3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting for ---------- the past  (Read 463 times)

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting for ---------- the past
« on: November 08, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
I'm fortunate to still be able to hunt a piece of property that even my Dad hunted on.. In fact, he and his childhood friend hunted on this tract since the early '60's. I learned to hunt on this land.
  They grew up together and both served during World War ll.. They hunted many different areas during their lives but during the last 40 years or so almost all of their hunting was on this piece of property that I hunted this evening. At some point during their time here they parked a small trailer in an oak groove and called it camp. I built them a porch on the side of the little trailer where they cooked and enjoyed a toddy after an evenings hunt. I often spent time with them after their hunts, just listening and visiting about things past and present. The current events revolved mostly around hunting!
    I remember many good deer that wound up hanging from a tree limb just outside of camp and then an evening celebration would begin..

I didn't think I was going to able to hunt this evening due to work even though I had planned on being in the woods.. As the day wound down it appeared as if I'd have an hour or so to go.. I keep most of my gear in the truck this time of the year so I grabbed my bow and hurried to my parking spot, which happened to be Dad's old hunting camp.
After slipping on my daypack I picked up my bow and crossed a four wire fence to go towards my treestand. It just happened to be one that I could  get to the quickest, given the short amount of time I had. I got in the stand and the mosquitoes were buzzing about. As much as I hate to, I sprayed my face and hands with repellent.
   Just before dark what I gauged as a 2 1/2 year old 8 point came through.. I thought he had a lot of room to grow if he could just get a few years older. I enjoyed his company and in a few minutes he ambled on and out of my sight. Dark settled in and I climbed down and gathered my gear. A little headlight sure makes walking out in the dark easier. So, with my daypack on and my bow in my hand I started back towards my truck.
      After crossing a creek and then the fence I found myself on edge of Dads camp. In the dim glow of my headlight I could see Dad and Dick sitting under the porch, drink in hand, cooking something for dinner. As I gazed off to the right towards the "hanging tree" I saw a great buck that Pops had killed. And on another limb hung a buck that Dick had shot. As I closed my eyes memories of many other bucks and campfires came flooding back. What a great place and time this old camp was!
      Dad and his best friend, Dick,  passed away 6 or 7 years ago. I miss them all the time, but particularly during deer season.
Great memories, all !!
                       Good hunting guys

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting for ---------- the past
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
I can picture it in my mind from your description. Memories are wonderful things. Thanks for sharing with us.    :campfire:
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 10:19:00 PM »
That is a very heartwarming story Pat. You are fortunate to have such memories and thanks for sharing that with us.   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 10:25:00 PM »
You are a lucky man to have been able to share those times with your Dad!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 10:55:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing.
James Kerr

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 11:01:00 PM »
I'm lucky that my wife's cousins allow me to hunt the land they own and I've bowhunted on since 1973.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 01:42:00 AM »
Memories can take us back to the best part of our lives,your a lucky man to still be able to hunt the area,congrats and enjoy.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline tradshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 01:52:00 AM »
Heartwarming memories for sure. Took me back to some good memories of my own. Thanks for sharing.
Bob

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 03:28:00 AM »
Nice way to honor those memories, and your Dad.  Glad you can still enjoy that same piece of property, and hopefully you can hang something on that tree limb soon.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline dispatch 510

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 03:48:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing.

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
Great story Pat!!!!  :bigsmyl:    :clapper:    :goldtooth:    :biglaugh:  

Bisch

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 12:09:00 PM »
That's what it is all about!

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »
those memories are truly what life is all about, thanks for bringing back some of my old man and me, he was my best friend, hunting partner, confidant and mentor for 28 years. Thanks!

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 03:01:00 PM »
Whew.  Ok, I'll say it...I got all misty-eyed reading that last part... Tugs at me knowing my own dad's lingering days in a nursing home dwindle.

He would have killed to have had even an annual outing like you describe, but Mom was always 'afraid' of being left home alone so he never went much... killed a few later in life near home...but few and far between.  Never got to share in a kill with him... tried to take him as much as I could but he did get to a camp of an older friend a few years while I 'baby-sat' mom.

Thank you for sharing, Pat.

That connection with nostalgia is so missing as progress eats up past memory sites.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
Great story.  It must be great to have such memories, cherish them!
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
Pat, thanks for sharing.  I lost my brother and favorite hunting partner five years and three months ago.  All we have are great memories of hunts past to hold on to.  I sure hope my memory never goes.  There isn't a day that goes by that he is not in my thoughts particularly hunting season, for this is a passion that runs deep within me.  Thank you for your story and sharing such a great memory.

David

Offline pauljr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2011, 03:37:00 PM »
Thanks
PBS Associate Member

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I wont tolerate it" Woodrow F Call

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »
Thanks ever so much for the memories,I'm like Doc,my Dads wilting away in an Old folks home.I see him twice a week and we talk of the times over 50 years ago about a little fella trudging thru the snow,feet cold,nose running and getting wacked by branches ,because he was following to close again,I'd die to have those days back! Thank you my friend.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©