3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: the "D" shape R/D longbow appreciation thread!  (Read 42184 times)

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: the "D" shape R/D longbow appreciation thread!
« Reply #280 on: May 06, 2012, 01:57:00 PM »
Seems like a conflict of interest for a bowyer to test his bows, his competetion's bows, and then publish/present the results. No matter WHAT kind of equipment is used. I sure like the idea of independent testing facilities with no ties to anyone. That's why Blacky has become the Gold Standard when it comes to unbiased test results.    :thumbsup:    :archer:
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #281 on: May 06, 2012, 02:21:00 PM »
I have a number of this style bow, from 1957 to a bow that's only 6 months old.  My most favorite, however, is the Stotler flatbow (Game Getter and Game Buster).  

ONE of those is NOT a "D" hybrid!

The bottom bow-a Game Getter Breakdown-in each picture (top bow is a Game Getter ll).

Code: [Select]
 [IMG]http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s331/selfbow19953/STOTLER/Omega3.jpg[/IMG]
  [IMG]http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s331/selfbow19953/STOTLER/Omega4.jpg[/IMG]
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #282 on: May 06, 2012, 02:40:00 PM »
Phil, those are great looking bows. Do you have any close-ups of the risers? The risers of those bows should be shown also, not just the D-shape!   :thumbsup:

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #283 on: May 06, 2012, 03:00:00 PM »
Mike,

Ask and ye shall receive-Yew, walnut and yellow dymond wood.

SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #284 on: May 06, 2012, 03:10:00 PM »
Thank you sir!  :notworthy:

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #285 on: May 06, 2012, 03:34:00 PM »
Well Phil If I'm not your favorite,I am glade Stotler is. Always liked them bows. Yours are fine looking. I need to find me one of them again someday.

CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #286 on: May 06, 2012, 05:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by owlbait:
Seems like a conflict of interest for a bowyer to test his bows, his competetion's bows, and then publish/present the results. No matter WHAT kind of equipment is used. I sure like the idea of independent testing facilities with no ties to anyone. That's why Blacky has become the Gold Standard when it comes to unbiased test results.     :thumbsup:      :archer:  
Well be prepared for a new "Titanium Standard" I've got enough aerospace parts and technology into this thing.... LOL!

All in due time Mr. Owlbait..... your opinion is duly noted.

This thread is about r/d longbows  didn't mean to get side tracked here.....

those lost bows posted got some cool looking risers.... Who makes the "Game Getter" ?

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #287 on: May 06, 2012, 06:03:00 PM »
Stotler Archery makes a Game Getter.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #288 on: May 06, 2012, 11:05:00 PM »
Thanks for the answers about the brace height.
Bob,
I realize there is a recommended brace height from the manufacturer. I was just wondering if the r/d D bows had a higher brace than the norm on hill style bows. Thanks for the info.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #289 on: May 07, 2012, 01:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by Butch Speer:
Thanks for the answers about the brace height.
Bob,
I realize there is a recommended brace height from the manufacturer. I was just wondering if the r/d D bows had a higher brace than the norm on hill style bows. Thanks for the info.
Butch, Great question. Here is the difference. because of the reflex in the D and R the bows generally require a slightly higher brace height than a D bow in order to be stable at brace. If the curve in the D and R is extreme then the bows tend too have less verticle stability. This is demonstrable just by taking the forfinger and thumb and pinching the string toward the bow limb. If if pinches very easily then the bow needs more brace or less reflex.

I will state right now that many bowyers and pros have great conflict over the importance of verticle stability. However a person with a mediocre or poor release will shoot much more consistantly with a bow that has strong vertical stability.
This said some bows have a very heavy reflex and still have acceptable stability and are very fast accurate bows in the hands of a good shooter. Others will swear at them instead of by them.

There is a place in the tweens and with proper layup of the laminations that will get you the speed and the stability. That is the great bow.

Some of the bows of this thread have just that right amount of D and R to have the speed and smoothness and still retain a good D profile./

Very few have found out how to get it all.The low 6 in brace height, stability and D shape when strung and still perform like a rocket launcher/

I have to honestly say I have not. I work at it all the time/. Still I have found the bow I consider to be the perfect hunter to still show a slight D and R shape to the limb when strung/ Working on that though./

Most bows that have D and R limbs will show D and R shape at 6 to 6 1/2 brace/ Usually they have to be braced at 7 1/2 to 8 1/2inches to attain good shape and stability/

God bless you all, Steve

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #290 on: May 07, 2012, 08:50:00 AM »
Steve,
Appreciate the answer. I keep my brace height were ever the bow shoots best but, now I have a better understanding of they're all different.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #291 on: May 19, 2012, 02:49:00 PM »
I did it again, I got another 'D' braced bow. this time a Northern Mist Huron, flatbow, 62" Shapes up perfect 'D' straight grip. I started a thread on it a few minutes ago.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #292 on: August 12, 2012, 01:47:00 PM »
TTt, it been away too long

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #293 on: August 12, 2012, 02:42:00 PM »
Good call Rob.   I would have also said that any "longbow" that has a recurve or hybrid style handle is also NOT a longbow.

The definition of a longbow is pretty simple and if anyone needs clarification on that definition they should ply through the pages of Fred Asbell's section of Instinctive Shooting (Book I, I believe), that discusses what a long bow is and is not.

If it's not a longbow or a recurve or a self bow of some design it should probably be considered a hybrid.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #294 on: August 12, 2012, 04:14:00 PM »
I'm getting the green beast back. Pg 18 shows the bow that caused me to register on tradgang . It's comming back home after a short stay with another man

« Reply #295 on: August 12, 2012, 04:37:00 PM »
I have gone to all left hand Robertson longbows for my left hand shooting, traded a  Pete George for one.  Being a longtime Hill style shooter, I am still a bit confused about how and why one is better than the other and in what way.  However, you will never hear me complain about the lack of speed at my rather short draw with these Robertsons.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #296 on: August 12, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »
Pavan,
As I have read on the Hill thread, you have quite the plethora of knowledge with the Hill Style Longbow. Seeings as how you know are venturing into the Mild R/D world of D Shaped it is interesting to hear your comparison. I for one have owned both, and do not see an advantage per'se to either one.  I still prefer a straight grip on my Mild D/R longbows. Stability on the very thin, deep cored NM Superior is of the same dimentions as the NM Hill style bows, so as far as limb stability there it is the same. And Steve has a very very mild R/D on his Huron and Superior.
 A guy I shoot with on some saturdays (RPDuff) he owns quite a few Robertsons. I know of one Primal Styk, and I dont know if his other one is a Primal or the older model. And he has another Primal on order, so yeah he is a huge fan of them. I have shot two of his primals, and they are very solid performers.
   I am still more partial to the NM Superior and Huron, but I admit to being a NM "fan boy." Steve Turays grips fit me the best of any LB I have have shot. I just dont like his wait time  :)

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #297 on: August 12, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by pavan:
, traded a  Pete George for one.
Larry,If you come across a right handed Timberline,I'll trade you a nice mild r/d Meland Nighthawk for it!
   :pray:

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #298 on: August 12, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
Question for y'all. I know Rob and R.C. Are Mohawk junkies so you might know for sure on that bower. When dealing with Hill bows its about thin limbs and deep cores. And my superiors limbs are very thin and deep cored, I like that. And my Huron is Steve's flatbow , 1 1/2" wide and thin cores( I like it too) . The old hoyt Trophy longbow has really deep core and thin limbs also. VERY VERY classic D shaped longbow.

How are Mohawk, dwyer , abbot, critter getter, etc. limb profiles. I  very interested in this. Could y'all play along and list if your D bows are more of the Native american flatbow style(GN BushBow , NM Huron) or Hill style limb dimensions ( AFB)

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #299 on: August 12, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
My Dwyer Original has narrow, deep limbs...and I love 'em!
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©