3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quiver assistance  (Read 281 times)

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
Quiver assistance
« on: November 03, 2011, 09:50:00 AM »
I hunt primarily from a climbing treestand and therefore a  back quiver doesn't work for walking in to the stand.  I've tried a side quiver, but the fletching always manages to get messed up on the stand or brush.  I've tried, but I have never been able to shoot a bow with a bow quiver on it.  I tried a GN strap on, but getting the straps on tight in the dark was a pain, the rods scratched my bows up and I don't like the hard rubber broadhead holder.  Currently I have an Alpine soft loc quiver that I have rigged with velcro that just wraps around the riser above the shelf.  Once in the tree I take it off and hang it from a hook or just set it inside my backpack.  The thing rattles around a little when walking around and scratches the riser some, but not bad.  Most of the bows I currently hunt with have bushings for mounting a quiver.  Are there any bow quivers out there that mount using bushings that go on and off easily where I wouldn't have to worry about dropping knobs and stuff out of the tree?  The thing would have to stay in one piece once disconnected from the bow so that it still holds the arrows and I can stow it in the pack or hang it from a hook.

Any suggestions?

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quiver assistance
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
tRY A SIDE QUIVER WITH A FLETCHING COVER LIKE THE ARROWMASTER FROM SAFARITUFF.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »
It's not for everybody, but I like a Kwikee Quiver. I know....you have to have the bow drilled and the bushings put in. But, it comes off quickly once you are on stand, they have been around for years and when hunters like Paul Schafer and Barry Wensel and others seem to have no problem with them...I guess I don't either. Is it the best....who's to say, but I know I like the way it works for me. Another option is the old style Bear spring arm quiver, on and off in a snap. I also like a Catquiver but that's a whole different kettle of fish!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 10:31:00 AM »
Another vote for the Kwikee Quiver.  I have an extra bracket on my stand and when I get set I remove the quiver from my bow and lock it on my stand. The arrows are in easy reach and this system has worked well for me. I have a Bear spring arm on my old 1970 Super K that works well also but these are getting hard to find.
1969 Bear Super Kodiak 45#
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"
Roy Hall Navajo Stick, 64" Caddo 55#@28"

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
A second vote for a side quiver & fletching cover.  Add a nail or find a branch stub in the tree and you have a quiver hanger that puts them right beside your hand.

There is a p.fleece fletching cover behind the right wheel in this image.  Works great.  I have a second one in ASAT p.fleece.

Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 01:48:00 PM »
All I have used for the last 15 yrs or so are the Jack Bowers side quivers with a fleece hood...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »
OK, thanks.  2 questions:

1) Will the Kwikee Quiver bolt/screw fit into a standard quiver bushing on say a Silvertip or a Stewart Slammer?

2)  I've tried the fleece cover this year just to protect the fletching and to reduce the impact of the bright fletching, but found that I was doing more damage to the feathers taking the thing off on and on than I was before using it.  How do you put the thing on without damaging the feathers when it goes against the grain of the feathers?

Unfortunately I sold an original Bear spring arm quiver I had.

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
Kwikee Quiver brackets bolt onto standard sight brackets on any bow.
1969 Bear Super Kodiak 45#
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"
Roy Hall Navajo Stick, 64" Caddo 55#@28"

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »
I favor a side quiver also. The one I like is a GFA side quiver.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stinger:
. . . but found that I was doing more damage to the feathers taking the thing off on and on than I was before using it.  How do you put the thing on without damaging the feathers when it goes against the grain of the feathers?
Two methods: Put the arrows in (with broadheads I have a piece of foam in the end to protect the heads) then grab them around the feathers and slide the hood over your hand, then pull your hand out.

Second method - I use if it is raining or expected to - is to put a plastic bag over the fletching and slide the hood on over that.

I use two "hoodie slide keepers" and take up all but 2" or so os the shoelace hood keeper ties.  This is just enough to allow me to lift out a broadhead.  When I want to raise the cover I slide them down to stopper knots that allows me to take the hood over the nocks.  Or just right off for roving or small game, etc.  

The Jack Bowers is a GREAT quiver.  I keep two blunts and five broadheads and life is good.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »
I have tried almost every style of quiver out there and for pure function, keep coming back to a bow quiver on my longbows. I use the thunderhorn small fry Boa. I don't believe in taking it off my bow. I put it on, practice with it on and hunt with it on. Don't have to figure out where to hang it, arrows are at my fingertips for a second shot if needed.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Online Cocklebur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 05:15:00 PM »
I use the Bohning quiver. It takes the standard sight bushings and has two rubber arrow grippers instead of foam in the hood. It doesn't dull my broadheads like with foam in the hood.

Offline OHtar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
Just got a safari tuff arrow master. It seems to be a winner. Haven't been able to take it hunting, but have used it in the yard. I will get out this weekend with it.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 11:09:00 PM »
How about a CatQuiver mini?  Seems like that one might address your concerns.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »
I use a SafariTuff "Arrowmaster" for everything now.I think ive used every quiver on earth and it works best for me.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
"I use a SafariTuff "Arrowmaster" for everything now.I think ive used every quiver on earth and it works best for me."

X2, Arrowmaster is a great quiver.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »
Safari Tuff Arrowmaster and mini Cat Quiver are great ideas but as I said, almost all of my hunting is done from climbing treestands, and I see them banging on the stand when carrying it in.

Online paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »

I only carry 4 arrows; 3 broadheads and an Ace Hex...this is the best I've found for hunting.  I removed the foam (too squeaky), laced together 3 leather broadhead covers and slipped them in the toe of the quiver.  The blunt slides between two of the broadhead sheaths, and is quite secure.  Rides lightly behind my back when walking, then lays along my side once set up.  Excellent arrow protection.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©