3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Guy w/ A Couple Questions..  (Read 263 times)

Offline JINKSTER

• Trad Bowhunter
New Guy w/ A Couple Questions..
« on: November 06, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »
?#1. I have a 20 year old Bob Lee Take-Down Hunter..54#s@28"...62"amo..Classic Style Riser..anybody know what the BH on this bow should be?

and?...

?#2. Just last weekend i fletched up a dozen easton XX75 Superlite 2013's and with 125gr screw in combo points are flying fantastic and will be great for Trad BB 3D but probably too lite and not so great for broadhead/white-tail hunting..been looking at what i hear is supposed to be really great hunting weight arrows.."Grizzlystik"..but looking at their website they are quite pricey as are the "Silver Flame" BH's i would like to use..are these arrows/bh's truely all that?..worth the expense?..or are they just braggin rights gear?

T.I.A. and L8R, Bill.   :)
"ONLY A SPIRITUALLY MATURE DISCIPLINED SOUL CAN TRUELY MASTER A TRADITIONAL BOW"

and i know that's true cause as a younger man i usta call'em a "pull-n-pray"

Offline jimneye

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Guy w/ A Couple Questions..
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 10:14:00 AM »
I would start at 8 1/2 in brace and adjust up or down.
 Your current arrows are fine for whitetail.
  Good Luck
I've hunted almost every day of my life.....the rest were just wasted

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 10:15:00 AM »
Welcome to the fir efor starters. I shoot long bows and wood. Any BH placed in the spot (if sharp) will do the job,Price doesnt matter.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 10:35:00 AM »
I agree your arrows are fine for deer.  If you want to get into heavier arrows you can do well with several options (such as Heritage 250) to grizzly sticks, which in my mind are for doctors and lawyers.  Look at solid Zwickey and Mangus broadheads and such and you will be in good shape.  Placement is everything and equipment is not too important.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline JINKSTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by jimneye:
I would start at 8 1/2 in brace and adjust up or down.
 Your current arrows are fine for whitetail.
  Good Luck
hugh..for current BH I just measured and from the deepest part of the grip to C/L of the string i get 7 1/2"s on the button..bottom tiller is at 6 5/8"...top tiller is at 6 3/4"..know it's an old bow but i'm hesitant to twist an extra inch of BH into the string. ???
"ONLY A SPIRITUALLY MATURE DISCIPLINED SOUL CAN TRUELY MASTER A TRADITIONAL BOW"

Offline JINKSTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by stevem:
I agree your arrows are fine for deer.  If you want to get into heavier arrows you can do well with several options (such as Heritage 250) to grizzly sticks, which in my mind are for doctors and lawyers.  Look at solid Zwickey and Mangus broadheads and such and you will be in good shape.  Placement is everything and equipment is not too important.
gotcha..rich man gear..i have some GT5575's and thinking if i glue on some 5" full helical feathers and screw on some heavy 200-250gr BH's i might get enough spine flex to get them to fly true...i could experiment with heavy field points first just to see before shelling out for broadheads..whatchyall think?

Offline jimneye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 01:19:00 PM »
Bill, if your getting good arrow flight and no string slap on the bow arm you should be fine.  The 8.5 is just a starting point.  I adjust my BH to fine tune my setup.   Now practice up and go kill something. Rich
I've hunted almost every day of my life.....the rest were just wasted

Offline JINKSTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »
Whelp..went to Bob Lee's Website and and got the proper BH#s (which was 7 3/4"- 8"..got it at 7 3/4s now) and was hesitant to download quicktime player to veiw instructional vids but glad i did for a number of reasons..one was i've had a slight "tink" sound that past few times i drew and only on the first draw..but lay it down for a day and draw again?..and "tink" again..turns out a couple months back (when i drug this bow out of it's mothballs and cobwebs) i let the local pro go over it..new center serving/nocking point..tied in some catwhiskers and?..he applied black moleskin between the string and the limbs..that "Tink" was the result of my flemish twist string (after so much practicing lately) crushing and cutting through the moleskin and into it's adhesive backing..i.e. the string was sticking to the limb..ironically?..the vids on bob lee's website make a point of stressing never to apply moleskin in that area..and it you want to quiet string slap to soak 8"s of both ends of the flemish string in laquor thinner which removes all wax and softens the string material..so i tore my whole bow down this morning..used isopropyl alcohol (sparingly as possible) to remove the glue residue left behind by the moleskin i peeled off..soaked my string ends in laquor thinner..cleaned and paste waxed the entire bow piece by piece..even cleaned the thin rubber limb pads and soaked them down with silicone spray..and in doing so found the birthdate of my Bob Lee Hunter..04/04/01..then I put the bow back together and twisted the string to a 7 3/4" BH and she shoot'in great!    :)  

Sorry i bugged ya'll with the silly BH question..but at least now i know how informative Bob Lee's website is especially after downloading quicktime player to watch the vids and learn..thanks again, Bill.    :)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »
the most important thing about your tackle is that you can easily handle the bow's holding weight at your draw length, and that your reasonable weight arrows (8gpp minimum) have excellent flight w/broadheads, and that your coc broadheads are truly sharp, and that you can maintain reasonably consistent accuracy at hunting distances at your hunting venues.  the rest will be up to your hunting/shooting/tracking skills.  anything else is peripheral.  good luck!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©