch of sandhill cranes, a few hawks, a cottontail rabbit, a coyote that if I'd seen a bit earlier I'd have sent a Zwickey his way.

Driving home we almost t-boned a giant of a buck a few miles from the farm we're hunting. He had it all - giant long beams, 6 points on his left beam, maybe 6 on the right, really tall tined, mass ....... we thought he was a mule deer at first. We braked hard and came within 10' of hitting him I guess. He was a 180" or bigger giant of a buck.

I'm going home Thursday evening. I've got 2 day's left. Pressure is on

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
Keep after them Brad. It's only going to get better for the next week or so.

The rain is supposed to move out here tomorrow and sunshine and high pressure for the next 5-6 days. Should be perfect conditions for the rut.

bretto

Offline Bryan pinick

• Trad Bowhunter
The next day or 2 should be awesome....

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
Man o man! Special deer there Brad! Good luck.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©