3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Well its time to buy me a new recurve  (Read 485 times)

Offline LinemanARK

• Trad Bowhunter
Well its time to buy me a new recurve
« on: November 07, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
I just sold my mathews rezeen so its time to buy. I want a new Hoyt Buffalo Fred E. series. I want the 60#r . Were would be the best place to buy one in North East AR. I know I'll have to order it but thats ok. Or if someone on here has one they want to sell or is a dealer. Mike

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Well its time to buy me a new recurve
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
I believe 3 Rivers, which has an ad at the top of this page, carries them. Great folks to deal with too.

EDIT: Actually 3 Rivers carries an entire line of Fred Eichler gear.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
Yes, 3Rivers is top-notch. If you want to look for a used one post a WTB in the Trad Bow classifieds.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline OHtar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
I have seen some pretty smokin deals on **** as well.

Offline LinemanARK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »
Me to but they are the same price as a new one with a warranty. I dont know about the ones on **** I have bought a lot of stuff off there. But nothing that cost this much.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
When you can buy from a well known sponsor that will stand behind the sale (like 3 Rivers will) I sure wouldn't be looking at **** even if it did save a few bucks.  Having traditional archery dealers like that around is a real benefit to us all.  Great customer service  :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline LinemanARK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 10:05:00 PM »
Whip I agree with you and I think thats the way I'm going.

Offline lil red rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 12:20:00 AM »
I have shot the Buffalo and it is a hunters dream.  Its straight forward, shoots off of the shelf only, and has some good speed and smoothness behind it.  You can't go wrong with one.  I looked at getting one earlier this year.  The accessories that come with it are great too.  Has a case and everything.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 12:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by rezeen6.5:
I just sold my mathews rezeen so its time to buy. I want a new Hoyt Buffalo Fred E. series. I want the 60#r.
Just curious. Coming from a compound bow and then going to a trad bow, have you ever shot a 60# recurve? If you haven't, that's a lot of poundage for a newcomer to trad.

I guess what I'm trying to say, "wanting" a 60# recurve and "handling" a 60# recurve are two different things entirely when it comes to overbowing one's self.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 04:33:00 AM »
Originally posted by Night Wing:

Originally posted by rezeen6.5:
I just sold my mathews rezeen so its time to buy. I want a new Hoyt Buffalo Fred E. series. I want the 60#r.
Just curious. Coming from a compound bow and then going to a trad bow, have you ever shot a 60# recurve? If you haven't, that's a lot of poundage for a newcomer to trad.

I guess what I'm trying to say, "wanting" a 60# recurve and "handling" a 60# recurve are two different things entirely when it comes to overbowing one's self. [/b]
x2 - Number one common mistake - You will also rarely have a problem selling lighter limbs to go heavier but selling 60# limbs will be more difficult.

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »
Good advice about going lighter , most guys shoot 50-55 lbs ok comming from compound to stick and they still have to work on that .
" Live long and prosper "

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 03:36:00 PM »
I shot a 70 lb compound a few years back.   I started at 50 lbs with that first trad bow.  60 lbs would have been a real struggle!
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 04:25:00 PM »
What Night Wing said X 10, 60# is kind'a stiff for your first recurve......But maybe your a big strong young guy! Still kind'a heavy!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 04:34:00 PM »
Suggestion. Before you buy a 60lbr, be sure to shoot one several times first. When you shoot it, imagine you will be practicing daily shooting maybe 50 shots a day. Then re-think the poundage. Might be ok, maybe not. When I was in this business almost every compound guy moving to trad started with bow too heavy and had to change to lighter pounds in a very short time, costing them money. A 70lb compounds will not equate to 60lb trad. It will effect your shooting style habits, finger pain etc, especially in the beginning. You would be much better off starting too light than too heavy. I have seen it happen over and over again, compound guys think too heavy!
John

Offline Geezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 05:56:00 PM »
Same here....I sold my #70 compounds and ordered a #50 recurve.  I took the advice of several of the posters here on this forum and it's proven to be absolutely right-on.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
RMEF / NWTF

Offline LinemanARK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 06:56:00 PM »
Yes I have shot a 65# recurve a bunch but I was going to shoot 3D with this also so. I have desided to get a 55#r. And thanks for all the input and watching out for the new guy LOL. Next will be to find the right arrows for my setup any help would be great.  Thanks Mike I can get GT trads and a few others like Bemans and Eastons
I do not want to shoot woods with this bow.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »
Enjoy your journey.......at some point down the road, try some woods just for fun!!   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2011, 10:35:00 AM »
I shoot 54# at 27in on my Hoyt Buffalo and use a Beman 500 arrow with 200grs of tip weight at 28in and bareshafts perfect, I can shoot the 400 at 30in with same tip setup as well.  Those bows shoot hard and require a little stiffer arrow then previous similar weight bows I had, required me to drop 25grs of tip weight to spine out correctly.
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline PaPa Ron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2011, 11:11:00 AM »
When I sold my 70lb. Z7 and went trad only. I started at 43# and now they all pull close to 50#. That's all I want.
Sarrels BlueRidge SR 60" 52#@28
Tolke TD Recurve 56" 45#@
Dryad 17" Epic riser, multiple limbs

Jesus is My Savior!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©