3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Limb Stability  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Limb Stability
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2011, 09:28:00 AM »
The Border bow  in the pic is in the mid 50's. I had a set of Border limbs fail and they offered me the limbs in the pic as temporary replacements until the new limbs could be made. I turned them down because the cost of shipping is expensive. As for them doing the test, it was done on Sid's personal bow just to show how stable their limbs are. They do not recommend anyone do it nor would they warranty the limbs that were tested like that.

Back to Bob...The best limbs I ever shot, other than the Borders and Winex, that had both speed and stability were Groves limbs. Harold Groves  had a two step glue up process (Dyna stess, he called it) which essentially but a preload built right into the limbs. Since the process required two glue ups the first glue used had to withstand the heat of the second glue up and Harold, to the best of my knowledge, never revealed the glues he used. I am very happy to see you doing so much R&R as I really would like to find a USA made limb that could shoot along with the Borders and Winex. You seem to be following Border's lead on this and if you need a testor, I shoot a 17" DAS Gen I riser and would be happy to give you some feedback on some 58" limbs that are in the mid 50's for weight. It's too bad Harold Groves died just before all this carbon stuff came into the bow builders shop. I wonder what kind of bow he could have made with it. Good luck with your project. As I said, I would love to find a USA made limb that performed as well as the ones I shoot now.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Turkeys Fear Me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2011, 09:35:00 AM »
I think it's awesome that we have reached a point in traditional archery where performance, even on mid-priced bows, has become so good, but so uniform, that we are seeing stuff like this in an attempt to set one brand apart from another.

It reminds me of the old "takes a licking and keeps on ticking" Timex commercials.  Fun to watch, but have very little to do with any real world performance.  Certainly not anything that 99.99999% of us could ever appreciate.    

Takes a lickin\\' - Keeps on tickin\\'

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2011, 10:17:00 AM »
Kirk, can you explain why you look for that stability at 18 inches with the stick? Why 18 inches and not another increment? Thanks Flint

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »
I understand the advantage or percieved advantage of stability at full draw but doesn't a more stable limb "recover" better than a less stable limb and wouldn't that have some influence on the arrow as well ? Wouldn't a more stable limb transfer more energy to the arrow.

I will admit that I for one hate the floppy limb tipped bows, one reason I prefer to shoot a D shaped longbow.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2011, 01:11:00 PM »
Mr Carlson, With all due respect, I am and to the best of my knowledge Kirk is not following Border bows in any respect. I believe my bows perform at least as well or better than anything Border is making.
I am saying this because I do not nor have ever followed anyone. Especially in building bows.  

Here is why. I want to and do develope my own bow designs and limbs and work out the kinks on my own with God's guidance. I don't need to follow a man or copy his work or use his ideas. I want to hit this with no preconcieved ideas. Especially when it comes to overall bow design.

I pretty much started this stuff of using I beams in the bow risers because I wanted to eliminate broken and cracked risers without going to aluminum.

To the best of my knowledge I honestly do no know of any bowyer using I beams in the risers clear back until you get to the old Bears .

I first used wood. some still cracked. Then I went to Phenolic I beams and voila , problems cured.

This is an example.

If I were to ever follow anyone it would be someone like Bob Morrison,. It would never be Border bows , No offense taken here but I want to make this clear. I share with Kirk, I share with some other bowyers. He shares with me. but there is no following being done by any of us.

I believe my Talon 11 bow with double carbon foam core or yew is as good or better than any bow built in the world. Same with Kirks double carbon foam core and I would imagine the new bow that Bob is coming out with .
God bless you , Steve

Offline Turkeys Fear Me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2011, 04:16:00 PM »
Come on gents, how impressive is all this stuff, and what does it really prove?

This is about the cheapest wood core ILF limb you are going to find.  They retail for about $70.  The riser is quite a bit heavier than the bows shown in Keep It Simple's video and the limbs are only 28 pounds.

Not only did I try it at home, but I did it with crap limbs and lived to tell about it.  No trick photography, no slight of hand, just a set of cheap limbs and a moderately strong wrist.

:laughing:

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2011, 04:35:00 PM »
Turkeysfearme,

I don't think the test is a dangerous test myself...not if you are holding the string against the limb so it doesn't go over the edge .

That said, if you notice, you are holding the upper limb...which TYPICALLY has either an even tiller or more often than not a positive tiller when compared to the lower limb...yet in your photo you can clearly see the tiller is significantly less on the lower limb. What does that mean??? It means your limbs are flexing considerably. You probably have near 2" of flex there. Also, to illustrate it, don't just hold it at a horizontal, but rock it up and down and see how much the bow "bounces" as you go up and down. To see that, you can't use a freeze frame photo...but would need video. Additionally, not all bows are equal. The one you have may very well be a very stable design despite the noticeable flex in the photo.

Originally posted by Kirkll:
Hey Lee, In your test procedure in the video it's rather hard to see the limbs flexing really well.
That's the objective of a stable design. 8^) but it is also why I chose to use the light weight kid bow. With a 60# adult bow, it would be even harder to see.

I also believe (as a GENERAL RULE...but not absolute rule) that a stable bow is one that actually BEGINS to stack IMMEDIATELY after the desired draw weight. My reason for this is...if a bow remains so smooth on the draw that it continues to gain say 2# per inch out for several more inches...when one heals down on one shot they are overflexing the lower limb and underflexing the upper limb...but the bow's limbs are so smooth it doesn't dynamically correct itself...but with a bow that begins to stack slightly just beyond full draw the bow will resist this to some degree as you overflex the lower limb, it will stack and resist the flex...and self correct to apply the force to the path of least resistance...and therefore will continue with drawing the upper limb instead.

That is an over simplification of course and I am aware of that...but I think this is one reason why bows like the HH type bows are so stable. They self correct because they are stiff and don't have a smooth draw force curve.

Unfortunately, stack is inefficient in terms of speed but this may have SOMETHING to do with the old belief that slower bows are often more stable (not always of course...as one could have a poorly designed slow bow too).

There are of course other ways to stiffen a limb as well...and I am not suggesting otherwise.

With today's glues, technologies, designs, and materials (like carbon)...I feel we are able to push the envelope to better balance the desired traits...and as a result believe the traditional bow has evolved into a superior product today than it was 50 years ago.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2011, 04:48:00 PM »
Lee

Offline Turkeys Fear Me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
Well, FWIW, I did rock it up and down but I don't have the ability (or skill) to post the video.  Yes, there was more bounce than in your video, but nothing close to touching the ground like I think you suggested.  Then again, it SHOULD bounce more.  That metal riser is probably 3 times the weight as any of the risers you showed, not to mention that the thick core of a longbow limb isn't going to flex as much as the thin recurve limb.  It's the nature of the beast.

Second, based on some of the claims in this thread, you would think that a cheap 70 dollar limb would twist substantially more than my photo shows.  Especially with a rather heavy metal riser, but as you can see, that wasn't the case.

I didn't post this to discredit anything or anyone, I was honestly curious what a cheap beginner limb would do under the same circumstances.  I satisfied my curiosity.  At 70 bucks, they  "took a lickin' and kept on tickin'."

:biglaugh:

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2011, 05:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:

it's a total misconception that stiffer limbs are harder to change the pivot point on, or more forgiving in that regard than a floppy limb bow.

i've got a film somewhere with a couple different bows on the tiller tree cranked down to full draw, while i rotate the finger pressure on the string using a string hook 2.5" wide shaped like your fingers are at full draw..... regardless of what those limbs feel like at brace whether they are stiff, or floppy, it still takes the identical amount of pressure at full draw to rotate the grip, or the finger hook. 50 pounds is 50 pounds at full draw....
The last sentence is why I somewhat disagree with you...but I am not sure if I can clarify it perfectly on words alone.

Let's say we have two bows...and each bow is 100#@28" (just to work with a nice even number not that any of us around here would shoot that much weight).

Now, let's say bow A has a draw force curve that allows it to gain 3# per inch out to 30" and bow B is smooth to 28" but then begins to stacking and gains 4# per inch to 29" and 5# per inch at 30".

Now, let's say you put both bows in a vice and had a way to brace the riser so you could only draw ONE limb just to see the work load of the limb...and that you did this with a scale...and measured both limbs to the same flexing point necessary to produce a 26" draw (under-flexing it a lot), a 27" draw (under-flexing it slightly), a 28" draw (exactly the same as a perfectly balanced 28" draw on a strung bow), a 29" draw (over-flexing it slightly), and a 30" draw (over-flexing it a lot)...and record the weight necessary to produce that bend. We could observe and record the differences between the smooth bow and the bow that stacks. What happens to each bow when you draw with an altered pivot? With a low wrist (or visa-verse) you altered the dynamic tiller of the bow...say slightly over-flexing one limb (the lower in this case) limb to a 29" position and slightly under-flexing the other limb to perhaps the 27" position.

Bow A - the NET draw length may be near equal to the 28" balanced draw and with the smoother bow you might still get very close to 100# and you don't notice any difference in feel, even though the bow no longer has a 50/50 split...because the loss of draw weight on one limb is equally balanced by the gain on the other limb...say a 48.5/51.5 combination with the smooth draw even if the bow is out of balance.

Bow B - with the stacking bow the loss of pull weight on the less flexed 27" limb would be less than what was gained on the stacking 29" limb...perhaps only a 1/2# or some minor amount with a 48.5/52 combination resulting in a net pull of 100.5#. This is no doubt a small increase...but we are only discussing theory here anyway, but could this be enough to effect the relatively minor weight of an arrow? I think so. The increase in net pull weight with bow B I believe would seek the path of least resistance...and therefore be more prone to self-correct to obtain the balanced 100# draw where the limbs are more in time with one another. Additionally, bow B would be more prone to produce more shock (like a Hill bow) and a stack drawing feel that the archer draws it out of balance.

To illustrate this further.

Now lets say this person has BOTH low wrist with the bow hand and a hard pull with the ring finger on the drawing hand (along with a light pull of the index finger) and really exaggerates this...over-flexing the bottom limb even more so and under-flexing the upper limb even more so...

Bow A - Produces a 47.5/52.5# split (or something similar)...a net result of still 100# draw at 28" as the loss of draw weight was equally offset by the increase in draw on the over-flexed limb on the smooth drawing bow.

Bow B is produces a 48/53 balance )or something similar) due to the stacking limb gaining more than the loss on the under-flexed limb...and a net draw weight increased to 101# despite drawing the bow to the same 28" draw.

100# isn't 101#. I believe the more stable bow is likely to seek balance to have the path of least resistance for the 28" draw and would correct the pivot to the 50/50 split...and if the archer strong enough to maintain (force) the altered fulcrum that is out of balance, I believe the extra draw weight on the over-flexed limb will somewhat reduce the effect of poor timing in two ways...1. even if not eliminating the archer's error...it will reduce it, and 2. produce more acceleration on the limb that has to travel the furthest (which may help the arrow, but is likely to more shock).

That's probably as clear as mud so I tried to high light the main points. It seems to me that this reasoning would explain the exceptional stability that the HH bows are famous for. Regardless of why, what I know is HH bows are EXTREMELY resistant to torque (both vertical and lateral) and they are very stable bows. Their design is very self correcting and that is why those bows are so stable. Unfortunately, these designs are also more difficult to shoot so one ends up robbing Peter to pay Paul.

This is why finding the optimal balance of traits/attributes is important when trying to match up a given bow to a given archer...and is also why not everyone likes the same bow. We all have our own issues or lack there of...and therefore prefer different things from a bow.
Lee

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Turkeys Fear Me:
Well, FWIW, I did rock it up and down but I don't have the ability (or skill) to post the video.  Yes, there was more bounce than in your video, but nothing close to touching the ground like I think you suggested.  Then again, it SHOULD bounce more.  That metal riser is probably 3 times the weight as any of the risers you showed, not to mention that the thick core of a longbow limb isn't going to flex as much as the thin recurve limb.  It's the nature of the beast.

Second, based on some of the claims in this thread, you would think that a cheap 70 dollar limb would twist substantially more than my photo shows.  Especially with a rather heavy metal riser, but as you can see, that wasn't the case.

I didn't post this to discredit anything or anyone, I was honestly curious what a cheap beginner limb would do under the same circumstances.  I satisfied my curiosity.  At 70 bucks, they  "took a lickin' and kept on tickin'."

:biglaugh:  
I am NOT at all offended by your post. In fact, I welcome it. I think it is good to pursue truths and to make objective measurements/observations. I don't know what that bow weighs...and I would suspect the riser is indeed heavier than my bows...especially the kid bows. I do however have a 24" riser in my adult Protege bows...which adds mass. As a result though, I also have to use less limb core...so my limb cores are nothing like the deep cores seen in a HH type bow.

In archer...one things affects another. Pursuing the ideal balance is what each of us wants.

Thanks for posting.

I haven't been here much lately, and it is good to stimulate the brain cells in archery physics.
Lee

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2011, 08:01:00 PM »
Turkeys:Come on gents, how impressive is all this stuff, and what does it really prove?

Turkeys , this conversation is just one little aspect of bow building. To build a great bow you look at all aspects and work to harmonize the unit. Its not impressive until you shoot a bow that is built by a bowyer that uses this approach to bow building. Then you say, How did you do that. Truth it its all of it put together that gets impressive.
As one gentleman stated and not one answer to his statement. It seemed to him that the grip would make a great difference.

Truth. Stability is what it is. A good grip that consistantly places the hand will certainly help if the bow has mediocre stability by placing the hand position exactly the same each time. This is one of those other things that you need to add up to making a bow great. Only the folks paying attention to what a bow is doing will notice it.

BTW. I am glad you are happy with your 70 dollar bow and also that you still have your fingers all intact. I hurt myself pretty bad just moving a string over once and having a limb flip on an unstable bow. Holding a bow in your hand by the tip sideways could be a learning experience. Just because you got away with it does not make it a wise thing to do.

As you can see I kind of lack in diplomacy compared to some of my fine friends in here. But it takes all kinds.

God bless you all, Steve

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by flint kemper:
Kirk, can you explain why you look for that stability at 18 inches with the stick? Why 18 inches and not another increment? Thanks Flint
18" to 20" is just about where a working recurve bow starts to open up and transfers the weight to the working limb. A static tip, and semi static will draw a little further before the string starts lifting off the belly of the limb tip.

What happens with a bow with poor torsional stability is that torque on the grip can cause the limbs to get off track which can effect arrow flight. even plucking the string can effect it.

I've got a wee bit different way that i go about checking my limb tracking on a recurve limb. if you'll watch this film clip you can see how i'm torquing the bow a little bit as i'm working the limb. this particular bow has pretty decent torsional stability.  what i'm doing here is double checking my true center vs dynamic center on the limbs under pressure.... often times you can shape two limbs perfectly the same and they will not track the same.... the better your stability is, and the more homogenois your core is, the less chance you will have for a weak spot in your core that effects the tracking....

This is where using carbon composites with real homogeneous cores help out a lot. the very best cores in wood are bamboo action wood, birch action wood, and yew wood IMO. the ultimate is syntactic foam,  or in some cases like Boarder they use a carbon fiber foam matrix material. old Sid won't give up the recipe on his secret sauce for that stuff, so we are slowly coming up with our own recipes.

The advantage of wood cores and glass is they are pretty darn predictable, and give the bowyer room for adjustment. Once you start into the carbon matrix stuff you are only as consistent as your carbon supplier and how you use the stuff in the limbs. You can come up with some seriously high quality limbs that are rock stable, and add performance to the bow too once you get the bugs worked out..... but the prototyping is expensive.

Kirk

Offline Turkeys Fear Me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2011, 10:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sixby:

BTW. I am glad you are happy with your 70 dollar bow and also that you still have your fingers all intact. I hurt myself pretty bad just moving a string over once and having a limb flip on an unstable bow. Holding a bow in your hand by the tip sideways could be a learning experience. Just because you got away with it does not make it a wise thing to do.

As you can see I kind of lack in diplomacy compared to some of my fine friends in here. But it takes all kinds.
The bow really isn't mine, it belongs to my 11 year old son.  He took the photos for me.  He's quite excited though, knowing how stable his limbs are.  Right up there with the best of them it would seem.

;)  

Seriously, it would appear as though you missed the point of my experiment.  Either that or maybe I watch "Myth Busters" too much.

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »
Kirk, excellent video and explanation. Ok my next question in regards to your video is this. If you are pulling on the string and it is not being pulled back in a straight line could that be some of the effect of limb twist in your tip section? Also how true are your whole limbs at this point? It looks like you ahve trapped them here? I have found that if your limbs are not identical that will show variation as well. Getting to the true meat and potatoes of True bow building and what most people do not know about or to look for. I like it. Thanks for your contributions. Flint

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2011, 11:53:00 PM »
Glad the video was helpful. One of these days i'm going to get my bow building vedeo completed.

There are a lot of different ways to skin a cat building these things, and the long bows are by far the easiest to work with and get balanced out.

Whether you are building take down bows, or one piece bows by hand. everything is built and shaped from center line out. i have gone about it in a number of different methods.

The bow in the video is a semi static recurve and has tip wedges. i always trap the tips to the belly side of the limbs to remove excess weight. how much i trap them depends on the bow design and what the tips are doing.

to answer you question, as you put pressure on the string and draw the bow. Whether you are drawing by hand, off a peg, or even on a tiller tree, the riser needs to pivot at the intended shooters pressure point. typically this is done at the deepest part of the grip to start out, and get your limbs bending right. then depending on the archers preferred grip angle, and where the actual pressure is going to be applied to the grip, you time the limbs accordingly to the pessure point.... on an ILF rig it's something the archer can do. On a custom bow it's something the bowyer does. And buying a stock bow off the rack, you learn to find the balance point and grip the bow accordingly.

so it really doesn't matter how evenly the bow is drawn during the build. You are watching the limbs tracking as pressure is being applied, and adjusting the limbs and tip notches accordingly. Once you drop the string, the limbs go back to the braced position. when you are testing like this you are watching the limbs closely being drawn, as well as being let off. if it isn't tracking properly, one side of the limb is stronger than the other, or your tip notches are not shaped properly., or the limbs are out of alignment.  limb alignment is critical too.

Offline grizz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2011, 12:24:00 AM »
Kirk, I enjoyed the video so much that I went ahead and watched all 13. Very good material, you show lots of patience! Thanks, drop me an email when you get time, Grizz
mike

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2011, 01:52:00 AM »
Keep it simple,  somehow i missed your post or we posted at the same time.

HH bows are EXTREMELY resistant to this type of altering. Their design is very self correcting and that is why those bows are so stable. Unfortunately, these designs are also more difficult to shoot so one ends up robbing Peter to pay Paul.
yup.... self correcting is right. you have to get that pivot point just right, and shoot saw logs out of the thing, or you end up picking your dentures up out of the dirt.... that will make you pay attention.    :notworthy:    :notworthy:

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2011, 07:53:00 AM »
I appreciate your posts too. If it wasn't for people like you, Sixby, Big Jim, and many others that are willing to share their experiences...the envelope wouldn't be pushed further and further. Keep up the good work.

I should have mentioned that it is my opinion that bow B (a bow that stacks AFTER one reaches the desired draw length) is actually going to be more stable since it will self align in order to produce the least resistance...while bow A (the one that continues to be smooth for several more inches of draw beyond the archer's need) will be less self correcting as its smoother limbs allow for the timing to come out of balance and still produce a near equal draw weight.

Now, this isn't to say I think a bow should stack prior to a desired draw length...as we want a smooth draw to our needed draw length in order to maximize efficiency of a design...but once a draw length is obtained I do think the ideal bow should match the archer's draw length by utilizing a limb core to limb width ratio as well as a riser length that produces a good balance of both efficiency (smooth to their draw) and a good resistant beam strength to correct for altering pivots (by having limbs that will begin to stack if they are drawn BEYOND the archer's need and therefore self-center the fulcrum).

In the end though...the second bow (the more stable one by design) may also NEED a grip to better meet an archer's hand so they don't fight the self centering design of the bow...which could happen with a very strong man and a light weight draw. The grip should still match the archer.

Now back to more important things...if I can just get that dang fly! Maybe I need to find a more whippy tipped bow to get it. LOL.
Lee

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2011, 12:02:00 PM »
You are definitely talking my language Lee. building a bow to specific draw lengths with a bit of room on the tail end doesn't leave any performance on the table. Call it "doing our part to conserve energy"

I've been using core to glass ratio to get more consistent performance between different draw weight bows for years now, but very few bowyer's actually incorporate it into their system. if all the bows we built were right there in the mid 40's to mid 50's and a guy could get real consistent glass thickness, you'd never have to mess with grinding glass.

Getting back to our stability discussion. i think there is a lot of archers out there that are consistent enough in their hand placement and shooting abilities that are willing to sacrifice a bit of vertical strength to gain smoothness and speed. There is always a trade off in these designs. But..... what may "Appear" as an unstable bow to some, are absolutely incredible bows to others.....

With lower poundage bows vertical stability is much more noticeable. That's the beauty of using wood cores..... if you lower your glass to core ratio on those light weight bows, you are not only lowering the mass weight in the outer limbs and picking up performance.You gain stability with a deeper core using less glass or carbon.  a 40 pound bow is always going to seem floppy compared to a 60 pound bow.

You ever hear that old expression, " I shoot heavier poundage bows more consistently than i do light poundage bows."

Then you run into these guys that can pick up anything and blow nocks with it.

bottom line is that a compromise can be made and have a sweet DFC, good flat trajectory, and speed, that shoot very consistent in the hands of an experienced archer....

what really gets my goat is the guys that associate high performance with instability of the bow....   :nono:   that is down right incorrect. it's true a higher performance bow can be more sensitive to less than perfect form with lighter weight shafts.... but to make a statement that you prefer a slower bow because its more forgiving is down right hog wash.IMO

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©