3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletching Covers on a Bow Quiver - Use them or not??  (Read 913 times)

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Fletching Covers on a Bow Quiver - Use them or not??
« on: November 07, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
Terry Green's post regarding the St. Judes Bear hunt showed a picture of all the guys sporting fletching covers on their bows and it got me thinking....

I have always used fairly bright colored feathers on my arrows and have always used a bow quiver - however I have never seen the need for a cover for the fletching end of the arrows.

I have never noticed my feathers giving away my position as they are usually the next closest thing to the ground next to my bow limb tip and my boots...

Here are some things I worry about when using one...

1 - How would the cover interfere with the shot process?  It would seem to throw off the balance if a loose piece of cloth was blowing in the breeze during the shot.

2 - What if you take a shot and the animal does not spook, could it be a possible distraction if the cloth was waving around after the shot for the animal to notice, causing them to spook and not allow a possible second shot?

3 - Do your feathers take a beating with the constant off & on?

4 - Is would seem like a general pain in the butt to slide the cover on and off each time you wanted to access an arrow or a possible shot opportunity presented itself?

I can however see some practical reasons to have one - keeping feathers dry, keeping feathers quiet, extra camo/concealment...etc, but these reasons don't seem to out-weigh the above.

Curious how many guys use them and why....(also I have never posted a poll and thought it would be fun      :D
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline gregk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletching Covers on a Bow Quiver - Use them or not??
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 07:13:00 PM »
I bought one at Compton, tried it the first couple days of the season and it kept sliding down even with me tightening it up. Probably just how I had it on there but it did get annoying so I took it off.

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
I use my mine only when its raining.

Offline Smithhammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
Never bothered with one on a bow quiver personally. My color choices for fletching when hunting big game are colors they don't see anyway. And for turkeys, I fletch with darker, natural colors.  

FYI - the way the poll is set up, you can't vote if you select "no" for the first question, because it requires that you provide info for the 2nd question as well. The message says: "You did not provide valid information in the following fields: Answer for question 2."

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 08:05:00 PM »
Try walking through dense brush with a 66" longbow and a hipquiver....I'm gonna get one on mine ASAP ......
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »
Just looked at the pic. Sure would like to know where to get one of those covers.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
I use a fletch cover when deer hunting to keep the fletching dry and protected from brush and moisture - but on a Jack Bowers Side-Stalker.  I don't care for bow quivers.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
I voted yes and and for spooking game, but the only time I am sure to use it is  for turkey.
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
I use VERY bright fletching and wraps and have been busted before when bringing the bow up to draw. Was it the exposed fletch or just the movement? Don't know but a cover sure can't hurt imho.

They don't booger up the fletch and they do protect them. Once its on the quiver you don't have to remove it to take another arrow out. Just grab one and lift it out.

I've never had any trouble with the cover interfering with the shot or flapping around.I just bought a wing extension from EFA and I thought I might have some trouble but it works fine.
Try it, you might like it!
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
I have one and only use it occasionally. If I am worried about rain or turkeys when I have bright feathers. Other times I may have different colored fletching and don't worry about turkeys. Never worry about fletch color with deer.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 07:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by Over&Under:

I can however see some practical reasons to have one - keeping feathers dry, keeping feathers quiet, extra camo/concealment...etc, but these reasons don't seem to out-weigh the above.
Obviously you've never used a fletch cover...or, maybe you used a poor excuse for one,.....either case, the 4 negative points you referred to don't exist.

:campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 08:22:00 AM »
I don't use a cover...not a real cover any way.

I have used a plastic bag a couple times in really wet conditions. But that was used when I was stationary in a ground blind.

The only colors I'm concerned about using as feathers is white and bright blue.

Deer supposedly see bright blue very well.
Also, I know white is their "alarm" color.

The other problem I have with white ( even though I love the way they look ) is other hunters in the woods might see me flashing white and decide to take shot. I see no reason to take that chance however small it might be.

...BTW.. Because I tried to vote no on your poll question 1 and therefore wasn't supposed to vote on question 2. The poll wouldn't let me complete the poll as both questions weren't answered.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 08:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:

quote:

Obviously you've never used a fletch cover...or, maybe you used a poor excuse for one,.....either case, the 4 negative points you referred to don't exist.

:thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by Zradix:

Originally posted by Terry Green:

quote:

:thumbsup:  [/b]
Same question Terry - what cover has you found to work the best?

You are correct, I had one for awhile and played with it the house but never really put it through the paces as it were. Not sure what brand it was, but seemed like a nice one.

I cannot comment with any sort of real life experience with one, but the time I spent messing with it at the house is where I came up with the 4 "potential" problems above.  Sounds like I need to try one out for myself then draw the conclusion.

Thanks for the comments everyone.  I cannot edit a poll after starting one, so I guess you only answer the second question as to what you see as most important to you IF you were to use a cover.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 10:03:00 AM »
I wouldn't hunt with out one hunting with chartruese feathers. I bought mine from 3 Rivers but the first thing i do is cut the bottom open. This way the bag isn't restricting the arrows and if you need to make a second shot it is fast getting another arrow out since it will slid past the bottom and out the top with the normal motion you use when you don't have a fletch cover on.
Just last week I shot an eight point and broke the off shoulder on the deer and the arrow bounced back out. All i saw was what I thought was a poor penetrating arrow and as the deer got up after falling over I was able to quickly get another arrow out for a follow up shot. If the fletch cover bottom was still sewed shut i wouldnt have been able to get an arrow so quickly.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 10:39:00 AM »
AWESOME QUOTE MINT!

Offline shadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »
Get one of Rod Jenkins covers and none of the issues that you stated exist.

Offline Warren Cowen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 12:50:00 PM »
I would like to see some pic. of the covers. Thanks
Warren Cowen

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
I use muted feathers so they don't attract attention and use a cover only when it rains. When I hunt in heavy rain I use a tube quiver.

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 02:03:00 PM »
Always have used 1 with my bows and would not go without it.  Not only keeps my fletchings covered but I prefer white fletch and do not like walking around with a bunch of white flashing on my side not to mention the "big" bloth of light color I am moving around with my bow.  Keeps my fletchings contained, helps with keeping them dry and is very easy to get another arrow out, just slide down and up and out.  I keep my main hunting arrow and blunt outside of the fletch cover and have never had any problems using it.
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©