3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Safety Rope Source  (Read 955 times)

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
Safety Rope Source
« on: November 09, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »
Hey guys,

I guess everybody has been reading the stories about falling out of stands and it has me thinking about it.  I generally have a tie in on my tree and wear a harness.  However, i am not attached when climbing.  I know how to make the prussic but cant find a good source of rope.  Where are you guys getting your rope at???  I have looked online and it seems like there is all sorts of stuff available but I dont know what it all is and some of that stuff is pretty pricey when you start talking about making 6-8 set ups.  

Any input would be appreciated

Caleb
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Re: Safety Rope Source
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 10:40:00 AM »
REI has a good selection of climbing rope.

Bisch

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 10:40:00 AM »
Home Depot, Lowes, REI
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 10:43:00 AM »
What type of rope does a fella need to get?
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »
My 2 cents. A lot of people including myself do not want to necessarily trust their life on a prussic knot that they tied. As an alternative, I use an ascender. You can get them at rock climbing sources or from general construction safety equipement vendors. Mine will work perfectly on a 3/8-1/2" rope. When I go up into a tree I am protected even before my feet leave the ground.

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »
Just googled "ascenders". They can get pretty salty! BobCo 1965, is there one you recommend? Two that weren't too bad (expensive) were the Petzl Tibloc Ultralight and the Wild Country Ropeman both for around $30.00.

Also wondering about the specifics about the prussic knot. What happens?
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 12:35:00 PM »
I've been useing prussic knot rope (5mm) and mainline 7-8mm rope from EMS, REI.etc.  but have found some 3/8" boat braided nylon docking line with a spliced eye from wally world that seems to work ok as a mainline, but only 15' long. Usually I am snapped in one step above ground and feel pretty secure.

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 12:44:00 PM »
b.glass- A prussic knot is used for ascending and emergency use in rockclimbing. Basically you tie a small rope on with the knot as a sort of "barrel" that goes aroung the rope you have attatched up at the point your trying to get to. When you put weight on the small rope friction against the other rope locks it in rock solid. When you take your weight off it you can loosen it and move it up the rope. Google image prussic loop and you will what i mean. Hope this helps.  :)

Offline oldschoolbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
So, I've stopped hunting until I can begin hunting using a little more commonsense. I've always climbed unattached then strapped in with an older chest type harness, lately I've felt a little uneasy about this arrangement. Can anyone recommend what I need to do to hunt safer?

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 01:08:00 PM »
I get mine at local sporting goods stores that have camping and climbing goods. The 7mm works great for my tracking dog's lead too. Stiff enough that it doesn't wrap around brush. Much better line than the limp poly braid that I've found in boat and hardware stores. Also doesn't fray as easily.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »
Be carefull what you buy for "safety" rope. As with everything else, I have to get the heavy duty stuff. If you check most ropes you buy at Lowes or Home Depot, you'll find their ratings unsatisfactory. ie; a 1/2" braided nylon rope may only test out at 125#.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »
HSS sells the pre-done rope with Prusic knott in a 30 foot length for 39.95 at the local Gander Mountain.  My buddy made a couple from line he got at a climbing store and he said he had $20-25 into each one.  For the difference, I'm satisfied with HSS (Hunter Safety Systems).  

It's the only way to go in my opinion.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 01:35:00 PM »
West Marine has a lot of very strong ropes that would do the job at a reasonable price.

Not trusting a Prussic knot that is tied correctly is fine.  They've been used for a very long time with success.  

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »
Climbing ropes are the ticket.  I got a few hundred feet from an auction a while back for almost nothing.  They are frequently discarded by climbers after a stress or when a section is damaged.  Since we only need 20 feet or so, it's realatively easy to find a good section.  In the end, you own your own safety so do some research.  There are some decent ropes at hardware stores but the cost isn't much better than good climbing rope.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »
Some of the Treestand Manfactures, Summit, Hunter Safety Systems, offer a 3 pack of the rropes with purssik knots.  They'll run around $100. for the 3 pack.  Check 'em out.
The trouble with going to a "Box Store", is that they don't usually carry a rated climbing type rope.
Fire Dept. Safety equipt. sales, Rock Climbing stores, Mine Safety Suppliers, etc. will have thwe rope that is needed.  It will cost more than the "box stores", but you'll get the real thing.
Be safe out there.
JAG/Johnny
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »
This is one of those subjects that comes up at camp almost every year. I can never figure out why some folks will shell out close to or over 300 dollars for a treestand and then shop around for some bargin basement fall protection? Remember Christopher Reeves who played "superman" he only fell off a horse and broke his neck ( thats a lot lower to the ground then your average stand) That guy was in a lot better shape then most guys I hunt with as well. Hunter safety system and Summit seat of the pants systems are rated fall protection made for bowhunters. Either system will run 100 to 150 bucks but, what is your life worth? It only takes one time, game over. Just my two cents.

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011, 01:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by b.glass:
Just googled "ascenders". They can get pretty salty! BobCo 1965, is there one you recommend? Two that weren't too bad (expensive) were the Petzl Tibloc Ultralight and the Wild Country Ropeman both for around $30.00.

Also wondering about the specifics about the prussic knot. What happens?
I use a Petzl. I think I paid about $40 for it about 10 years ago. It is still going strong. On the other hand, my friend got some $20 ascenders from a construction safety vendor which works just as good. It is just not ergonomically the same as the petzl.

And let’s just say I am not that proficient at trying knots. I am also not that keen on trusting someone I don't know to tie one for me. :-)

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »
I buy my safety ropes from REI. The main ropes are rated at around 2,000# which is safe in a dynamic fall situation. I forget what the smaller diameter rope I use for the prussic knot is rated for. I have long ones for permanantly attaching up top for a ladder stand and a small one I use to attach to a tree and slide up and down with a climber. I use them in conjunction with good climbing carabiners from REI too.

For installing climbing sticks I use a linemans belt with the shorter rope on the tether.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »
Long while back I googled the whole Prussic thing and got a climbing site.

They were pretty intense about what type rope for the main line...something about the finish of the safety main rope had to be a specific way to hold the prussic.

I got the feeling if it was too slick, it would not "jam" well and if it was too knobby, it wouldn't slide up /down easily.

I put stands up and take them down each time in and out of the woods...as I get older, that gets more and more challenging and tiring...

I hunt one buddy's that has them...

The prussic? It was also clearly diagramed and if I remember correctly, they suggested particular adhesive to seal the knot you tie the clip into from your harness.

Sorry I can't be more specific. I might have that information tied to favorites at home, but won't be there till next week.

It was a mountaineering site I believe...dead serious stuff!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline oldschoolbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
Running buck, I don't think anyone is planning to buy rope at walmart or anything......as for myself I am just trying to understand what I need for a good safe climbing system. However it makes sense to include whatever may be needed for the people that might need to be on a budget but still want to be safe. Lots of people out of work, lots of people that may not be able to spend $200 this time of year.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©