3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bean Boots and Colorado  (Read 258 times)

Offline twostrings

• Trad Bowhunter
Bean Boots and Colorado
« on: November 03, 2011, 10:48:00 PM »
Anyone out West hunt elk in bean boots? If so, do you back pack in them? If you have done it in the past, but don't now, what changed your mind?

Thanks,
mh

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bean Boots and Colorado
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 11:26:00 PM »
I hunt mountains in Nevada.  I love my Beans, but they do not have ankle support nor traction for up and downs.  They are quiet and sneaking thru Aspen groves would suit them
My son shot a great 4x4 mulie two weeks ago and I would have suffered packin it out of that canyon
I hunt rabbits in the river river bottoms and it is Beans all the way down here
Just my opinion
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline gonzoso

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 11:34:00 PM »
You want something with more ankle support.  Boots are cheaper than orthopedic surgery to repair a wrecked ankle or injured foot.

Red wing, danner, vasque, and some of Keens boots are high quality stuff.  Then you have your really high end brands like Whites, which I have heard great things about but not tried.
Samick Sage 50#
1970's Bear Kodiak Magnum 50#

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 11:40:00 PM »
I came west with Bean boots in 10, 14 and 16 inch heights.  Swore by them back in Michigan.  Well, for me, they were a disaster for Colorado mountain hunting. Will admit I never sprang for Schnees or some of the other high tops with better soles for the high country, as my ankles and flat feet had suffered enough with the poor support of the Beans(they are GREAT for the swamps, but poorly suited to more vertical terrain.)  The thing is, I also found the high country is also pretty dry, and there's a wide range of gore tex boots that handle the vertical stuff very well, and also go through pretty deep snow with no problem(maybe with gaiters, of course.)  

I still have the Beans, but don't use them very much. May use them again someday hunting western Washington, where it's likely to be a lot moister than where I am now.
Tom

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 01:11:00 AM »
I would agree with most of the other posts. I have covered some miles in my Bean's, but not without paying for it later. They do not have the traction of something like my Danner Pronghorns (if not much snow) or my Schnee Elkhunters (if the snow is deep). They also don't seem to have the support in the footbed as my other boots. I think there are better options for the mountains.
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 03:34:00 AM »
They can be good in the early season when is warm and dry,or if you hunt the aspen at lower elevation.
When the storms hit the mountain you really need something different for your safety!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Adrian Farmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
The answer to the boot question depends.  I have  been elk hunting in Colorado for about 40 years with Bean boots, and would not be found without them.  But, I hunt in September when the weather is generally good.  I do not use them to pack in to camp, nor do I use them to pack out an elk.  But they are great to hunt in - they're quiet in the woods. They are waterproof (mostly), and when they get wet, they tend to dry out quicky, unlike many leather boots.  Finally, it depends on your ankles and feet.  I Have no problems with support and like the "feel" of a soft boot, but your physiology may be different
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."--A. Einstein

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 02:33:00 PM »
I have a pair and they are a great boot; but not for out here, at least not for me. Terrain is generally far too uneven and I want more support. Side hilling would be pretty much impossible.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 02:48:00 PM »
If you are in rough mountain country, they aren't that great, but for milder country, I like them. I have a pair I like to wear for early deer season or spring turkeys, but they aren't my fave for elk country.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »
I wore them in early Sept. and found them awesome boots!  I carried way to much weight and went way too far and still had no issues.  I love them.  I do play hockey and have strong ankles though.

I have heard Asbell wore them on a sheep or goat hunt also....

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »
Ask G.Fred Asbell.   I've used mine both times I went out. It was the early bow season.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Greg Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »
I live in north-central Idaho, which has some of the steepest, ruggedest terrain in the lower 48. I have worked and hunted in Idaho for over 40 years and have checked out most available footwear.  I currently wear Arrow moccasins (the Lace boot double sole model) for probably 98% of everything I do, including surveying and elk hunting.  This year I went on a bivouac hunt with a 45 lb. pack - wearing my moccasins.

I have found out some interesting things about footwear and the feet.  God designed the human foot without a raised heel for a reason.  If the foot tendons and muscles are strengthened and conditioned properly, they provide most of the ankle support any one will ever need.  I have much better balance and am much less clumsy when wearing the moccasins as opposed to the heavy vibram soled boots I wore for many years (Whites, Danner, Asolo etc.) Actually wearing moccasins forces me to take it slow and easy and feel for footing as I go.

There are definitely times that the limited traction is an issue, but I have discovered that even in treacherous footing the moccasins do pretty well - the trick is to go slow and let the contours of your foot grip where they need to.  It is indeed a whole new way of walking/hiking/moving, but it works, and my feet are much healthier as a result.  

I used to have plantar fasciatis, shin splints, hip joint pain, lower back pain, bunionettes on my toes.  Since I began running in minimalist footwear and wearing flat, no-support moccasins the rest of the time I have none of the above issues.

When it is cold, wet or muddy, I have found some light-weight, flat bottomed overshoes that slip over my moccasins and work very well for both water proofing and traction.  I have a pair of Schnees and a pair of Beans hunting shoes that sit in the corner because the moccasins are more comfortable.

This system is certainly not for everybody, but if you have ever had foot problems of any sort, you might give some thought to what I have said.  At one point a couple of years ago, I came close to not being able to hardly walk, let alone hike, so I know how important it is to take care of ones feet.

To those who might scoff, I would point out that I began wearing the moccasins somewhat as an experiment, always keeping some heavier, soled footwear at hand "in case".  However, the more I wore them, the more I liked them - for everything.
And in the end of our exploring we shall return to the place where we started and know that place for the first time.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »
They are great if you are not on severe slopes or slick stuff, even wet grass.  In some places they are almost dangerous.  I will bring mine again for around camp and flat land, but not for cross country walks. I really would consider using your normal boots and carry along some kindo of Baer's feet stalkers.

I have a pair of Beans and I love them, but not on the slopes.
ChuckC

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 05:57:00 PM »
Not the choice I'd make for a single boot for hunting the west.  Too much terrain to limit myself to a Bean Boot.  I like a 10" elk hunter by danner with goretex and insulation.  Use them here, the rockys and alaska.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Auzoutdoor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »
Guys can someone put up a pic of them I have not heard of them before here in Auz.
Cheers KIM
Australian Outdoor and Archery

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 08:01:00 PM »
I normally wear My LL beans elk hunting in Colorado and also use them in PA.    I used them this year in the Mt Zerkel wilderness areas with no proplems.  

With that said they are not good in that red clay slippery stuff that makes a pair of airbobs weigh 20 lbs.
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 09:16:00 PM »
Schnee's boots! look em up
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 10:19:00 PM »
Not a good choice out here unless you are shoveling the driveway the rubber isnt super tough (soft).  Someone Mentioned White's they are great but a bit overkill... More for loggers. Something cheap with quality are keens and the like, good lug vibram sole stable, wide great for hiking.  My preference are Danner Midle-high road of cost but very reliable. Pronghorns for the warm weather and Super Slam for the cold.

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 11:16:00 PM »
Well, this thread shows that we are all different, especially when it comes to footgear.  I have relatively weak ankles and flat feet, and I hunted Colorado high country for over 15 years....but couldn't do it with Bean boots.  From what I heard about Schnees, Whites, and a couple of other brands, their high tops were lots better for the west, but I already had several pairs of Beans in the closet.  Also, I found that the right pair of Meindl's made my rough terrain hunts lots better.  I chose them mostly because I could try lots of boots on at Cabela's and I kept on choosing the brand that worked for me. Lots of other good ones out there - but it's pretty expensive to try them all.
Tom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©