3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My pull up rope keeps getting tangled up!  (Read 399 times)

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
My pull up rope keeps getting tangled up!
« on: November 06, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »
Do you guys have any ideas for me on how to keep my bow pull up rope from tangling up? I use a store bought rope with the clips on, it's  skinny and constantly getting tangled up in my pack or pocket. i seen some parachute cord at local hardware store im going to make new one out of and need to fig up a way to rig it up so it doesnt look like a bird nest too! thanks
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: My pull up rope keeps getting tangled up!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
I use the roll up strap for years with my climber stand no tangle problems.I use a 1/2" wide strap that I got off the auction site on my lock on stands,got a 1000 FT for like 12.00.I tie it to a limb or the stand and tie a loop on the other end.I just leave it as long as the stand is there.The cords have always tangled.
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »
I use a reel type gadget that I have had for years ,it has a 1/2" web/strap  no tangle that's why I own it !
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 07:14:00 PM »
batman showed me something neat. just tie a loop and the end oh your haul string. simple knot. now slip it between the bow and the bows string and place the loop on the bow tip it wont slip off under the weight of the bow when you haul it up neat and simple to tangled haul line. rv
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 07:17:00 PM »
Use Parachute cord, problem solved

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
I use 1/4" nylon rope. It's slick, and thicker than the store bought pull up rope, so it won't knot up on you.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
If you will hold your thumb and pinky straight out opposite each other then figure 8 the rope around your thumb then pinky over and over it won't tangle when climbing up. Leave about 10" of the rope to wrap around the middle of the figure 8 tucking the end under the final wrap and pull tight. When you get to your stand tie one to your bow and the other on a belt loop. Lay the figure 8 bunch of rope on the ground. As you climb up the rope will unwrap without tangling. After I pull my bow up I'll figure 8 it again readying it for getting down.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
thanks guys!
Broketooth: thanks i will try it out, very simple

Offline DGF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 07:21:00 PM »
I have heard of others using a retractable dog leash and immagine it would work well. Unfortunately, I haven't seen one around town long enough for all my stand sites.

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 07:34:00 PM »
I use a cord that is about 3/32 inch diameter. Made a holder for it out of 1/8 inch thick plastic about 3 inches wide and 6inches long. Cut a v shape in each end and several slots on each edge that the cord will (tightly) slip into. These slots keep the cord from coming unwrapped. Simply wrap the cord around it and pull into one of the slots. Also do like Broketooth tie a loop in the end of the cord it goes between the limb and string and then place the loop over the limb tip
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »
use a strap they also double as a deer drag
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 07:56:00 PM »
I carry a thin rope with clips on it in my pack also and I don’t have any issues with it. I store the rope the way the guy in this video stores his extension cord. Of course the loops I make are a lot smaller than the loops this guy makes, but it gives you the idea of what you need to do to keep your haul line organized.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaEv9wm6gy0&feature=related
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
KentuckyTJ nailed it. The 'figure 8' wrap works every time.
Romans 8:28

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 08:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by KentuckyTJ:
If you will hold your thumb and pinky straight out opposite each other then figure 8 the rope around your thumb then pinky over and over it won't tangle when climbing up. Leave about 10" of the rope to wrap around the middle of the figure 8 tucking the end under the final wrap and pull tight. When you get to your stand tie one to your bow and the other on a belt loop. Lay the figure 8 bunch of rope on the ground. As you climb up the rope will unwrap without tangling. After I pull my bow up I'll figure 8 it again readying it for getting down.
Best method bar none.  You do this once and you'll always carry your rope this way.  Tomes description is lengthy, but it's much more simple than it sounds.
Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
thanks guy!

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
I put a pull rope on each of my stands. That way I can't forget it and it doesn't get tangled up. I put a plastic boat rope cleat screwed on to my stand and wrap the rope around it. Very simple
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »
take a small bottle your rope will fit into, drill a hole in the lid. slip rope through the hole tying a knot on the inside so it can not pull through. Put the lid on the push your rope into the bottle. loop the tag end. use the loop for your tie on point for bow or what not. never tangles, stores easy in the pack or a pocket.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 11:05:00 PM »
I wrap my rope around  the bars of my summit climber. Keeps it nice and tidy and always there when I need it. Never tangles.

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »
I wrap mine like LoweBow but I end up with knots in mine. Once I get too many tight knots I get a new rope. I usually get 3-4 years out of a rope and they are fairly worn at that point anyway.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2011, 01:24:00 PM »
I have a line attached to the seat of all my stands. Always there, never tangled in a pack, simple loop on each end.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©