3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: technical traditional bows  (Read 336 times)

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
technical traditional bows
« on: November 06, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »
Over the years, I have bought my stepson several bows. The first was a little black rhino longbow. Then he moved up to a small lewis hollow recurve. When he outgrew that one, I bought him a used RER, 60inch, 37#@28. Well now he is 16 and graduated to my Rick Welch Dakota 46@29.
Now, being a techy, he ask my wife about a C word for christmas. We really do not talk about this word in my house. I guess all of his highschool buddies shoot c words. When I have them at the house, which is about everyday. They would rather shoot the traditional bows.
I talked to my wife, and we thought about a compromise into a technical bow like a DAS that you could add gadgets to. I know that it is hard to find a DAS riser or a Complete bow. I thought about the DAS dala that three rivers has. Have any of you had experiance with these types of bows. I am shooting an A&H because because I it light physical weight and my preferance. For recurves, I really like Rick's Dakota so I am no help to the technical or machined bows.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: technical traditional bows
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 09:26:00 AM »
The Dalaa riser is a great platform to build a bow off of.  If you want to add ACS ILF longbow limbs to it give me a call.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Adrian Farmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »
Tim:

I just purchased a Dalaa from 3 Rivers about three weeks ago. I have been thinking about this purchase for about two years, and finally made the plunge. I like traditional wood bows, which I have been shooting for almost 40 years.  The Dalaa, however, has a camo finish, although as a hunting bow it is attractive in its own way.  After shooting it for three weeks, I must say that it is a fantastic bow. It is very quiet, has a very smooth draw, it shoots where you look, and it shoots very fast for its draw weight (I bought the carbon/foam limbs).  It comes setup to shoot off the shelf, and can be adjusted (for draw weight, center shot, tiller) or can simply be left alone as it comes out of the box.  Moreover, one can use limbs from many sources (ILF limbs), so it might be a good initial choice for a young archer with changing needs and preferences.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."--A. Einstein

Offline jim ratcliff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »
My son has both...he picks up the old browning nomad stalker 9 out of 10 times we shoot! He shoots both very well but is drawn to the recurve!
well....let's go let the air out'a one!

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 05:38:00 PM »
I know it's easier said than done, and I might catch a cedar arrow in the back for saying this, but I'd let him explore his own options even if that means helping him procure a non-traditional bow.  I'll bet the farm knowing that in the end he'll end up right where he started, but with a better appreciation for why he's there.  Just my 2 cents.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »
What NBK said. Life is about choices and learning from them. And if you push to much he will convert permenatly for spite...LOL
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 06:32:00 PM »
If he has to buy his own "add ons" for the training wheel bow then he'll quickly figure out he either needs to stay with his trad bows or get a better job....lol.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
I think let him do what he wants to do. I see to many traditional shooters who downgrade compounds. I say to each his own. I don't want to shoot a compound but I won't stop anyone who does.
James Kerr

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
I have started my kids off on longbows. Was thinking about this the other day. When its time for them to get a hunting bow I'm going to let them get whatever they want. If I get lucky enough to have both of them want to hunt with me I dont care what they shoot.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline ProArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »
Night Stalker
As they say if you love something let it go if it truly was to be he will come back to his roots. I started shooting traditional then a friend gave me a compound (used from a yard sale ) It was an old PSE with a cobra sight with one pin that wobbled when you moved the bow, but it didn’t matter I didn’t use the sight for a long time. Then came another compound and another and the gadgets started piling up and I found with the compound shoots where getting too easy. Then came nock shooting (expensive).  The challenge just was not in it any more. Well long story a little shorter I am shooting a PSE Coyote recurve. I came back to my roots and the challenge is back.
People need to get a life. That dose not mean to take someone else’s, or to make one they can't support.

If you fish and hunt only to catch or kill something. You have MISSED THE POINT COMPLETELY.

Offline bihunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 08:32:00 PM »
I have a rick Welch Dakota longbow. I love it!

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
I agree with NBK on this. I think you will find he will come around and even if he doesn't you will have a fine hunting partner.

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
I have had a 17" risered daala and have a 21" in the works so I like them. So much you can do to set them up in a host of fashions. Like LB's? You can do this as wingnut mentioned (he, dryad bows, makes excellent limbs that work very well on the daala). Like recurves? Daala again a good choice. You can change grips from extra low to high, adjust #'s, tiller etc. Bottom line it is extremely versatile.

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »
Thanks guys for the ideas, I will copy and paste for my wife to read. He shoots the Welch Dakota really well. For the cost of a C bow, you can buy a dala and change stuff. I think my Dakota is a little to much bow for him and he shoots it fast. I really like the idea that I could put an oval site on there for him.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline lil red rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 12:33:00 AM »
I might have a different perspective on this.  I am almost 23 years old and have shot traditional since I was a kid.  I still have my first recurve, a Bear '76er with the magnesium handle.  Like your household, the c word was a cuss word growing up.  My dad and grandpa both shot traditional.  I would give him the decision.  I got a couple of recurves growing up, but when it came time for me to purchase my own I ended up with a longbow.  I looked at some compounds in secret growing up, even shot a few of my friends.  But, after I took my buddies Bear compound and put 3 arrows dead center, and then watched him lose two of my arrows, I had a sense of satisfaction.  Let him see the difference.  I bet if he gets a compound he trades it in within a year.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 01:06:00 AM »
I shoot 3 bows:  a longbow, recurve, and an old-school compound.  I like them all.  I shoot all three with the same fingertab, and find that each has its positives and negatives.  I shoot the trad bows mostly, but just tonight was wondering whether I might take the compound out for a hunt this season.  

To end up shooting a compound isn't the unpardonable sin, is it?  Life is full of different experiences.  I would think it a shame to hear that a person just chose his equipment because he wanted to take the easiest way out... but also it would be a shame to feel that he must choose a set of equipment because, if not, a family member or the TradGang guys might look down on him.  That probably isn't the way his family is making him feel... but that is the way a lot of youngsters feel about such decisions.  I know I did.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Huck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 01:28:00 AM »
I'll go with NBK and the others above, let him decide what kind of bow to shoot.  You'll keep your hunting buddy longer if he's happy and confident in his equipment, and really isn't that what it's all about, time spent afield chasing animals.  Does it really matter what kind of bow he's carrying as long as he's there?

Just my $.02.

Good Luck,

Huck

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©