3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadheads  (Read 497 times)

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadheads
« on: November 04, 2011, 04:43:00 PM »
I am very new to traditional..so,I would like to know what type and brand of broadheads are used. I am most likely going to be using a 45lb Martin Savannah for Whitetails. I assume you guys only use cut on contact fixed blade style heads. So..lets hear the suggestions..maybe some arrow suggestions also?

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadheads
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 06:47:00 PM »
I shoot Surewood arrows, tiped with Aboyer brown bear 175gr... I also use some Grizzly stick carbon shaft, but will switch to 100% surewood, they are heavy and shoot great!! there is so many different good BH on the market, 2 blades, 3 blades, 4 blades, screw on, glue on, vented, unvented, single bevele, double bevel...

It look like the trend is in 2 blades BH, zweyky is popular, aboyer and many others. I think the 3 blades Woodsman, is an other popular one...

No mather what you choose, get them real sharp and place it where it count!!

Good luck

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
STOS and Zwickey are popular; with that bow and whitetails 2 blade is a good choice.

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 06:59:00 PM »
Basically what David said, I like the Surewoods also for woodies, they are top of the line wood arrows. For carbons I like the Beman MFX. For heads there are just too many good ones out there.

I've been a STOS fan myself for years. Of the new ones out there Abowery,Tuffhead and VAP are all excellent choices and Zwickey has been killing for years and years.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline 1kwikstik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 07:02:00 PM »
I've been shooting 2 blade magnus 125 gr. for years. They fly great and do a fine job for me.
What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us. What we have done for others lasts forever.

Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
I'm another fan of STOS broadheads when I'm shooting a heavy arrow setup.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by 1kwikstik:
I've been shooting 2 blade magnus 125 gr. for years. They fly great and do a fine job for me.
But with a 45lb bow..how heavy of arrow am I best off with? including the broadhead weight.

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Night Wing:
I'm another fan of STOS broadheads when I'm shooting a heavy arrow setup.
Do those screw in? or glue on?

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
STOS and Zwickey are popular; with that bow and whitetails 2 blade is a good choice.
How many grains do you think I should be shooting,,total arrow weight I mean.

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »
I shoot zwickey no mercy single bevel . Tough broadheads.
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »
But with a 45lb bow..how heavy of arrow am I best off with? including the broadhead weight.
The standard answer would be to shoot 9-10 Grains per pound of bow weight at your draw, that being a standard hunting weight arrow and with 11-12 GPP a heavy arrow. 450-550 grains total weight would be fine. STOS is glue on only Zwickey makes both.

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »
ill give one suggestion,contact matt(magnus)on this site he is a sponsor here and he will point you in the right direction,even if you dont buy his arrows he will help you with any and all questions.....
i like biscuits

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by stevewills:
ill give one suggestion,contact matt(magnus)on this site he is a sponsor here and he will point you in the right direction,even if you dont buy his arrows he will help you with any and all questions.....
How do I find him?

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Scattergun2570:

Originally posted by 1kwikstik:
But with a 45lb bow..how heavy of arrow am I best off with? including the broadhead weight. [/b]
Stingers? Buzzcuts?

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 08:06:00 PM »
Do a search for this stuff..you will be busy reading for days. Everything you are asking has been answered 100's of times.
   :thumbsup:

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
If deer is your main game and your bow will shoot a 500+ grain arrow with some authority I would recommend the woodsman elite/VPA Terminator in a 175 grain head (or above) depending on tuning with some sort of carbon shaft. If your planning on using an arrow weighing less than 500 grains I would recommend the Stos, zwickeys, or magnus heads.
James Kerr

Offline hammer08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2011, 02:04:00 AM »
Assuming you draw 28", I'd recommend a 2216 shaft with either a 150gr. Woodsman or a 160gr. Zwickey Eskimo. That should put you over 500 grains total.

Offline 8leg-lover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2011, 03:25:00 AM »
The absolute bare minimum for how many grains of total arrow weight per pound of bow weight is 8 grains. Always check with bow builder to be sure. So you're shooting 45# which would give you a minimum arrow weight of 360gr. I personally like to keep my arrows at 9.6-9.8 grains per pound of bow weight. For the way I shoot and how I like my bows to perform and feel when shot, this is pretty much my rule of thumb.

Just remember when it comes to trad bows, broadhead sharpness and arrow weight does the killing. Kinetic energy and a well placed shot takes care of the rest.

My opinion only. Hope it helps.
By the way I shoot Montec 125 gr heads on a Carbon Express Heritage 250 arrow.

You will find folks on here with a vast knowledge of about any trad question you can think to ask. You won't find a better group anywhere period.

Best of luck
Carl Kossuth

"Currently shooting whatever strikes my fancy"

"PERFECT practice makes perfect"

Offline Lonala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2011, 06:00:00 AM »
Check out Twig Archery they have great shafts excellent service.Call them and they will take care of your needs shafts are straight and I think within 10 grains per dozen.Im shooting Chundoo shafts 5/16 nock end and 23/64 broadhead end with 125 gr Ace Broadhead.Total weight 527gr from a Bear Kodiak Mag green stripe 51# @28in 55/60 shaft BOP 28.5in I draw 27in.Aloha
Grizzly Stik Qarbon Nano QN2 53#@28 64"
Wesley Speacial 64" 58@27
Vixen 66"55#@28

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2011, 07:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by Scattergun2570:
I am very new to traditional..so,I would like to know what type and brand of broadheads are used. I am most likely going to be using a 45lb Martin Savannah for Whitetails. I assume you guys only use cut on contact fixed blade style heads. So..lets hear the suggestions..maybe some arrow suggestions also?
since yer new to trad, if you haven't already read this article, give it a look over -  trad archery for bowhunters .

yes, a coc broadhead ONLY.  any and all will kill a deer if you do your part during the hunt, take yer pick for what you like best.  consider this - twin, three, four blades - they're all good as long as you can make 'em super sharp and keep 'em that way in the field.

make sure to test out a broadhead for flight - short and wide heads might offer wind planing, while most long and narrower heads will typically fly better.

more blades will almost always mean more/quicker blood loss if you hit the critter reasonably well.

i love wood arrows, but i don't think they're the best choice for someone new to trad and learning form as they are the least overall consistent shaft material.  stick with super durable carbons shafts - they're not that difficult to get to fly well, are very tweakable for weight and foc, and for a 45# holding weight that might be at around 28", any 500 or even 600 spine carbon will work out just fine for ya, i promise.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©