3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: When nature calls???  (Read 1052 times)

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: When nature calls???
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2011, 09:20:00 PM »
Ishoot4thrills reminds me of another good reason not to drink mountain dew!
Packing pee bottles around does have it's risks...

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
I don't carry a bottle, and still try to write my name in the snow like when I was a kid.      :banghead:    

Gene     ;)
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »
i just pee.

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »
BigJim are you saying we need to pick a spot when we pee from a stand???  Sometimes I think we carry this trad thing too far but maybe I need to rethink. Just askin'.   ;)  

JW
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline WTT03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2011, 11:42:00 PM »
I answer the "call" every year, I never think twice about it. I have never seen any adverse affects from it. I say, just do it.
Todd

« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2011, 12:06:00 AM »
There was one dude who always took bottled water to his stand on public land. Towards the end of the year there about a dozen of those bottles with pee in them tossed in the draw near my blind. It does not scare deer, almost every knows this, but still the scent purists are peeing in bottles. I had it once that I was quitting smoking, so I was drinking extra strong coffee and chewing truck loads of gum. One of those rare times when I actually went up the tree with my climber tree stand, after relieving my self numerous times and spitting Juicy Fruit gum as far as I could, going for distance and accuracy, I had two yearling does walk through where I wet the ground to where I was spitting my gum and started sniffing my gum. One gobbled up two pieces of gum that I successfully landed on my targeted log. We get too wound up about this smell stuff, but a fawn got down wind of me the other day about 80 yards out, snorted and ran off. Maybe, I should have peed when I got to my spot, the deer lure I had didn't do its job.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2011, 11:43:00 AM »
Re the male vs. female pee, I've seen a scrape where my pregnant wife peed a few days before.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »
I used to bowhunt with an older guy (Heck, he must have been 45 when I was 30) and, on coming into his house after a hunt I noticed he took his Thermos out of his pack and left it on the porch.  Some time later I was picking him up and he went outside, got the Thermos and filled it with coffee.  I asked him why he left the Thermos outside.

His habit was to drink the coffee in the stand and then pee into the Thermos.  Once, years before, his wife was doing the dishes and dumped what she thought was cold coffee into the sink.  Wasn't coffee.  Since then she would not allow the Thermos back in the house - period.

:biglaugh:  

I never pee near a tree-stand or ground blind.  Guess I can extend my hunts after listening to you guys.  I still-hunt a ways, answer the call, and then work around back to the stand.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2011, 12:03:00 PM »
I don't think the scent of urine has ever cost me a shot at a deer.  I'm more concerned about the sound of peeing, and suspect that splattering on the ground from a tree stand might alarm an unseen whitetail (I can't imagine letting go while seeing one :>)  )
Jim

Offline bryan r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2011, 12:06:00 PM »
According to the trail cam, I had two bucks and four does visit my "coffee scrape" yesterday evening. A 6 ptr and a 10 that has been making the rounds... Not sure if that answers any questions, but I'm fairly convinced human urine makes no difference. Pee freely.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2011, 12:12:00 PM »
Gene Wensel write in his latest book the he just pees from the stand.  I'd have to say that it must not matter with the bucks those guys are seeing.

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2011, 12:38:00 PM »
I've always just pee'd. I pee in mock scrapes and real ones if I can find them. Never had an adverse reaction, but have had deer start working a scrape right after I pee'd in it.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »
Once my buddy and I built a BIG ground blind.
We kept pee'n in one corner.

The spot started to smell like an un-cleaned urinal.

We are both coffee drinkers and that didn't help I'm sure.
We did notice a decline in activity after it started to smell...could've been the smell or just coincidence.

Other than that instance I haven't noticed any change in deer activity due to the smell of urine.

Guess I'd just suggest "spreading" it around a bit.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »
A couple of years back,  I decided to just go from the tree. Less than 30 minutes later a good sized doe came along.  As she neared the wet spot from down wind,  she got all tense, stiff legged walk, and turned around heading out in a hurry.  Since then I use a bottle.

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2011, 04:27:00 PM »
Yup, I started a mock scrape in my backyard and have been freshening it up every day.....I have a trail cam on it and have both bucks and does checking it out every day!

It has been an interesting experiment!

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2011, 04:49:00 PM »
Only problem I've ever had was gettin busted by an unseen deer due to movement and noise. Once so far this year.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline El gran J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2011, 05:23:00 PM »
You listen to some of those "experts" on those hunting shows, and it's like kryptonite for deer.  Good info, I will exercise my God given gift more freely!!
Be Kind, Be Courteous, But always have a plan......

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
Let it fly, man. Pee like a water wiggle and don't give it a second thought.

Offline Joshua Polland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »
After reading this post I left the Pee bottle at home. I went out this morning to a stand that I've been to four or five times this year without seeing a thing. An hour after I pee'd a six pointer walked withing 15 feet of my tree, offered a broadside, then a slight quartering away shot, and walked off. He never knew I was there, or how lucky he was to be in a QDM area!

Offline Shortlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »
Go with the flow. I have found that some days every deer around winds you and some days it doesn't seem to matter. I am sure there are many factors at work. Hunt the wind if you can but don't let it ruin your day if it isn't right. Unless maybe you have done your homework and are hunting a big boy's core area.
Ask me about the Professional Bowhunters Society.
Bobby Parrott

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©