3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cheap Caribou hunt. 3 cancellations=3 openings  (Read 1155 times)

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
Cheap Caribou hunt. 3 cancellations=3 openings
« on: July 13, 2007, 10:48:00 AM »
I posted this same hunt on here last month when there was one slot left. That slot was filled thanks to Mr Bob Walker. The hunt is with Tuttulik Outfitters. There are now three more openings. I know that this is a very short notice but I would like to be able to recover the slots that I have already secured. The cost is $2600.00 so that I can recover some of the cost that has already been paid. Please contact me if you are intrested. The dates are Aug 30th - Sept 5th. Here is the link to this working mans hunt.  http://www.tuttulik.com/rates-workingman.htm

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cheap Caribou hunt. 3 cancellations=3 openings
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 02:21:00 PM »
I noticed on the website that caribou tags are not included. Do you know the cost of the tags?

Donald
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 04:52:00 PM »
Don since I have already taken care of this the tags are already paid for.

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 05:48:00 PM »
Cool. Man I am already getting excited. I can not wait. I know the drive will be long, but it will be worth it. Hey, do I need a passport? I hope I have time to get one back in time, Month should be no problem I would think. This is going to be sooooo much fun.

My Bro is going to be so jealous.
 :bigsmyl:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:  

Donald
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 05:54:00 PM »
Due to the Western Hemisphere Travel Inititive, you will need a passport. But the deadline has been extended, so proof of citizenship, ie certified birth certificate may work. Better get a passport though, but there is a big backlog and I do not know if you will get one in time. I HATE YOU!,LOL. Good luck. Might be cheaper to fly.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 06:26:00 PM »
You won't need a passport untiul 1/8/08. Sfter that you will need either a passport or proof that you have applied for a passport. Of course if your flying you will need one now!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 06:32:00 PM »
Come on Danny, join us. Donald, I sent in for my passport and paid the expedite fee and was told that there was 12 week backup. I got mine back in 3 weeks, but would have never expected that.Also if you apply for the passport you will need to send in your birth certificate. This could be an issue if you do not have the passport back by the time we leave. You will need that birth certificate as an official document in order to cross the border. Flying into Canada you will need a passport. Driving you will need a certified birth certificate to get across the border. Also, no hand guns are allowed into Canada I have been told.

So I guess this means we now have 2 openings left. We are really looking forward to filling the camp with Bow hunters and having a great time of hunting and fellowship.

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 06:36:00 PM »
Well I will go ahead and apply for one anyway. We are driving up.

Now I need to figure out which bow to take. I know what arrows I am taking, just need to decide on the bow. Blacktail or Morrison??? Maybe morrison since it is a little heavier poundage.

Will a 49# @ 28" be OK or would 53# be better. Never hunted caribou before. This has been one of my trad dream hunts along with moose. May get to go to Alaska for moose next year.

I am not going to be able to sleep for over a month now. I am so pumped

Donald

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 06:44:00 PM »
Donald, which ever one you shoot best will be the one to bring.
Take 2 tylenol PM and call it a night

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 06:45:00 PM »
Donald I shot plumb thru one and 30 yards out the other side with a 57# bow a few years back with a big ol snuffer on it. I wouldn't hesitate to use 48#. Which one do you shoot better?
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 06:46:00 PM »
Good advice Mickey

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 07:05:00 PM »
I shoot the Blacktail the best, so guess it gets to go. I love that bow, and it is the only curve I have. The other six are longbows. Thanks guys.

Donald

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline Tique

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 07:10:00 PM »
Chuck, sent you a PM.
Untested ideas are not facts.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 08:05:00 PM »
If you have an old passport, and I know ya do, then you do not need to send the birth cert in for the new pp, just the old pp. Best to have the certified birth certificate on hand as backup. Good Luck!

Chuck, if I was on the mainland I would be coming in a heartbeat, but alas from Guam it is not possible right now.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »
Hey Bro, Just tell Julie you are coming now for a family emergancy.   :bigsmyl:   That way you could tell her she can stay home in Dec. cause you can not afford her ticket then.   :biglaugh:      :biglaugh:  

Send pics after she gets through with you.ROTFLMAO.    :jumper:      :jumper:

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2007, 08:54:00 PM »
I already have that time off and more... for elk in colo.   Love elk huntin but want to try caribou someday.  What a choice, elk - caribou - el-cari - carielk - elkaboo.  Oh my.   :knothead:

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2007, 08:59:00 PM »
Hey bowdude, Quebec is closer than Colorado.  :bigsmyl:

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline Eric in FLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2007, 09:12:00 PM »
Chuck, for those of us who have never hunted Caribou / Canada before, would you give an overview of what we should expect ?

Climate, bugs, scouting, abundance of game, a must have gear list...

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
Eric, since this hunt will be taking place in far north country at the end of Aug. I would recommend cold weather clothes as well as good rain gear. My plan is since we are limited on 70lbs of gear to bring enough long unders to change daily and probably 2 to 3 outter camo suits. The outters can be worn multiple times. As far as bugs go, I dont go NO-WHERE without my Thermacell. Odds are I wont even use it. The weather up there can change drastically this time of year from one day to the next. I am expecting cooler temps. at that time but God only knows how it will turn out. As far as the game, most everyone that I know that has been there has been more than pleased at the amount of Caribou. One thing to remember though is we are hunting Caribou and I don't know anyone that can predict those nomads. I have heard stories of not being there one day and then hundreds of them the next.  I hope this helps .

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2007, 10:46:00 PM »
I have never hunted caribou in Quebec (only in Alaska) but quebec is similar only with more cover. I would expect the wind to blow all the time. I would expect it to rain some if not most of the time. I would expect to walk quite a bit on a fairly mushy surface so good waterproof boots would be a requirement. Turtleneck,  several pairs of gloves, 2 pairs of socks for every day. A good rainsuit. A wool or insulated vest, at least one wool watchcap.

In Alaska the herd was also migratory up to a point (big territory to walk around in). For 3 days we saw literally thousands..then just like that they were gone. I have a friend that hunted Quebec that had the same thing only for the first 3 or 4 days all that came thru were cows and calves. Guys in his group panicked and filled there tags with cows. Last couple of days the bulls came thru. My buddy held out and killed 2 fine bulls however he was prepared to come home empty handed.

If your outfitter is willing to move you to where the critters are that's good. If not he's useless IMO.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©