3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: OHHHH SO CLOSE and on the ground!!!!  (Read 278 times)

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
OHHHH SO CLOSE and on the ground!!!!
« on: November 06, 2011, 12:16:00 PM »
hunted South today in one of my favorite spots. last 2 times i have saw 7 does. all were either coming from or going to a couple fields that i walk through to get to my stands. i KNEW i had to change things up but man do i hate sitting in hedge rows watching fields, i am a Northern hunter at heart! there are 2 scrapes in the first field and ya just know with that many does in the area, this time of year and cool mornings it is JUST A MATTER OF TIME before the big boy shows up. i could just feel it ya know! well i got there this morning and cleared a space about 3 feet deep in the hedge row with my Buffalo knife. i could look right and left to see if anything was coming and i had the scrapes in sight. i would have to wait untill the deer cleared the open area i made in the hedge row, this would give me a long shot of 15 yards accros to the other hedge row or a point bland 3 yard shot on my side. about 40 minutes after i had set up i hear a deer in the brush above me, i am bracing myself for the sight of 5 does when all i see is antlers! a big bodied, basket rack 8 point is walking down the oppisite side of the hedge row, he stops to repeatedly rub trees, lip curl and scent the air. i watch him paw the ground, straddle and pee down his leg and the small scrape. reminds me of my dog Norman as he is old and can not help it. he continues towards me, 3 more steps and i will have the 15 yard shot! he turns to walk accros to my side, still no shot. i can see the snott and slobber running down his nose and mouth. he is now on my side and paws the ground again, here he comes!!!! i have NEVER been this close to a buck before IN MY LIFE!!! 3 more steps and he will be right in the opening i cleared and 3 yards away. so close yet NO POSSIBLE way to shoot through the hedge row untill he hits the opening. he stands and smells the air, takes a hard right and goes to the other side again to hit the branches again!!! no shot, still has the hedge row between us dammmmm!!!!!! he no proceeds to walk back up the trail away from me and wouldn't ya know it i do not have a deer call! i grountwith my mouth and it stops him for a secound untill he moves again, i grount again and he stops looks back for a secound and continues on, not spooked at all as the wind is in my favor. i consider trying to stalk him but i figure it is only a matter of time untill the does show up and he is on them!!! well no such luck as he was the only deer i saw this morning but ohhhhhhh baby what a time! i will DEFINITLY be on the ground more often!!!! made my year!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Re: OHHHH SO CLOSE and on the ground!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 12:23:00 PM »
Cool!! Getting that close is definitely a neat thing to experience.

Get him next time,

Bisch

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 12:23:00 PM »
Bowhunting at it`s best!

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
i would give my left leg to be on vacation right now, can not hunt untill next weekend!!!!! man what i would do to sit there all day tommorow!!!!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »
This year on opening day of the UT Elk season I had 3 cow elk come down a hill side right to where I was standing behind a bit of brush. Two of them ran around and the third one came to a stop on the other side of my brush about 8 feet away. I had my bow up and ready to draw-she was broadside and I could see her eye focusing on me. I came to full draw and shot her right through the heart, a second or two later there was a big crash with her collapsing maybe 30 yards away.  You gotta love hunting on the ground!

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »
i had been ground hunting just a little bit the last couple years, just getting in to it, pretty well hooked now!

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
Great story.....and sounds like your heart just MIGHT have been pounding just a bit!!  :jumper:
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
Close encounters are what trad hunting is all about... I'm not one for tree stands or store bought blinds... The "almosts" on the ground are a lot of fun too.

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©