3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow wood  (Read 505 times)

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Arrow wood
« on: July 12, 2007, 09:55:00 PM »
I made up an arrow out of laminated birch this thing drops like a rock out of my 47# @27' hill the shaft is 5/16 cut to 29 BOP 125gr point. It weighed in at 725 grains my POC come in at 470+- I like the way a heavy arrow hits and seems to take the shock and noise out of a bow. Is there a wood that is as workable as POC but is just a tad heavier and will perform at my hunting distance of 20 or so paces. I could go with a heavier point if need be.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline KILLER B

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow wood
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 09:59:00 PM »
Thats a pretty heavy arrow! You probably don't even need a broad head just shoot em head they should be out cold.  :thumbsup:
Sticks and stones break deer bones.
One final word -Ramalamashamjam-

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 10:01:00 PM »
I'd try poplar or quite possibly Doug Fir...with Fir being the heavier of the two...
Both of which have the added bonus of being more durable than cedar, too...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 10:02:00 PM »
you are shooting way too heavy an arrow. Why don't you shoot cedars, or fir, and soak them in watco (danish) oil for about a week, it will add 100 grains to the shaft.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 10:17:00 PM »
How does poplar hold up for straightness? i've always hated working with that stuff as a carpenter because it waroped so bad...

James, i just PM'd you re: Doug fir shafts..What is the spine on those birch arrows anyway?..Kirk

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 10:31:00 PM »
I just made up some Fir arrows, the raw shafts came around 440-450g. Check out Hildebrand shafts, she says there is a wide grain weight range available with fir.

Eric

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 10:32:00 PM »
Ya could also try some regular birch shafts, not laminated. I had some that weighed in around 550 or so all done up, or maple as well will give ya a finished arrow around 550 or so. Shawn
Shawn

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 10:39:00 PM »
douglas fir from hildebrand is an outstanding shaft..
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 08:00:00 AM »
Poplar is just a little heavier and easy to work.  Once sealed I have had little problem with warping on finished arrows.

Like Shawn stated, try some regular Birch shafts.  They will be a little lighter then the laminated ones.

Dennis

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 11:00:00 AM »
I have had excellent results with Sitka Spruce.  They are very durable and take stain well.  I had a dozen cedar shafts before I started shooting the spruce or I would be a spruce only kinda guy.  After I bust the cedars I'll get a large quantity of Sitka's and only shoot them.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 11:44:00 AM »
Are u looking for a heavy arrow or just an alternative to the laminated shafts.I just wrapped 1/2 dozen ash and the hit like slugs out of my 55lb curve.23/64 at 30" weigh in at 535 or so, raw.

Offline ZaneD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 11:48:00 AM »
I would say try sitka spruce

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 11:56:00 AM »
Don't overlook Ramin shafts.
 Good weight, tough and cheap.
 I get them from  http://git-r-donearchery.com/  .
 I do prefer carbons but for some shoots we needed wood and these were great.

Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline jchunt4ever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 03:57:00 PM »
I am going to throw in another vote for plain White Birch. With 125gr points and at ~28in BOP, mine are also in the 550gr neighborhood. They are very very durable and I absolutely love them. The only problem is I can't find a source to get any more recently. I got the current ones from Raptor Archery, about 1 and half years ago, but they don't list them anymore on their site.

Does anyone know who carries them?
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
--Fred Bear

Offline nockhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2007, 04:47:00 PM »
Don't forget chundo (lodgepole pine) 30" shaft 510 gr. Hits like a hammer................

Mike
" Aim high and let em fly "   my son Nick

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2007, 04:52:00 PM »
Yeah, but good chundoo's so hard to get ahold of these days...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2007, 05:12:00 PM »
Where can you get birch shafts?  Old South Traditional used to sell them but they have went to selling arrows only.

Eric

Offline Big Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2007, 05:18:00 PM »
Hey Madness where can you get the sitka spruce.Jay Massey used to say they were the best.But of coarse he made his own.
Live today like you'll meet God tommorow (you might)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 05:59:00 PM »
Hildebrand's is my source for sitka spruce. Good folks, awesome matched shafts. Love that spruce! I did just buy a doz. POC that I'm blown away by though. The spruce were 420gr. and the POC were 430gr. With 160gr. fieldtips they come up to almost 600gr.

Offline Patience

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2007, 06:11:00 PM »
Lumberyard carries almost all the wood everyone is reffering too. Arrows are easy to make and a good way to sample multiple kinds.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©