3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ohio Buck  (Read 917 times)

Offline Michael Golden

• Trad Bowhunter
Ohio Buck
« on: November 06, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
I worked till 12:30 a.m Saturday morning and didn't get home and in bed till after 1 a.m.  I wasn't too sure about going out Saturday morning at 6:30 a.m. So I went ahead and set the alarm for 4:30 a.m. anyways. One of the guys at work offered me to go hunting at his lease earlier in the week and I jumped at the offer not knowing that I would be working late. The alarm got me up and I thought, oh hell this is going to be a long day. Finally, I thought well let's get up and get going, so I rounded things up and headed South to New Philly to meet Ben. From there we headed East to his lease. Once we got there he tried to explain this place to me , but being new to the area I really had no idea where to go. He finally just pointed me to a stand that wasn't too far from truck and would be easy to find.  I got to the stand with just a twinge of light and started to climb, when I heard deer coming so I just hung on till they passed. Once in the stand, the morning went real slow not seeing anything but a small buck all morning. I thought to myself as I was climbing out that this might now have been such a good idea hunting today because I was already exhausted from the lack of sleep. Ben and I met back at the truck at a little after 11 a.m. And he had seen a real nice buck, several doe and about 50 turkey. He wanted to check his trail camera, so we went and grabbed it off the tree down in the pasture and off we went to town to grab a bite to eat and check the pictures at Rite Aid.  We had a good laugh because there were 500 pictures on his sim card but 495 of them were cows!  Back off to the farm we went, and this time I could see where I was going. Ben gave me the choice of stands and I chose to climb the hill to a stand that was perfect for an East wind. I climbed in about 2:30 and just waited and waited and waited.........I didn't see a deer all day and only a handful of squirrels gave me a little entertainment why I sat there dozing in and out day dreaming of a buck running off this hill towards me. Finally, the night was coming to a close -- it was about 6:30 and I could see Ben off in the distance with his flashlight walking down the hill where we were going to meet. I thought shoot, this day is over and I am beat, so I grabbed the string to lower the bow when I heard something coming down the hill and it sounded a buck trotting. I thought to myself no way this is happening, how I was dreaming, well it was. I caught a glimpse at him at 50 yds and was running right behind me down wind. I told myself this is happening pick a spot. As he neared to about 30 yds I could see an outline of the rack and a big body. From there it was auto drive, as he went behind a few trees I drew and held and stared at this leaf until he entered my vision, I then picked that spot and the arrow was gone as he trotted by. I thought to myself that was a perfect shot. He took off down that hill about 70 yds right towards Ben and then I heard a crash. I was shook up and trying to play it all back in my mind as Ben walked up that long hill towards me. I climbed out of the stand once he got to me and he said "have you ever shot a big buck" I responded "nope" he replied "well you have now." I was wound up at this point and he told that he crashed 20 yds from him, but he had not seen him yet and wanted me to see him first. I couldn't get down there quick enough. Once I got my hands around him I couldn't believe that after 4 years of practicing with my recurve it all paid off.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ohio Buck
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
It's a big one all right!

Congratulations!
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
What a dandy buck, good job holding it all together to make the shot. I also think it would look great mounted and placed on your wall!

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 08:05:00 PM »
Wow!  What a buck.  Congrats and thanks for sharing.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Michael Golden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 08:06:00 PM »
What a drag once I got him gutted. It took Ben and I 2 hours of up hill dragging  to get him to the road a half mile away from where we were parked. I was using my Assenheimer 64" 60 @ 28 and I caught both lungs as the arrow passed through. What a hunt well worth the lost sleep at the late night that follwed. I had to have me soon to be father and law drive an hour to pick it up because I had no carry all for the jeep. It turned out being a group effort to get this buck home.

Mike

Offline imhntn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »
That is a doozy!  Congrats on a great hunt!
2 Timothy 2:2

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 08:16:00 PM »
Awesome story and buck !!!

I hope the deer later this week are still on the "look". Were hunting Wednesday, Thursday, Friday.......taking two days off for time with the Grandchildren and then back out the following Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Congrats !!!!!!!!   :archer2:

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
Man, that's a dandy! Congratulations!

Offline soap creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 08:19:00 PM »
Congrats, nice buck.
(Rom. 10:13)

Offline Michael Golden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »
I believe things are just starting here in southeastern Ohio, you should be right in the thick of things winterhawk.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »
Wow he is awesome.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »
Love it when a plan comes together,congrats   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »
What a nice buck!! Congrats!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »
Very nice buck, congratulations!!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline greenie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
Glad to get ya buck tagged out. Now ya wont be stinkin my place up. lol

Offline pacopperhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 08:35:00 PM »
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
Man, he's a good one !

Offline Michael Golden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
I need a doe with a longbow and a cedar Randy, then I will quit stinking your place up! Haha

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
Nice deer, the bucks are just beginning to chase here now.

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
good lord nice buck!  i leave for ohio friday, hope ya saved one for me!
is it September yet??

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©