3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Newbie ground hunting questions  (Read 143 times)

Offline dkforge

• Trad Bowhunter
Newbie ground hunting questions
« on: November 03, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »
First year bow hunting so trying not to be too hard on myself. Been hunting the ground and have been seeing deer in bow range but even with taking every precaution against scent and checking wind the deer always seem to know something isn't right. They don't run for the hills but they are always so cautious I can never move enough to draw. They generally move off out of range without me getting a shot. Two questions.

1. To hunt from the ground is a blind necessary? If you don't use a blind (which I have not been) any suggestions?

2. When hunting from the ground if you have an active day seeing lots of deer from a particular stand where the deer are cautious will you return to the same area the following day or give it time to cool off before you go back in?

I appreciate any feedback. I hunted with a rifle for years but this bow hunting is a totally different animal! I can't believe how close I have had deer to me that I have not been able to draw on. Frustrating and exhilarating at the same time!

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Newbie ground hunting questions
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 08:09:00 PM »
1. You can look for blow downs and sit in the branches,or any cover that can brake up your outline will do.You can also lay downed branches againts a tree and make your own blind.

2. if the deer are cautious then yes sit and lay off for 2 days and then hunt it again. you can always head them off before they get to that stand(they may be less cautious).

And its not much different than hunting with another weapon,just a little more up close and personal thats all.Good luck.Tim
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
Make sure you have heavy cover BEHIND you to break up your shape.Brimmed hat instead of ball cap seems to help too.Brush in front is great but not nearly as important as behind.Move as slowly as possible.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »
You are moving too fast and probably not using your bios enough. I'm guessing they are seeing you early. For the final yards I have my bow up and I am directly behind it all I need to do is draw also don't look at them-that makes you a predator. Blend in to your background and do not move when their heads are up or visible. Puff the wind indicator when you can. They see you from the side before they turn heads towards you, or just bolt. Success only comes after lots of stalks and it is super fun!!
They can tolerate hearing you and sometimes even seeing you but they won't tolerate smelling you. Often they will put their heads down to look like they are feeding and really they are staring at you to see if you will move. Go super slow one step at a time and let the game begin!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©