3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sheepeater  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
Sheepeater
« on: July 13, 2007, 01:07:00 AM »
Thanks to Brent and Mark for letting me review the Sheepeater Spirit , and to Carbon Caster and Jarred for posing for pictures and giving me  feedback to use on the review.
 She is a great little bow that is destined to hunt.
 I would love to see it with a Black Phenolic or Ebony riser and black glass limbs for shooting from the Double Bull blinds.

Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sheepeater
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 01:23:00 AM »
Pete,

I have a can of black spray paint in my garage!!

You name the time and we will take care of that.

I too would like to see it with ebony and black glass.  That would be one Sweet combo.  That bow is the sweetest shooting short bow I have ever shot.  I still say because it is so tiny it makes me look FAT!!!  LOL!!!

I wish all you guys could have been there to have seen Jarred shoot that bow.  He shot VERY well for not shooting traditional bows before.  Pete was a little concearned about him losing arrows on the 3d course, but he wasn't the one that lost some of Pete's arrows.  I will let Pete tell you who that was.  LOL!!!  Jarred had a smile on his face that you just couldn't wipe off.
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Cutty47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 02:06:00 AM »
Fan of your reviews here, Pete.  I was really planning on buying a Sheepeater...definitely a unique bow that I've heard a lot of positive comments about...

...but since Brian and I are of similar stature, I think I'll have to go on a diet first.

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 02:35:00 AM »
Cutty,

Did you notice how terrible my form was.  I think my elbow was a good 10" above level!!  GRRR!!

I told Pete to smack me the next time I did that.  LOL!!!
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

Offline the elf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 11:18:00 AM »
Well guys----I was the successful bidder in the auction-----and my bow is being built-----it is Yew back----50 @ 26---medium grip--with a shelf--lefthanded----unfortunately I can`t do pictures to show you when it arrives.I am looking forward to the shortness and light weight for this olde pharte to carry.-----Lon.

Offline Brent Rudolph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 01:23:00 PM »
Pete thank you for taking the time and effort to do the review. Guys, Pete does this on his own time and is one of those "good for the industry" people. Just a good 'ol boy with a lot of answers. Brian, I didn't notice you looking fat in the picture, but "stately". You know, in many cultures, being a tad overweight is considered a sign of wellbeing and upper class. Let's just say that in those cultures, I would be a VERY important man! Lon does have a nice bow combo going. The finish is curing, and purhaps I can get a pic or two of it before it ships to post for those who would like to see Lon's imaginative use of taste in bow woods. Very tasteful wood combo. For those who have been wanting to order a Sheepeater, but have been hesitant to do so because you just didn't think you could shoot that small, low grip. keep your eyes pealed for some pictures coming real soon of the Sheepeater sporting a full indexed grip with a shelf.

Brent
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 01:30:00 PM »
Brent,

I am looking forward to trying the one that is crossing the border SOON to Calgary that has that grip.  You and I should go take over a third world country together.  They would think we were gods.  LOL!!!

BTW - that may be the first time I have ever been accused of being "STATELY".  HA HA!!

How deep do you cut the shelves on the ones with a shelf??

In His service,
Brian Rice

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 05:58:00 PM »
Now that is what I want a bow with that type of grip. I was one of those worried about the grip. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 06:10:00 PM »
Shawn,

The "stock" grip works REAL well.  I find the Sheepeater likes to be heeled when held and the grips lends it self to that.  I am curious to try the new grip option.  I will let you know some time in August how "I" like it.

In His service,
Brian Rice

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 06:23:00 PM »
Pete,

Based upon the data you posted on your site, I've calculated the efficiency at 80+%.  This is for the data for 26-28" draw lengths.

Jason

Offline Brent Rudolph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 07:38:00 PM »
Brian,

They are real close to center. Shoot good. Havent had any arrow flight issues out of it. Dennis just called and said he wanted to be first on the list for a ebony and black bow. The PBS shoot is at Moose Creek this weekend, but I might get one glued up Sunday. I'll keep you guys up there informed.

Shawn, Is that more what you had in mind for a grip?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Brent Rudolph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 07:56:00 PM »

I had a request to try to get a picture of the whole bow. I aint no photo artist though.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 09:29:00 PM »
Wow! That thing has come a long way!! Glad to see it.  :thumbsup:  

Your keeping Montana there for me arent you?   :(  

Got a real good friend coming through Bozeman in a couple weeks. He actually came up and hunted with me opening week last year but we never had a chance to come over (what, with it being opening week and all). I might send him by.

Hope all is well.
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 10:42:00 PM »
Brian, that is the problem. I do not like to shoot with heel down. I like to shoot straight wrist and i can do that with bows that have more of ecurve grip than longbow style.   That above photo is what i am talking about! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Brent Rudolph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2007, 11:11:00 PM »
Dang Bear, I thought you dun runt off an got kilt! How's the family my brother! Yeah I got a little piece of Montana still. Tell your bud my campfires open 24. He need a place to stay? Try to get that V Twin up here in the real near future will you? Mine need aired out.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2007, 10:11:00 AM »
Thanks Brent, but it is me that owes you a thanks for letting me review the Sheepeater.
 That new grip looks good, real good.
 An all black model would make it a super blind bow. Black glass over bamboo limbs, Black Phenolic or Ebony riser , no gloss flat finish ,
Call it "Black Velvet".

We met Jarred again last night and he didn't even take his compound out of his car .When he  arrived he came right over and I asked if he was shooting a real bow tonight. LOL
 He had this big silly grin on his face and said , can I shoot the Sheepeater?  He had some good fun and met more trad shooters, I think he is hooked on trad now, and definately on the little Sheepeater. He wanted to know what time we were shooting today when he left. It looks like I might have to make myself a reservation to shoot the sheepeater from now on , but thats a small price to pay for rescuing a young lad from the DARK SIDE..

Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline Brent Rudolph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2007, 10:29:00 AM »
Well Pete, Black Velvet sounds good and all, but you think I can get it past the whiskey company? And how hard do you think it would be to get a blond country singer to be the spokeslady? Yeah, I dont think I have that kinda money either.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2007, 02:38:00 PM »
Nice to see this thread...the Sheepeater Spirit is definitely "worthy", everyone should have one of these unique yet versatile little beasts.

Love the Recurve grip Brent, I bet it will be a pretty popular option.

Why aint you up Moose Creek without a paddle right now Brent?? I'll be back up there by 2:30.

Offline swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2007, 10:44:00 AM »
Personally I don't like the looks of the new grip I think it kills the whole spirit of the bow...JMO, everyone has different tastes.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Brent Rudolph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2007, 11:12:00 AM »
I hear you Scott. That is the funny thing about custom bow building. I shoot the straight grip myself, but there are others who don't. I feel good about being able to get a different grip on this little curve in order to have more folks comfortable with utilizing the performance of the limb design.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©