3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: best clothing for western state hunting  (Read 269 times)

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
best clothing for western state hunting
« on: November 04, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »
I have been looking at a lot of clothes lately and was wondering what you guys use to hunt out west. I have been looking at sitka, kuiu, and some other stuff.  I really want a quite fabric and there is know where close to me that handles these items, that i can go see them or handle them. I have gave the wool a lot of thought but it's pretty heavy both in weight and for an early season hunt. i dont mind wearing it but when a shirt weighs almost 3lbs it makes me not want to pack it in a day pack later in the day. any input will be greatly appreciated. thanks jake

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: best clothing for western state hunting
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
Wool blends are considerable less bulky and weighty.  I would go with the merino wool blends from kuiu. I would call to confirm, but if you don't like them, I think they have a great return policy.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 11:39:00 AM »
Lots of good clothes out there some already mentioned. I only hunt the west and mostly wear Cabela's MicroTex and wool when it is cold.

Offline skilonbw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
For early season and hunting elk in CO I still will wear say a thin merino wool underwear. with a layer of cotton camo and and then carry a rain jacket in my pack. I can do this since I mostly have  a base camp and head out from there each day. When I do a backpack hunt I go with the lightest and most comfortable. SO for me again more wool since I seem to have an issue with the say polypro underwear holding my sweat in.

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »
It is always mentioned but layering whatever you have is what is most important. If your climbing for elevation light wickable materials with your heavier clothes in the pack to put on when you reach the top makes for a comfortable day hunting. Also for raingear I like cabela's mto50 camo packable.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »
I've tried a lot of stuff in the past 4+ decades. Sitka Gear is it for me. I don't even cruise the camo racks in the box stores anymore.

I like it because of the design (pockets, fit, and zippers), quiet, durability, the correct combo is warm, and I think the pattern (I use woodland)works as good as any other I've used.  I know the price is high if you can't find a deal but I have a lot more in the several other pieces of gear that I no longer use.

Offline mesquite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »
First Lite!  It worked perfectly for me!

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 03:06:00 PM »
Totally depends on the weather.   Cold and wet you can't beat wool of all kinds.   Cold and dry lots of systems will work.   Hot takes a different set of clothing.  Look at time of year you will hunting and where you will hunt before spending your money.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 03:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
Lots of good clothes out there some already mentioned. I only hunt the west and mostly wear Cabela's MicroTex and wool when it is cold.
DITTO
I wear a lot of Cabelas Beaber some folks says it not as good as some of the new clothing out but it works for me and I like to hunt, and for the price of some the new stuff I can get a out of state tag for Elk or Deer.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 05:34:00 PM »
Layers.  I start with merino base layers and thin merino layers for early season.  First Lite and Kuiu.  Throw in some rain gear and you are good to go.  If it is a little cooler I throw in an alpaca sweater.  The light merino shirts weigh about the same as a long sleeve T.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 05:38:00 PM »
Thanks guys it gives me a lot to consider and ponder over befor I make any purchases

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
Thanks guys it gives me a lot to consider and ponder over befor I make any purchases

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 06:58:00 PM »
Dont you have to get a hubcap size belt buckle to go with the outfit...LOL
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline ryguy24000

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 07:12:00 PM »
I would say it depends on the time and area(desert, Rain forest).  Some wool pants can be burr catchers!

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 11:45:00 PM »
wow i hope i don't need a big ole buckle to go with it.. lol  i know it depends on a lot of the time of year and such. Here in ks it could be 70 today and 20 tomorrow so it would be handy for traveling as well as here at home. i realy like the predator evolution, and the max1 for here it works great and out west on mule deer. but i cant get it in any thing i like like bucksuede. i am gonna get the light wool for layering in the merino wool just need to find the outer stuff now. thanks guys for all your input jake

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
I wear wool starting now.  Surplus army trousers and a Swandri over coat. Weight means nothing compared to being cold.  You can always shed as you hunt.  It was 15 degrees yesterday and a slight breeze.  This morn it was 31 and I slipped up on a spike and 3 does at 40 yards.  Slipping thru unbelievable multiflora rose patches.  The synthetics are expensive for we really old guys, altHo they are great.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline JockC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 07:05:00 PM »
I avoid buying from Cabela's, but for an all around western camo clothing the microtex in regular outfitter camo is great and not pricey, especially since they put it on sale every fall. Stay away from the fire in this stuff, though; my pants look like a shotgun hit them.  I love the outfitter berber, especially in lighter weights. Like wool, that stuff reflects no light, as opposed to a flat finish.  The advice on merino underwear and First Lite uppers is spot on, especially in terms of sweat smell; wait for a sale.  Kuiu is excellent stuff, particularly in aspens or open country.  I'm a little mixed on Sitka, but very fond of Core4Element technical clothing that comes up on camofire.com all the time.  That is terrific clothing for pretty darned reasonable coin.  If I'm not in steep country but just harassing whitetails, surplus wool pants and Asbell, Day One, or other wool upper (I watch the returns, remainders, and used stuff for me and my son).  If it's windy, I wear a light OD nylon pullover I got from some surplus place and light nylon workout pants.  I don't mess with the windliner options; most are pretty noisy when it gets cold.  Cabela's windlining is the worst in this regard in my experience.
Jock
TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting should be hard.

Offline JockC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 07:14:00 PM »
P.S.  If you decide to try the Core4Element stuff, wait until it comes up on Camofire.  I don't recall the discount, but it's in the neighborhood of 60%.  If I recall correctly, I bought their heavier pants, jacket, and paid shipping for about two c-notes.  Not cheap, but way cheaper than Sitka, and fully worth it for mountain hunting.  The fit for me is also better than Sitka.
Jock
TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting should be hard.

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2011, 11:58:00 PM »
I personally don't think there is any one best line of clothes for where I hunt or my style of hunting, Nv and Utah. One day it can be 90 degrees and the next it can be 30 with 30 mile an hour winds and you're freezing your behind off.      :D    

I've tried a lot of different clothes and anything synthetic stinks after 2 or 3 days, wool doesn't. So merino wool is the base. I've been out in the heat in firstlite lano's and the kuiu base layers and it was not to bad at all. I prefer the kuiu because of the zipper.

The next layer has got to be the firstlite Labrador sweater. I have found that the 225 to 250 bases are a waste of time. If it gets cold enough you have to put it on, these weights are not going to be enough. The 400 weight is mighty nice when the temps start dropping. If it gets really cold throw on a kuiu spindrift or sitka kelvin jacket over that. For snow or rain with some wind or not, add cabelas mto50. At this point I am as snug as a bug in a rug no matter how cold it gets.

Legs are another matter but I really like kuiu's attack pants. I also own 2 pairs of sitka mtn pants but the attack pant is better made with better material imo. I usually don't wear anything underneath but if it gets nasty I pull on the kuiu chugach pant. The mto50 pant fits me like a tent, the chugach is just right. The chugach is a little noisier than mto50 but not as bad as the sitka raingear.

ymmv

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 01:08:00 AM »
Microtex in outfitter is my choice.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©