3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A quest for the perfect hunting seat...continues!  (Read 4515 times)

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A quest for the perfect hunting seat...continues!
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »
After reading this thread I ordered a Hunter Seat. I am anxious to try it in our late deer season after Christmas. Looks like it will be great for still hunting with occasional sits.

I'll be using it on our upcoming hog hunt at Ray's. There's just no place to sit there without becoming fire ant food.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2011, 12:04:00 PM »
I'm sure looking hard at the Waldrop - no trees where I hunt.  Well unless you count the occasional telephone pole.  I like the look and function of the home built - but alas.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »
My quest ended with the Waldrop Pac-seat.

I've tried just about every seat out there and manufactured a few of my own design but none were as easy and comfortable as my Pac-seat.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mudd:
My quest ended with the Waldrop Pac-seat.

I've tried just about every seat out there and manufactured a few of my own design but none were as easy and comfortable as my Pac-seat.

God bless,Mudd
Amen brother Mudd!!
Jason

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2011, 02:59:00 PM »
the best seat ya can have is ya butt on good  solid ground. thats if ya dont mind the chiggers       :biglaugh:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »
I've got a  model all built in my head, but I need a trashed "easy-up" canopy to use the legs for what I want to try.... Anyone have one and if my idea works, I'll make you a seat too!  :)

I like all aspects of the Nifty, but the seat.

I don't want to end up like those Touer De France bike riders!  :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by JEFF B:
the best seat ya can have is ya butt on good  solid ground. thats if ya dont mind the chiggers        :goldtooth:    :biglaugh:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2011, 04:10:00 PM »
hell no i would need help my self   :biglaugh:      :jumper:   anyhow me and chiggers dont mix just ask Bob Walker.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »
I was pretty blown away by the Waldrop....going to order one or pick one up at Kalamazoo!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »
Check this out!   :thumbsup:    :clapper:

Offline Rod Bear

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2011, 05:24:00 PM »
I have owned quite a few seats in my time, but the Waldrop Pac Seat is by far the best that I have ever owned

Offline sticbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2011, 05:36:00 PM »
i ordered a pac seat on Nov 17th for a xmas present an im getting nervous...nothing yet...  :dunno:

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
There are several threads on here about how wonderful they are and how comfortable. Really?

I posted this same set of questions on another Waldrop Pack Seat thread...so I'm seriously looking for answers with some data.

I look at it set up and I've seen about a dozen pics with guys sitting in them. To my eye, it would appear the thing is about 10" off the ground...which would be like sitting flat on my butt with my legs crossed indian style.

HOnestly, it appears to be about as high as those li'l beach chairs that your butt sits 3" off the sand...  :(

At nearing 64 with arthritis and a back surgery, I've never found any seat lower than about 18" to be comfortable to shoot off of or to be able to move, or get up, without having to roll over on my knees.

I just don't get how that can be so comfortable?

Perhaps it's being 6'2" tall and 33" inseams that makes all this "leg" extremities seem cumbersome to manipulate sitting that low to the ground...

Not grousing, but I would love someone who's not athletic and young, to take a video of using one, show getting in and out of it and show actual measurements of how high off the ground one's butt sits!

Additionially, while I'm airing my questions, it would appear that the front is higher than where ones buttocks sit...that would mean my knees are higher than my butt!

Are any of my visual perceptions accurate?

When I did tree stands, I shopped till I found them with 22" high seats... so I could stand easily without grunting or having to pull myself up.

Thanks for any real feedback on dimensions and data... I've seen/read plenty of "it's the best" but that doesn't constructively answer my questions and the website seemed light on actual measurements.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2011, 08:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Autumnarcher:
 I like the looks of that Waldrop seat, but at that price, not gonna happen.
I agree with that statement. I wish they were cheaper as I'd try one out.

I have a pile of seats in the garage that I never use. Any chance of a trade-in?

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
What Stumpkiller said  x3
Member NCBA

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2011, 09:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Autumnarcher:
 I like the looks of that Waldrop seat, but at that price, not gonna happen.
I agree with that statement. I wish they were cheaper as I'd try one out.

I have a pile of seats in the garage that I never use. Any chance of a trade-in?

Offline yukon chuck

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
I'm trying to figure out how the Hammock Seat is such a good seat for us guys shooting trad gear. I can kind of see it for short compounds, but even then I'm trying to figure out how well you can move with your butt plopped down in a sling style seat. Seems like you couldn't lift out of it easily and without much movement if you needed to adjust shooting position. Looks comfortable for sure, but doesn't seem practical.
>>>--TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Longbow Association
Yucketsville Buffalo & Cricket Association

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle". -Plato

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
I was concerned about the price at first......then I looked at a dozen custom made arrows that I can break or lose.......Should have the seat forever, that makes it a bargain!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2011, 11:26:00 PM »
Don't let the price scare ya. Set your butt in a pacseat for a couple hours and it will be worth every cent. Shoot, I liked mine so well I bought another.

Jason

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2011, 12:35:00 AM »
I agree with Doc Nock and Yukon Chuck.

I am a 6'2 man that is highly inflexible. I have to have a REAL seat. A seat that has both butt, lower back and upper back support, and that places me high enough up that I am at less of a 'crouched' sit and almost a high sit, where I can easily stand.

The Waldrop seat appears to sit you way too low. I also think that the bar would dig into my back and get on my nerves after a while. Furthermore, it appears as though it would fall over if I tried to rotate too quickly etc.

As for the hammock seat, I agree that it would restrict movement and expansion by squishing you up like a little ball. I can only imagine fighting with that thing and trying to get leaned up and forward enough to actually take a decent shot.

Of ALL the seats on this thread the only one that looks really good to me is the Millenium Tree Seat from LL Bean:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/66657?feat=8866-GN3&attrValue_0=Black

Now that sucker looks comfortable. However, I would even ADD another back and butt pad to make it even more comfortable.

I guess you could say that I am extremely picky when it comes to comfort and my deer stands or deer seats.

The only tree stand that I find myself 100% comfortable in is the Tree Lounger, which is huge and zero gravity mesh with a full foot rest and weighs almost 40 lbs.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©