3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New quiver too white  (Read 650 times)

Offline dj

• Trad Bowhunter
New quiver too white
« on: January 14, 2007, 10:10:00 AM »
After sending my deer hide to a tannery, I received back a beautiful, soft, WHITE piece of leather.  I decided to try my hand at making a plains style quiver from it.  The quiver turned out ok for a first attempt, but when I took it into the woods yesterday for some stumping and hopefully a squirell or two, I discovered two major drawbacks.  First, a plains style quiver is not to my liking.....a quick adjustment to the strap allowed me use it as a back quiver of sorts, and secondly, it's stark whiteness made me feel like I stood out like a neon sign in the woods.  Before I experiment and possibly ruin my quiver, can anyone suggest a way to darken it to a medium or dark brown?

thanks....dj
"Carve a little wood, pull a few strings, and sometimes magic happens".....Gepetto

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New quiver too white
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 10:48:00 AM »
It shouldn't take much to change the whitness to a slightly darker shade that wouldn't be so obvious. In the post on buck skins it was noted that buck skins are some of the best camo out there. Not because they have a pattern on them or that they are a darker color but the fact, I believe, that this type of material absorbs light rather than reflects light.
   You can probably add enough color by dying with tea or coffee(or other natural stains) and get good results, or if you'd rather, the use of Rit dye or other commercial dyes.
   I have never done this so take what I say with a grain of salt.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New quiver too white
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 10:56:00 AM »
if ya lived in NY it would be a perfect snow camo quiver!  :D
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©