3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Getting deer out whole  (Read 1729 times)

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
Getting deer out whole
« on: November 06, 2011, 12:09:00 PM »
I hunt a Wildlife Management Area here in LA. that is very much unlike the rest of the state, very steep, rugged river brakes. If I used one, Wildlife and Fisheries in their wisdom allows A.T.V.s access on the normally closed foot trails to retrieve game, yet will not allow cutting up a deer and packing it out. Again, ruling out an A.T.V. I would appreciate suggestions on getting a whole field-dressed deer out of the area I've described.

Offline DGF

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Getting deer out whole
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
The power of friends!   :D  

Although the terrain you have described sounds far worse than what I have to deal with around here I have found a jet sled makes dragging a deer much easier. Add a friend and life just got even easier.

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »
Might try one of those deer sleds. Just google "deer sled" and you will have several different options to look at.

Bisch

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 12:35:00 PM »
It's the same situation here in SC. The best option is to have a couple of young, able-bodied fellows at the ready. Outside of that, I've used nothing more than a rope to drag many out.

I once tried to use a kid's snow sled. It worked great on flat ground, but not so much on steep hills. Going up, it would want to slide back down and the lack of friction made it a constant battle. Going down hill, well, you better hang on. A 200 lb load in a slick sled can go amazing fast on pine needles.

A friend has a fancy one wheeled cart, but using it is definitely a two person affair. Four is better. His does have a brake on it and a big wheel, so it rolls over logs and such pretty well. It is huge, though. We never tried it on really steep terrain. It would be difficult on some of the steep stuff around here.

I'm looking at getting a Game Sled. It's got some built in handles and looks to be a pretty tough material.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 12:49:00 PM »
I had one of the warren and sweat one -wheeled devils.

The shoulder strap was a tad short, kinked my neck something awful and I had to do a 1/2 curl to hold it up by the handles to travel and couldn't rest on my shoulders.

It was precarious at best and a bitter fued on steep hills...forget side hills.

I bought a NonTypical 2 wheeled cart. It's collapsable. The wheels are splayed out (/\\) to allow for sidehilling. It telescopes down to a small package with the wheels tucked into the middle and has back pack straps.

It's not light, but I tend to gut my deer, drape it over a log and then hoof back to the truck to change out of hunting duds and put on ugly street clothes to go back and hump out the deer with the cart.

Depending on how FAR back you go, that might not work. I've also assembled the rig, put my stand, bow and gear in it and lashed it all down and threw a piece of camo netting on it and taken everything in with me...then just covered up the stand aaway from my stand and threw the netting over it where I coudl still watch for the odd interloper to try a "carpe dium" (?)(sieze the day)

I learned from others that you do NOT want a 2 wheeler with straight up and down wheels...   :eek:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »
I have been using one of the Cabelas two wheel game carts with good results. Only issue using it on extremely wet, soft ground as the tires/wheels are the hard bicycle type tire. A dual wheel kit is an option and available with original purchase. I pull it uphill and go downhill behind it, holding the weight back. Steeps grades (up or down) are easier with a strong friend! Do a search as there are several brands and some good deals to be had. Good luck! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
I was thinking about the same thing Jim. I just don't see anything but a couple of friends and a sled working.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Aunty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 01:19:00 PM »
Just pack them out on your back. That's how we do it with our red deer ect on the front hock make a vertical cut down to the hoof that should give you a pocket to work with nxt take the deers back leg and push it through the slit you have made on the front leg grab the rear leg and push it right past there knee joint. Then you have a pack to carry out make sure to put your hands on the deers rear legs help with the balance a little and is a good place to hang your bow. The head I usually cut off and leave it because it will swing around and donk you on the head. It's not hard thought if you want the head just pick it and thread the antler through the hole you cut for the rear leg to go onto. The bigger the deer the better they are more comfortable. Hope this helps.

Offline rod251

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 01:26:00 PM »
If you're close to Jackson/Bienville I'd be glad to give you a hand toting one out.  I'm always eager to make new hunting buddies.  I have an ATV as well, so unless you're just opposed to using one, we could use it too.  Heck, I bought it for the sole purpose of retrieving deer and hogs on Jackson/Bienville.

Offline sou-pawbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »
If you have a navigable stream below your hunting ground you could canoe it out.
Molon labe

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
I put the four hooves together, grab them with my right hand, lift, and carry it out.
    :bigsmyl:  

Ok I actually did that with one of my early deer, a doe fawn.

I use a converted two wheel dolly / cart with the wide pneumatic tires.  I added a snap in place platform that fits at more of an angle than the original one and I can use it for hauling "stuff" as well as a deer.  This one has built in "stairs rails" along the back so going over logs is really not all that difficult.

or

I have an old "deer sleigh'er", which is a sheet of heavy gauge plastic sheet that the deer gets kashed to and provides a sclicker drag surface.
ChuckC

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 03:04:00 PM »
Thanks for all the replies and for the offers of help. Richard, I have carried out a pronghorn in relatively flat country in Montana using exactly that method but he probably weighed 75 lbs. field dressed. I am not allowed to remove the head and since the distance here could easily be 1 to 1 1/2 miles with the easy part utilizing a mostly dry drainage with blow-downs to be crawled over/under it looks like calling friends is the way. Makes me wish I had been nicer to people, the small number of people I can think to call may well turn me down if I tell them what they would be getting into.

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »
I bet you could find some teenage boys that would love to be on call for just such an event.  I'd call the local scout troop or the 4h club and see if you could make a contact. Offer them a nice steak dinner, or to take them hunting or fishing.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »
Thanks Looper,I know a couple of prospects like you describe. They may not want to go hunting again after the experience but they would certainly earn a killer steak dinner!

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 03:52:00 PM »
I've got a couple of young guys on standby, too. I got one kid to commit, after I asked if he knew any tough, strong young men that weren't afraid of the dark and were up to helping retrieve a deer or two this fall. How could he say no?

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 04:27:00 PM »
Google neetkart. It will handle elk and is built stout...and has brakes.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »
Ameristep non-typ aluminum.  20# on your back- easy and stable.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 05:00:00 PM »
This is what I use.

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 05:41:00 PM »
I seem to remember a tree stand, Tree Lounge, that had a wheel kit. You could hunt your stand, and if you got lucky, use it to Carry your deer out with. It also had an attachment to add a standing platform for archers.

FR
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2011, 05:48:00 PM »
It is amazing what you can do with a pelican plastic sled, the one that look like a snowmobile skimer, we use it for moose, caridou etc... You say that you can't take the head off, can you take the antlers off??

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©