3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A quest for the perfect hunting seat...continues!  (Read 4512 times)

Re: A quest for the perfect hunting seat...continues!
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2011, 01:49:00 AM »
Noc doc: bad back, the exact reason I use strap on tree seats, my own Torges design and Huntmores. Now I know about weight of the Huntmore, and you need to be a little tactful, physically capable and mechanically savvy like my 59 year old wife to be able to carry one out, slap one together and adjust it in 3 minutes, so perhaps they are not for everyone. but once they are in place they are easy to get out of maneuver for a shot and sit relaxed in a ready to shoot position.  If what you all are after is a nap why not just take out your favorite lawn chair. I have two that are real comfortable, however, my wife has to get the neighbors to come over and lift me out of one. I have found that the walk out to my favorite mile from the car spot to be a longer walk heading out compared to my Nifty seat, but a shorter walk heading back to the car compared to a long sit on the Nifty seat. Plus I missed a buck this year because I had to turn and lost my balance enough for me to miss with the Nifty seat so now I am mad at it and i don't care how easy it is to carry.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2011, 06:28:00 AM »
Don't really have too many trees around central Tx. that are good for the wrap around types.  Cedars and live oaks mostly, and most of the live oaks are so big around you'd need alot of rope.  I bought one of the double bull magnum blind chairs.  Sits high up off the ground, has a good carry strap, ain't that heavy or bulky, sets up quick, is comfy, and has a back rest.  Easy on my back and my knees, and is nice to shoot from.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2011, 08:12:00 AM »
I have on occasion used my Lone Wolf Alpha hang on at ground level.
It works especially well when setting up on steeply inclined terrain, and gives a nice level quiet place for your feet, whether setting or standing..

I raised my seat about 2" for the same reasons Doc.

LW also offers a strap on seat for ground hunting.. I have made my own version and it works fairly well, but the stand works better.

Also have a Summit trophy seat which is very comfortable for long sets, but a bit bulky to carry and not the easiest to shoot our of.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2011, 10:03:00 AM »
I carry and use a walk stool.
 http://www.amazon.com/Walkstool-WA22-Comfort-Portable-Folding/dp/B000N2DHQ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324133915&sr=8-1
I'm good for a couple of hours in it and they are definitely built well. But obviously, there is no back support.
Where I hunt there is never a constant wind direction so I tend to move around quite a bit anyways. After a couple of hours I figure I've stunk up that area enough for the day and move on down the road.    :D
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »
It's real interesting how different we are, yet the same. I use a Niff-T-Seat and have no problem taking the seat apart after use, or loosing my balance. I have also tried taking shots at targets in all different angles and have had no problems. I find it pretty comfortable though it's true one can't sit in it for hours on end. It's versatility includes being easy to move around with, light, quiet, and easy to set up and take down, and stows away easily, I don't even know I am carrying it. I can sit in the middle of a field or against a tree if I so desire. Now all I have to do is find the time to go hunting more often.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline shadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
I have the same questions as Doc Nock. Don't any of you care to respond to them?

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2011, 02:16:00 PM »
I'm 40 years old 6'2" with a 34" inseam. Granted I havent had any back problems, but I have no problems getting in and out of the pacseat. Very comfortable and very easy to shoot out of. It's very versital, easy to carry and it's the only seat I've ever had that I can set more than 2 hours at a time without squirming around to get comfortable. I don't use the leg very often, I usually just lean it against a tree. Other than trying one, it would be hard to explain exactly how great this seat is. God made everybody differant so what works for some might not work for others. Good luck fella's in your quest for the perfect chair. As for me, I've found it!!

Jason

« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »
My Nifty seat caught me when I had to turn with my feet up hill, down hill with my back against a tree and on level ground not a problem.  Trying to very quietly turn until my feet are uphill, big problem.  With my back condition balancing on it, even on level ground, gets to me eventually.  Like most things some work better than others depending on the use and situation. Other than the minor hassle of  packing and assembly the Huntmore works in any situation.

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2011, 05:09:00 PM »
I have a chippewa  wedge lock and purchased the seat also. You can buy the strap or chain for on the tree. The strap makes for quiet long carrys easy. BUT you do need a tree to attach to. Set at any height you wish. Very  nice seat.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »
I've used the Bull ATS for years. Works well but no back rest....until now

Check it out:
 http://darkwoodsblind.com/HUNTING-CHAIRS.html

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2011, 04:38:00 PM »
I ended up making a Toque's seat after seeing the design on page one of this thread.  I added an old seat from my summit climber that I had to replace due to a torn strap.  It is easy to carry.

Not my hunting clothes, working in the yard today and took a break to shoot these picts.

Sets up quick and quiet (I have only used it once since I made it). Less than a minute.

With the added seat

Can be adjusted to different heights depending on need.

That is about toilet seat height  :)

And low.  With the thick cushion and soft back rest it is very comfortable and quiet.  It is easy to spin quietly or slip off onto a knee if needed.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »
The Torges seat easy and cheap to make, the pad set you use looks good. Should be able to sit for a spell!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline HunterLawyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
Nice job Maineac; got to try that myself.
Howard Hill Wesley Special 68", 55#@29 takedown
Howard Hill Halfbreed 70", 70#@29
Robertson Mystical 70", 66#@29
Chekmate Hunter II 60", 60#@28
Howard Hill recurve 66", 51#@28
Pearson Colt recurve 62", 52#@28

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2011, 10:14:00 PM »
Looks good Maineac! I got to make a pad for mine.
The Torges seat is ridiculously light weight and easy to carry.
I like that you showed how it can be used on large size trees.
Member NCBA

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2011, 09:00:00 AM »
Nice thread as I have been pondering this question for a while now.

Nice Maineac. I think they would be the ticket in the forests like you have back east.

There is plenty of river bottom round here that doest contain enough trees to hunt effectively from the air. Mostly thick willow and tall grass.  This stuff is thick and the natural bedding areas for many of the deer.  So I have been trying to decide on a seat to hunt from the ground.  I went with the Stag ATS and ordered it yesterday.  I needed a free standing seat with a backrest so I narrowed it down to the Stag ATS or the Waldrop pac-seat.  Between those two I thought the swivel seat would be nice when trying to cover two trails in the sea of willows. The huntmore looks nice for my application but doesnt pack as well as the ATS and costs almost 3 times as much.  I found a stag ATS for $82.  Cant wait to try it out as I have never done much ground hunting.

« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »
For my Torges style seats, I wear the pad on my belt.  i have several out, no one ever wants to steal them, they must look cheap. That way when the wind shifts and it always does, I don't have rehang the seat, I just move to downwind of the trail seat.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »
randy,

Reviewed your Stag ATS... that seems to be a good remedy.

Swivel. Compact. Lightweight. Backrest the reviews said had to have 1/4" of material removed from the low side where it rests for a stop to allow more incline...

Individual adjustment legs for uneven ground and under big gnarly tree roots... and it swivels.

Looks like a good go for anywhere from what you paid to the MFRP of $110.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Buckskin57

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »
Like the torges seat idea,hunters seat is great for the style I hunt also.Thanks gang,as usual your ideas have helped me for portable comfort.
JEREMIAH 16:16 / BEAR SUPER KODIAK /GRAYLING GREEN.

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2011, 03:03:00 PM »
Yeah Doc it seemed like a good choice to me.  It may take a little longer to set up but the ambush spots I'll be sitting in will be trimmed and thought out in advance for the most part so 3-4 minutes to set up the legs into the seat will not bother me much.  I like the idea of the adjustable height legs to deal with different heights of grass/brush etc that I will have to shoot over.  

Thanks for the reminder about shaving plastic to allow more recline.  I read that same thing some where too.  
  :thumbsup:

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2011, 06:00:00 PM »
Randy,,

I believe it was in the reviews on yoru site where it's listed under $83... but then I viewed a lot of sites on Google selling that seat...all the way to the MSRP $110!    :eek:  

Anyway, couple guys just shaved off 1/4" from where it contacts the base part so it leaned a bit more.  

Only question remaining is the back removable?

I saw one under a Black Powder listing that had no back?!!!

As for set-up time, pfft... only thing that is QUICK is what's already there! Well, that and a dairy farmer I knew had one legged stool that he wore with a belt so it stuck out like a broom handle behind him, but he could just plop down and milk old Betsy, then Irma...etc.  

Danges looking thing to walk in the milk barn and see him walking around with this broom handle looking like it was sticking out his butt!  :laughing:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©