3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My love/hate relationship with this old doe  (Read 1378 times)

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
My love/hate relationship with this old doe
« on: November 08, 2011, 10:48:00 AM »
I have this farm I've hunted for the last 10 years and for 5 years this doe with a slight limp in her back leg has blowen me out out of my stand no matter where I move it way to many time for me to remember. Yesterday morning I was late getting out so I just grabbed my ghillie suit and went to a trail and found a big oak tree and sat down. About 8:30 hear come the coyotes chaseing deer in the timber they came by heading west and I missed by inches as they came through and kind of figured my hunt was over. About 15 muintes latter hear comes ole limpy from the same way the youtes did but this time I was in the right spot. Now that it's over I've been thinking I will probally miss her but I'm sure she has a offspring out their to take over. This year she had no fawns or maybe the coyotes got them or she's just to old. I'm going to hunt their tomorrow and it will be different with out her.

I used my '64 Kodiak and a 125 Woodsman Broadhead.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My love/hate relationship with this old doe
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
It was just time. She's done her part.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 11:37:00 AM »
Well done:::Good to see the old Bear bow in use  :archer2:

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 11:40:00 AM »
Good job!  To fool such a wise old girl takes some skill.  Her daughters probably inherited her nack for spotting tree sitting humans.  Good luck.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »
I've run into does like this one several times and I think they are probably the smartest animal in the woods.   In terms of being hard to kill they require as much work....and maybe even more work....than a smart buck which can usually only be killed during the rut.   These old gals are "on" all the time and they are amazing.   A trophy any day.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 11:49:00 AM »
Great story and quite the accomplishment.

I've got a similar guard doe at one of my hunting spots. She has even saved old bucks by blowing when the buck was approaching my stand. I got to wondering if my wife called her when I left the house.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »
Glad you appreciate her and congratulations.  

Last year I was crossing paths with a Ma Doe and her twins repeatedly.  After the last of the gunfire died off in December I saw them again - or at least a similar group - across the road.  I was much relieved they had all made it.  Funny thing the relationship we get with deer.  

I was talking about deer at work and one of the women overheard and said "You're a hunter.  I thought you hated deer".  

No, I think the world of deer and respect them more than some people.  Make that most people.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »
Doug, your relationship with this old girl hits home for me. We had an old matriarch doe on our family farm for years that would give us fits. She had a white patch on her left hip and is how we would recognize her. I finally killed her one year and had similar feelings although we were all glad she was gone. A more worthy foe you will not meet in an old doe as yours. A true trophy you should be proud of.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »
It does not require big antlers to be a worthy adversary. Congrats on the ol longnose.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
Great job! Congrats on a fine deer.

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
An old doe is much harder to hunt then a love sick buck! Congrats
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline BeNoIt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 01:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stumpkiller:

No, I think the world of deer and respect them more than some people.  Make that most people.
Funny - I was thinking "what does he mean some people, more like most people" then I read the end of the sentence.    :biglaugh:

Congratulations on the doe. I have one of those watchful ones behind my place as well. I watch her come out first from the thick stuff looking around and then the others follow. I just had to move one of my stands because of her but I don't say that with frustration, rather respect. She busted me early in the season in it and wasn't going to allow anyone near there again until I moved, so I did. We'll see if I can't catch up with her one of these days.
David

Matthew 6:33  But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Bigfoot Flatliner 55@28 64" (New!)
Spirit LB 55# @28" 62"

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 01:27:00 PM »
Getting a mature doe is a feat in itself.  One of my goals for the season was to take a mature doe.  I feel they are just as much on edge as a mature buck.  Congrats!
>>>--------->

Offline doulos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 01:44:00 PM »
Way to go Doug77!
Old does are cagey for sure and not easy by any stretch. They use the wind constantly to scent check and are very wary.
just my 2 cents
I think the dumbest deer in the woods are 1.5 yr old bucks during the rut. They have one thing on thier mind. They respond to calls with allmost total abandon sometimes.

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »
Congrats, like others have said.  Old does are almost impossible to kill.  They have been looking out for themselves and their off spring for many years.

Enjoy your trophy.
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »
Better for you that you got her and not the coyotes. Congrats on the trophy!!
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 02:15:00 PM »
Doug,double satisfation to outsmart that doe on the ground,with your trusted 64.It looks to be a killer!  :clapper:    :clapper:
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »
Man i can relate to your story, I am glad to see that many of us Trad hunters have these encounters with these wise ole gals! I have one big doe that I have seen for the 3 yrs I have hunted this area! She has 2 others does always with her but they are not yearlings! She has a real dark almost Black yew to her coat, no matter where I sit even when I am downwind she knows exactly where I am, on the ground, in a tree, she somehow knows, its uncanny! then she Blows like crazy,I have never seen a deer blow so much! LOL The 2 with her never appear to be alerted she lets them amble about while she stands back and watches, I have almost had shots at them but the minute you move a eyelash she lets out a snort and the way they go! I have seen this group about 6 times so far year and the results are the same! In comparision I have a real small spike buck that doesn't seem to care what the hell I do, he should hang out with her for an education! She is my challenge if I ever get a shot and take her I am sure I will have some mixed feelings about it, its almost as we know each other on a personal level!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline BoonRoto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »
Nice!

Users currently browsing this topic: