3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Good Morning for Thinking...and "Hawking"  (Read 655 times)

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
A Good Morning for Thinking...and "Hawking"
« on: November 03, 2011, 04:28:00 PM »
Got up this beautiful Morning kinda low. I been hunting purty hard the last few days with no meat to show for it other than a Squirrel . Which I might add I made a heck of a shot on the other day as he ran across a limb about 20 feet up an oak . Brother Shinken gave me the back Quiver and it felt good to put it to use....

I have seen a few deer and some were even nice bucks. During the first few days of our 9th annual HorseCreek hunt I all but had shots on 4 different bucks in as many days. The wind was swirling and as you all know it seems to swirl at the worst times.
  Yesterday evening I had a very good Buck cross a slough and instead of coming straight across the Island I was on he turned and followed the edge of the water to a water oak that was dropping half in the water and half out. Three Woodducks were feeding under it in the water and him on the hill. Purty to look at but not so good for deer killing.
  This morning I climbed a stand on my #1 Creek crossing. The wind was good and I was there in time to look at the stars a few minutes before daylight came busting through.

I usually hunt feed trees but during the month of November I like to hunt funnels or flow areas as Mr. Womack would say.
 I had my bow on a limb with arrow nocked and moved to brush some kinda varmit off that landed on top of my head in the dark and bumped my bow and the arrow fell to the ground hitting every bolt I had woodpeckered in the tree on the way down. I nocked another arrow and laughed at myself a bit. I`m awful clumsy it seems. The other day I fell getting into my climber on a root and was the laughing stock of most of my buddies not to mention some kinda sore in the ribs.
  I hear that sweet sound of footsteps coming. Get the bow off the limb with no arrow dropping this time......

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Good Morning for Thinking...and "Hawking"
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »
:campfire:
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 04:39:00 PM »
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »
Nocked an arrow off the bow and it hit stuff on the way down....say it ain't so....lol!! Been there ,done that, and bought the T shirt!!   :biglaugh:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »

If RC is behind the bow, no doubt something's getting killed.

Offline 5deer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
what bow is that rc
I've  seen  things  you  people  wouldn't  believe

"Have faith in God"  Mark  11:22

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
Oh boy!  This will be a good un.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 06:46:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 07:21:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »
Looking forward to the conclusion Mr. Carter.....
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
Back again... I hear a deer coming to the crossing and get ready. The deer is quartering to me headed from left to right. I`m waiting . He stops near broadside acting like he smells a rat.I wait patiently and he finally steps forward and broadside. The Mohawk comes smoothly back and the arrow is gone.

I always shoot low on deer because our deer down here are wired. He squats and whirls and it looks to me as if I shot under him or maybe nicked his leg. I listen as he runs off and sit back down....mad as a hornet. You don`t get shots at deer around the hard hunted places I hunt often. If your gonna fill the freezer you`d better make good on every opportunity.
  I sit back and text a few friends about my "miss" and how I should maybe be fishing or something. I climb down after a bit and walk over to get my arrow and its not there.

I follow the direction he ran. Its awful thick where I`m at and after a bit I find the feathered end of my arrow. Looks like 8" of the broadhead end is missing.
  I`m really upset now. At first I thought I had missed now I`m thinking I shot way low in the brisket maybe and wounded this deer. The sickest feeling of all.

Offline bow loving man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
"...on earth as it is in heaven..."

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
I sit down against a big oak pondering my situation. I`m mad at myself when I actually held form and the arrow felt true at the shot but how did it hit so low?
  I began to listen at the swamp come to life and realize I had done my best. Took a very ethical shot with proven equipment and it looks like it did`nt work out for me this time. Still don`t sit well with me.
  I thank God for the morning and begin to realize how blessed i am to be upset about a deer with all the problems in this world. I got a freezer full of food, a good job, a Great Family and good health and I`m leaning beside a big oak feeling sorry for myself. I begin to feel a bit better and start back trailing. I have blood but have huge doubts of finding this deer.

The blood is sparse I`m thinking and drive on. I know where a crossing is a bout 75-100 yards ahead on to an Island so I loop so I don`t mess up any blood and check it. Sure nuff theres a drop of blood...

I carry on...

Went by where some sawmilling had been going on...

Makes me feel better that usually means gators got plenty to eat besides me..lol

I`m following a bloodtrail that has really picked up when I look up and...

not a Moose by any means but I`m not a Moose hunter. Actually a real good Buck considering I thought I had missed him...

Boned out and in the meat sack and headed for a good walk out. The Slough I`m standing at looking down is called Cypress lake. About 20 years ago I caught a two pound Warmouth from it with a 6` cane pole and a cricket. It was the tieing State record at the time.
  A blessing from God to be taught such a lesson in humility then have a gift laid in your lap. God is good.RC

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
Forgot to add. The shot was true . I guess with everything in a blur as it is at the shot I just thought I had shot to low. The no mercy broadhead got the top of the heart.RC

Offline GRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
Great story and pics. Congrats on the happy ending! Thanks for sharing.

Gerald

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
Way to go RC!  Nice story AND nice deer! God is indeed good!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 08:52:00 PM »
My, my, but you are the man, RC!!!

Somehow, that last part about boning out the meat in the pack and starting the good walk out, tells me that an ole pfart like me might have the devil's own time keeping up with you and I'd likely get lost in them flat swamps and et by mr crinkle hide there...

Still wonderous to read your stories!

Congrats on your success! sure looks fun!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©