3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: MASONARY NAILS Pics added  (Read 687 times)

Offline KILLER B

• Trad Bowhunter
MASONARY NAILS Pics added
« on: July 12, 2007, 07:18:00 PM »
Hello out there. Today when i was at the hardware store devising a way to make a three piece take down without buying the washers and insert thingy from Binghams but still use the same concept. ( i will show you guys and galls the final picks of them, heck i might even do a build along for them)
   Any who as I was walking by the nails I noticed the masonary nails and thought I bet I can make a trade point from one of those so picked some up. Have any of you ever made a trade point from these?  I will show some pics of these too unless they turn, out well realy bad.
Sticks and stones break deer bones.
One final word -Ramalamashamjam-

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: MASONARY NAILS Pics added
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »
I wanna see!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 08:07:00 PM »
Will be interesting to see as they have a very hard temper.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline KILLER B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 08:20:00 PM »
I AM GONNA BEAT EM LIKE THEY OWE ME MONEY  :knothead:

Offline Adam Keiper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 09:09:00 PM »
Never tried them as a trade point, but I have hafted them on as field points.  (Hint: If you have one, take a little electronic pocket balance with you and sort through the bin to get the weights you want.)

Offline KILLER B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 09:46:00 PM »
I sized em up pretty close and I have an old tip scale or whatever you want to call it that I can measure them right down to the grain.  I wil let you know how they turn out.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 08:31:00 AM »
Don't know about trade points but they make good scrapers, gouges and carving tools.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 12:22:00 PM »
You should anneal(sp)(heat ti cherry red and let them slowly cool) them first before you hammer them then temper them again after shaping and putting an edge on them. You probably won't get very far just pounding the heck out of them.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 05:21:00 PM »
Killer B,

In your first post, you said you were looking for "inserty things and washers".  I didn't have any luck with beveled washers, but you can see what I did on my El Cheapo Build-along.  You can get the inserty thingies for about $1.05 from Lowes in brass, and I found the proper beveled flat cap screws from a specialty bolt/hardware store here in Augusta for 0.50 each - oh, and also able to get the guide pins for a quarter a piece.  Could not find the bolts at Lowes or HomeDepot though.  I made my limbmounts like a ChekMate, with the bolts flush in phenolic.  I like the look and they haven't blown up yet!  The threaded inserts are a little different, with thin self tapping threads.  I drilled the hole the size of the insert body, then I back bored a little larger the first 1/8" or so to help the threads bite.  My build along describes how to use a bolt, nut and rachet to drive them in.  I used the drill through method with an overlay versus the Bingham drill jig.  Here's a few photos, plus you can do a PowWow search for El Cheapo to find the build along.  As to beating points out of masonry nails...you're on your own!

Here's driving it into the riser:

Finished insert and pin:

Finished limbmount:

Offline KILLER B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 07:54:00 PM »
SOS, I like the phenolic idea but i am going to countersink the heads of some lag bolts for washers i think they were like 48 cents a piece at lowes and the contersink bit was about 5 dollars, and I can use it until I wear it out. The camera and I are headed to the shed saturday or maybe sunday hopefully both days but we will see what my better half has for me to do.  :banghead:

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 10:01:00 PM »
KB,

From your description...I don't have a clue as to what you are planning. Thank goodness for digital cameras, will be interesting to see what you are inventing for us to try!

Maybe I'm an idiot, but it did not seem like your standard store bought countersink had the same angle as the flat cap screws.  I had to play around with the 1/2" countersink and back bore with some big drills to get the bolt to sit deep enough with a good bearing surface on the phenolic.  Good luck.

Steve

Offline KILLER B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »
SOS my attempt at makeing the insert thingy's is failing misserably What i planned on using was the heads of some lag bolts. I even heated them them with a homemade bellows i made from some pipe a trash bag and a square fan i'll show picks of that too you guys will get a kik out it.  Any way they are just so hard I cannot get the countersink to go into them. Plus it's been about 100 degrees give or take a few for about two weeks now. Way to hot to spend time in my shed right now.  However the masonary heads have turned out well though.  I need to get the arrows finished so I can show everybody.

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 09:47:00 PM »
WUPS two differant pages in 1, love both ideas. And they sound solid!

One mans quest gone astray, leads to the point  :readit:  

Brent

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 09:57:00 PM »
OH by the way KILLER B I have some in the shop Nails that is. I'll send for free. Hate to see yours abused  :readit:    :jumper:

Brent

Offline KILLER B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 10:02:00 PM »
Thats pretty funny but. Soon I will get some pics on here and show how they turned out pretty good i'd say I was shooting one I finished fletching this morning and was impressed how well it was flying.

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 10:06:00 PM »
It is and was a super idea!! And I'm not kidding  :thumbsup:  The mother of invention is only seeing something no one else did. Thanks for sharing it, and I look forward to seeing them!

Brent

Offline KILLER B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 09:25:00 PM »
I was going to load them onto my computer this morning before work and went to turn on my camera and nothing happened i need to get a new battery for it. Hopefully tomarro after i get back from Gatlinburg. Going to a friend of the family's wedding then i think i am going to ask my own girlfriend to mary me. I have had the ring for a few weeks now and just can't ever get things to be just right.  This weekend for sure though big things to come.....

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2007, 09:34:00 PM »
Dang Killer, when you start forgeing things, stand back. Sparks are gonna fly!   :D   Smack me in the head with a hammer. Never mind smack your own   :bigsmyl:

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
PS again, are you teasing us with this concrete stuff again  :biglaugh:  

Brent

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »
After reading this thread, I feel I have learned....... some thing?   :banghead:
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©