3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: the "D" shape R/D longbow appreciation thread!  (Read 42152 times)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
the "D" shape R/D longbow appreciation thread!
« on: November 07, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »
welp, we've got our fabulous hill style longbow thread that seems to have take on a life of it's own with thousands of posts, and looks like it will never end (YEA!).  i LOVE those classic hill longbows, gonna get me yet another, but i do also LOVE my r/d "D" braced longbows.  there are lots of them out there, crafted by many different superb bowyers.  

just like the classic howard hill longbows of the 30's, 40's and 50's, and all the good bowyers that make their own classic hill versions, i believe that the mild r/d longbow that braces to a "D" shape is also on the road to become a classic modern longbow.  

hopefully this appreciation thread will look to showcase any and all "D" r/d longbows, their bowyers, their owners and their harvested game.  i've got some pix to post, but i'd much rather get some good posts, pics and hunt stories from other members first.  

tell us about your mild r/d "D" longbow and your hunts with it!  

:wavey:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HOW TO DETERMINE IF YOUR LONGBOW IS A HYBRID R/D CLASSIC "D"

THIS is a hybrid mild r/d longbow that braces to a "D" shape ...

(Mohawk - mild r/d "D")

the following longbows are NOT and will NEVER BE an r/d classic "D" longbow ...

(Thunderstick MOAB - aggressive r/d)

(BamaBows Hunter - "Hill Style")

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: the "D" shape R/D longbow appreciation thread!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
I just put a message about this over on the collecting forum.  I am thinking this Ben Pearson longbow is from the 1950's, but don't know.  If it is that old, it does seem there is nothing new under the sun....  

I enjoy shooting this bow and missed the only turkey I ever shot at with it-don't know if the turkey ducked when it saw something coming, or was just getting ready to jump up into the air, but the arrow was just over its back.  RonP

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 06:49:00 PM »
yup, that sure do look like an r/d "D".  i recall that there are examples of these as far back as the 20's, probably farther.  most everything's been done ages ago, including the recurve ... and then there's the penobscot indian bow   :saywhat:   what howard hill did to the elb longbow, modern bowyers have greatly improved the r/d "D" bow design.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by frassettor:
If my Widows are what you classify as a mild r/d longbow, I simply love them. ...
look at yer widow's unbraced and braced limb shapes.  when unbraced, it should mildly curve or snake, there should be deflex in the riser.  when braced, the limbs should form a continuous curve - there can be NO flat spots near or at the tips, as that would be an "aggressive r/d" longbow.  :)

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
Ah my favorite style longbow. I have a couple
Robertson Vision
Border Griffon
Pacific Yew Classic
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
This is my r/d longbow. It is a Columbian Blacktail made by Norm Johnson and was the first custom bow I ever bought.

This pic is old. The woods are yew and ebony but the yew is now a beautiful honey color. Specs are 64", 51#  @ 27".
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
The Horne's Traditionalists is a reflex-deflex Longbow but makes a nice D shape when strung. A very nice shooting longbow.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 07:17:00 PM »

I'm a recurve guy.  I just like the feel of a heavier bow and the way the grip of my black widow's fit my hand.  

Last year I set a challenge for myself to leave the recurves at home until I finally killed something with my Dwyer Defiant.  I really do like the bow a lot.  It is a true piece of art and I am glad that I made the commitment to spend the time afield with it last year.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 07:17:00 PM »
I have a Green Mountain reverse handle "Catamount" that was my first custom bow I had made in 1996. A true example of what you are talking about. Zebra wood riser and Native Cherry limbs from Vermont. I also just got a 2 pc. T/D from Kohannah that fits the bill. Seems to be a real nice shooter and I hope to use it for a Kayak hunt next year. I have also had several Mahaska longbow, but have trade them off, but they were great bows. Last but not least was a pair of Bear Montanas......real work horses.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »
Fredrick baron,best and only D shape longbow I own.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »
When my new Liberty Contender [ 68" 40# @ my 27" ]gets here I'll post pics . Regretted selling my old one as soon as I did it . A fine fine shoting bow with unmatched craftsmanship ....

nice thread Rob !
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »
This was me in 1957 with my Ben Pearson( like the one in the first photo up top). It was 75#@28. Ken Denton
"Arrows into the wind", What a wounderful sight!!!

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 08:02:00 PM »
Now you've gone and done it Rob.  A thread about what is and what isn't a "real D shaped R/D bow" is bound to be one of the best "what is" discussions around here.  What is "traditional"; what is "instinctive"     :banghead:    

Mohawk

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »
I have one and love to shoot it. It is a custom bow made by myself and a friend. I have taken many deer with it. I don't shoot it much anymore as it is a little light in poundage for me.
James Kerr

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 08:10:00 PM »
You know I'm gonna show off my JD Berry Apollo forward handled longbow.Took my first deer with a couple weeks ago. 62" and 48#@28. Yew core and trapezoid yew limbs. The bow was built from 72 individual pieces of exotic wood. Gorgeous arrow inlays on the limbs. Cocobola and brazilian walnut riser with double arcs and elk antler inlay. Elk antler overlay on the riser back and elk antler and bloodwood on the riser belly. Elk antler tip overlays on the trademark hook nocks. This bow is simply stunning. Draws smooth as butter and whisper quiet even without silencers. I was shocked at how fast it is. My last JD Berry Taipan was 52# and this one seems faster than that. Even the script work is unbelievable.

"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
I'm in with my Mohawk.  Love that bow.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2011, 08:23:00 PM »
This is my Dan Quillian Bamboo Longhunter. Mild R/D, D-Shape when braced, 68". She's a joy to shoot. I also have a Green Mountain, but don't have pics of her yet.

This is before Whip refinished her when she still belonged to Biggie Hoffman.

"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
Although I love my r/d bow, for months I've been giving serious thought to ordering a Howard Hill longbow.  However, what's made me hesitate is the talk in the HH thread about the bows being heavier than marked. Not sure I want to take a chance on a bow that could arrive at a draw weight heavier than ordered. But I need a new longbow for elk hunting. So I'm now giving thought to a Wes Wallace r/d longbow, which would be similar to the Columbian Blacktail I own.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
I have tried or owned MOST R/D longbows. I still go to my Dwyer original when the time comes for killing.   BILL

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
Dan Toelke makes a fine shooting and.looking one.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©