3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: semi-live Kansas deer hunt (picture heavy, daily updates) hunt over - tagged a nice 8  (Read 636 times)

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
I sat a very cold morning - low 20's and a stiff wind across my face. Saw one dink buck. Very disappointed there because the area is SO good. In fact, after I removed the stand and got back to the house, the land owners had seen 3 big bucks and another GIANT not 1/4 mile up the creek from me.

Dang, wish I'd left the stand and hunted it, instead the plan is to go back to where I've hunted almost the whole hunt - where I saw the big 8 3 days ago I guess?

I can't sit like I use to - my back hurts a bit. But here I go into the stand I stabbed my eye in at 12:15 pm. I had to get down and pee not long after, dropped my book, 2 guys parked on the road and came in to about 40 yards before seeing me and finally leaving. At 4 pm I was really questioning this whole thing!

Then I look East and see a doe running - nice. Buck can't be far behind. So I'm watching them, get my camera out .... put it away, glance to my left and dang, there is that big 8 I saw 3 days ago, standing 50 yards looking at me. But he isn't boogered, and keeps drinking.

This buck ...... when i watched him the other day he was SO cautious. One step, stand motionless, wait, look, take a step, repeat. I watched him for probably 40 minutes, and he didn't move 75 yards. He did rub a cedar hard. He didn't respond to my grunts. I had him broadside at 35 yards, looking away ..... not a shot I can take and make.

So then he starts going away, and when he's 100 yards I grab my antlers and rattle pretty aggressively. I had 3 bucks off to my right - but I wasn't concerned with them.

It worked.

Here he comes. Taking the trail and coming straight to me. He took a second to rub the telephone pole in front of me (yes, its a rubbed pole, a licking pole) and then comes straight at me.

Right as he gets to where I can make any shot I take it.

And I hit a limb, deflecting the shot. I grab another arrow as he takes one bound and he looks RIGHT UP AT ME. Stare down time. He drops his head, boogers a bit, looks back up .... I'm still in half get my arrow nocked position and when he dropped his head again I nocked/drew and shot.

At the shot he bounded, and I could see fletching as he tried to make the top of the little hill in front of me. He didn't make it, almost falling before coming back down and going down very quickly.

Unbelievable. Never thought I'd get him to come to me, never imagined I could shoot and get another arrow on the string and shoot again.

My arrow hit farther back than I wanted, probably him jumping at my motions? I hit him in front of the right ham, angling forward and cutting the two ribs on the left side. I cut liver too - I don't think I've ever seen a deer die faster.

Gorgeous buck, over 24" main beams, 10" tines, nice mass, 15" inside spread ... he's going to score around 140" I imagine for anyone interested in that.

Zipper recurve, 53#, CX Heritage shafts, Zwickey broadhead sharpened with KME, weight tubes, probably 550 grains total weight.

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
we think he's a 4 1/2 year old buck, over 200 pounds live weight. The bucks are so silly right now, but this one acted so differently. Just very very cautious. I am tickled to death, he's my best traditional buck and he's going on the wall.

I'm so lucky to be able to come to where I do, the people who invite me out are great to have me, exceptional hosts, great hunting partners and I can't thank them enough.

Offline Shape Shifter

• Trad Bowhunter
Congrats! Now that is one nice buck. Great job!
"Effort only fully releases its rewards after a person refuses to quit"

Offline DGF

• Trad Bowhunter
Congrats Brad! Real nice buck!

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Nice..!

I leave tomorrow morning for a week in Kansas,I been getting some good reports!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
Good job Brad.   :clapper:

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Great buck Brad!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Whats up with all that mass? steroid food plots.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Beautiful deer sir!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Thanks for taking us along!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Wow

Great Deer. Congrats   :campfire:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
Way to go, Brad!
"But, the bestest doctor of all is God!"  Katie Jones (7 years old)

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks guys - Alvis killed a 8 point tonight with his home made recurve that makes mine look like little!

I'll post pictures when I get them, but he's like a 155" or better 8

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
Super nice deer Brad.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Brad

One heck of a buck man!  Very excited for you, and really enjoyed following this hunt.

Wishing you more and more success!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
hillboy is hunting about 70 miles south of where I was ..... Tuesday was their 1st day, so far no bucks down that I know of

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Great job Brad!!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Very nice.  Man, I live in KS and never have that much action and big buck interaction.  Congrats!
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
KSdan      3 years ago was an unbelievable year. This is the biggest buck I saw in the field in 7 days of hunting.

Looking back .... I hunted this same stand 6 mornings and 6 evenings - averaging 5 hours a sit that's about 60 hours I had invested in this stand. I saw this same buck on Monday evening I think it was. I had that one nice 10 come through but nothing else as big.

Now, the guys I hunted with on the farm we are so lucky to hunt, they've seen big bucks two days in a row. I'm trying to get good photo's of the buck Alvis shot with his recurve.

This is the only one I got - in the 35 minutes after he shot it and they tracked it (it didn't go 100 yards) coyotes had found it and at 1/2 a ham. unreal.

Offline Bryan pinick

• Trad Bowhunter
Congrats!
The dang coyotes can be a real pain in places....

I was getting ready to shoot a "doe" this morning...until I saw it was a spike.... and he had a coyote run him HARD out of a ravine....no shot on the dog either.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©