3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My Kansas Story!!!  (Read 1978 times)

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: My Kansas Story!!!
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :campfire:  You talk about the help you got and Trad Gangers Tim, those that don't know you should know that you are one of those "good ones", you make it easy to have a good time....

Looking forward to the rest of this one.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
Thank you David.

Offline imhntn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
:campfire:  I'm staying tuned for the exciting conclusion!
2 Timothy 2:2

Offline straight_arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2011, 11:06:00 PM »
Tim & Jon I'm here enjoying Tim's sharing of our trip!

Mark
"They're all trophies"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2011, 11:18:00 PM »
Great story so far Tim  :thumbsup:   You've really got my interest - I have a Kansas tag waiting for a late December hunt to come.  It will be my first time hunting that state, and your story is stoking the fire.  :campfire:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Butts2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2011, 07:49:00 AM »
Great story  :readit:  Have to look up some of your previous tales to see if this one just happens to be exceptional.  :thumbsup:  More please
Schafer Silvertip 58" 61@28
Hunter Safety Certificate
Bowhunter Safety Certificate
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Associatio
Pope & Young Club

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2011, 08:52:00 AM »
Knock, Knock,.... Hellooo, waiting for the rest of the story..!!.....   :readit:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2011, 09:00:00 AM »
As I mentioned before, your days tend to run together when thinking back over my previous week.  What I do remember is that at this point in the game it is TURKEYS 3 / HUNTER 0!  They come in to the stand, I move, they run, I retrieve arrow!   :deadhorse:    

----------------------------------------------

I knew the buck was a nice one and remember counting 9 points just before I changed my focus to a spot just behind his shoulder....

As I said, I was hunting in a great spot that had funnels within funnels.  As the doe came closer a nice dead fall and a small gulley funneled her out from under my stand and right to the creek.  She hesistated slightly at the dead fall and than took three steps into drink.  

The cottonwood tree I was in was perfect for this approach, as you can see I had good cover and watched through the branches as the buck followed intensly.

The shot was only 12 yards and I still remember my yellow fletch disappearing tight behind the shoulder.  The buck exploded across the river in one giant leap and a few quick steps.  He looked back over his shoulder, stiffened his legs and just tipped over.  :eek:  

What an unbelievably intense 6 seconds!  The doe just stood there watching the whole scene unfold, and then slowly walked away.  Not 30 yards away was my first Kansas buck!  My arrow, now crimpson red lay buried in the ground, the entire creek bottom quiet.  I just sat there looking down at my hands which had developed a slight shake.  I hung my bow back on the hook and smiled.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2011, 09:07:00 AM »
Whooooo, love it when they go no where and are not even sure what happened.  Congrats!!  Can't wait to see the big boy.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Bullfrog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
"A SLIGHT SHAKE"?????

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
I reached into my pocket and grabbed my cell phone.  The reception was a little sketchy but it's always good to hear my wife's voice.  After 23 years of marriage she's been through all the ups and downs only bowhunters can understand.  She is always the first person I call and I could feel her excitement through the phone, it was a great day!

I had tucked the phone back in my jacket and was just sitting there taking in the last half an hour of daylight when I heard the first crunch.  Cottonwood leaves give new meaning to the wood yellow and I never got tired watching the setting sun light them up each evening.  

Most of Cottonwoods had dropped their leaves and the few that lined the bottom of the canyon crunched like potatoe chips as the three does made their way towards the same creek crossing.  The first two younger animals never took notice to my arrow sticking in the ground but the third and more mature doe tensed quickly as the smell of the arrow reached her nose.  But it was too late, my arrow had already crashed through her rib cage tight to the shoulder, her final bed only a few feet from the where the buck fell over.

Wow.........I brought the phone out one more time to call my wife.   :thumbsup:

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2011, 09:57:00 AM »
You might say I had my hands full at this point.  I sent Mark a text message and not long after I could hear him making his way down the edge of the creek with a huge smile across his face!  Just before the real work began we snapped a few photos........

Fortunately, Jon had gotten us permission to bring the truck down the field so the most difficult part of the drag was getting both animals into the back of Mark's truck.

Stay tuned folks.....THE HUNT IS FAR FROM OVER!  :jumper:

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2011, 10:05:00 AM »
Great Tim! Glad to see you enjoyed Kansas! Congrats on a good hunt. All of Kansas isn't as good as where you hunted but when you find the right spots it can be spectacular.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2011, 10:05:00 AM »
Congrats Tim what a day.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
Great hunt and a great story. Congrats and thanks for sharing.  :thumbsup:

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2011, 10:17:00 AM »
Great buck Tim......the pics say it all!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
Congrats
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2011, 10:23:00 AM »
Wow - great double!!  Congratulations Tim!  And thanks for the great story telling.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2011, 10:33:00 AM »
Yeah Tim!!!  Way to go Bud.  You two both look very capable of draggin a deer out the woods.
You guys both stay in shape!!
Congrats Brother.  You deserve all the success bro.
Waitin for more!!!  I got a feeling some poor old Turkey is gonna hit the deck.
Randy.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2011, 10:34:00 AM »
Congrats Tim  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©