3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cheap Caribou hunt. 3 cancellations=3 openings  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cheap Caribou hunt. 3 cancellations=3 openings
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2007, 12:08:00 AM »
Wow, this is a great opportunity and I'm sorely tempted.  My boss at home left today on a mission trip to Alaska for a week and my boss at work gave me a bunch of crap today, to the point that I may quit.  I have a Colorado hunt that starts on Sept. 4 and ends on Sept. 19, and after that I'm driving up to Montana to hunt elk and deer.  The cost can't be beat and I'd love to make it a "September to remember".  I can just imagine that conversation when I pick up my wife at the airport:

me:  Welcome home.  I have good news and bad news, which do you want first?

her:  Uh...the good news?

me:  I'm going caribou hunting with some Tradgangers!  I already sent in the check to some guy in Woodstock, GA.  It's OK though, I think he is a TBG member.

her:  Oh....(icy stare)...then what's the bad news?

me:  I told my boss to take his job and shove it.  I quit last week!  So, can I carry those bags, you look faint.

her:  You're a dead man walking when I get my hands around your skinny red neck, you little ##^%$%^^&
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2007, 10:12:00 AM »
Nakohe, you will need a passport if you are travelling by air (you don't if you drive through the border)

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2007, 10:28:00 AM »
Hey Jeff, I want video of that conversation........  :bigsmyl:  

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2007, 02:56:00 PM »
Excuse my ignorance but what airport would be closet to fly into.Trying to do some quick research here.Thanks
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2007, 09:39:00 PM »
Going with Tuttulik take good hiking hunting boots. Yes there are a few wet areas but mostly rocks everywear with brushy areas. I took a pair of rubber boots and a pair if waterproof hunting boots that I use in Colo. and the only time I put the rubber ones on was to wade to the float plane. First week of Sept last year 9 of us got 13 caribou, all with trad gear. Bugs were non-existent at that time and it was warmer than we wanted as I hunted in a long sleeve t-shirt 3 days. Weather can change in a hurry so be prepared. Good luck. Boney can give you a list to pack with.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2007, 10:09:00 PM »
Hey Hill Boy I will be driving up and meeting the rest of the gang in Nashville. You can ride with me and share gas if you want.

Donald
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »
nakohe,thats a mighty considerate offer.Do you think the pass port will be a problem?Those pack of wolves that raised me didn't keep very good records.Im thinking I need to do this deal!

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2007, 11:07:00 PM »
Don, I got an email from chuck.My hi dollar net is acting up.I'll contact you email, tomorrow.Considering your location we have a lot of options.

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2007, 06:17:00 AM »
Hill Boy,

All you will need to cross the border driving is a certified birth cirtificate. Course if you have a passport that will work too.

Donald
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2007, 08:43:00 PM »
We now have only one opening left. Nakohe and Hill Boy have confirmed that they are in. Nakohe I live about 4-5 hours from Nashville. You will probably want to leave out that Monday morning.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2007, 09:58:00 PM »
Man, This is killing me.  I had to pass on this hunt cause I need some roto-routing on my knee (from this past years TX Sweat). What a great group of arrow slingers going!  

As to pass ports, for the Quebec Bear Hunt all we needed were current US Drivers Licenses with photo ID.  Next year supposedly a pass port but they waved that this year too!  I expect to see lots of pictures & stories.  Good Luck...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2007, 11:29:00 PM »
Doc, I wish you were going with us as well but I understand about that knee. Get that taken care of and re-hab patiently and get back after it.

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2007, 12:07:00 AM »
Man Doc I wish you were going too, but get that knee taken care of. I am going to check on a hunt like this next year for moose in Alaska. I will post what I find out. I know a guy who used to live and guide in Alaska for moose. He still goes once a year and takes a group up pretty cheap. A lot less than through some one up there anyway. I will find out the prices and post later in the year to see if anyone is interested.

Donald

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2007, 09:13:00 AM »
:readit:  Ya did read that part about hill boy going didn ya  :bigsmyl:

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2007, 10:32:00 AM »
looking forward to having you join us Hill Boy

Offline oldgriz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2007, 10:46:00 AM »
Here is a little trick I was given when I went on my first trip... since you are limited to 70 pounds of gear....
Wear multiple layers of clothing and stuff your pockets with some of the stuff that you absolutely need but weighs a bit...
I was actually able to pick up about 5-7 pounds of "stuff" that was able to now go in my bag.
YEAH, you look funny getting on the plane, and yeah the pilots all know the trick... but it works...
Tom Mullane
Bear Grayling Mag TD 60" 50#
Bear Grayling Mag TD 64" 37#
Wing Chaparell 60" 48#
Tom Cole Old Timer LB 68# 54#

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2007, 11:56:00 AM »
some one else needs to jump on this deal.The way i look at it.Were not getting any younger and these hunts are not getting any cheaper.This is a great buy and has the research and arrangements already done.I can't quit grinning or talking about it.This is going to be good.  :bigsmyl:  Ok I'll shut up now!wonder if those caribou have ever seen a screaming arrow out of a morrison shawnee?Speaking of bob i better give him a rang.

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2007, 12:05:00 PM »
If anyone wants to go and cannot figure how to do it, I can probably fit one more in my truck. Just me and Hill Boy and we could use some company. Anyone around DFW or Arkansas area that can swing it and needs a ride we would be glad to have ya.

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline PhilFloyd

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2007, 12:13:00 PM »
Chuck - just sent you a PM.

Offline CJ Pearson