3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Homemade treestands...  (Read 854 times)

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
Homemade treestands...
« on: November 09, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »
Been thinking about building a homemade treestand lately. I have a lot of good trees to do it in. Trees where there are 2,3 and 4 trunks from 1 tree. I'm talking nice big sturdy trunks.
Can these be built safely? I should mention that I have carpentry skills that will enable me to build these solid. My concerns are the trees moving and the framework loosening. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Plans, pictures of stands that you have built would also be helpful. Thanks!
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Homemade treestands...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »
Sure you can. Use treated lumber and through bolts with large washers. Don't use nails for anything structural. Design them so that they will stay in place with gravity. You also want to add a non-slip surface. Wood will get incredibly slippery over time. Any wood stand is going to need a lot of maintenance, too. Moving trees will inevitably loosen or break something. A good wind storm could totally wreck one in a matter of seconds.

Personally, I think that it would probably be cheaper to buy a good lock on stand and install some tree steps. You could get something like a Chippewa Wedge-Loc, and put in some screw in steps and the cable on several different trees.

Even if you only spent $100 per stand on wood, not counting the time you put in, you're realistically looking at spending that at least every other year, maybe yearly.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 06:39:00 PM »
I've built them in the past but never nailed, screwed or bolted anything to the tree.  I basically built ladder stands out of pressure tx. lumber with a platform attached to the top.  They were then set against the tree and attached with chains and turnbolts.  Heavy as all get out but very solid and comfortable.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »
With the advent of cheap and easy to install stands these days and the cost of treated lumber and plywood homemade stands are a loosing proposition. We do them in the marshes of MD but for rifle hunting and they are big enclosed and covered stands, not suitable for bowhunting out of.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 06:59:00 PM »
Is this on private land,on most(All I think) public land you can not build permanent stands.
 And 2x4's and 3/4 plywood make a great condo in the sky.Best done in the off season
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
What you can do, regarding tree movement, is to attache the the under cariage of you platforme, to one tree and to have the rest, of the lag bolts going thrue orizontal slots in the 2x6, so that in the wind, all the trunks can move freely. If you have a chance, go to a library, and look for boks on tree house building, tones of ideas!!
Good luck and post pictures!

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 07:16:00 PM »
cheaper top buy a hangon stand. you can often get them for $40
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 07:16:00 PM »
yep, private land. The reason I want to build instead of buy is just for the room. I want to bring my son with me. I also think it would be a great project for us.
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
Brian, get one of those big double ladder stands, it will better in the long run and you can move it if you have to!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
Ain't crazy about those things Ron. A buddy of mine almost killed himself trying to put one up a couple weeks ago.Those things are heavy as hell. I hate relying on others to get my stands up. Looking for something a little bigger.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »
In my opinion would never even attempt it, my bones mean more to me than my wallet..
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »
I have a friend who built one on the ground so that it could be disassembled. After building he disassembled it and then put the platform elevated on planted 4x6s. then attached the sides and roof. His son shot a button buck (I think it was a button buck) early on in the bow season. It's also big enough for a stretched out nap if need be. Basically a small hut on stilts.

I built a ladder stand out of treated 2x4s and the platform supports are 2x6s. It sways with the sweet gum tree but is not built for two. Lumber and deck screws cost me about $40 last year.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
Best of luck with whatever you come up with!!   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 07:31:00 PM »
Has nothing to do with money...it would actually be cheaper to buy 2 ladder stands and put them on the same tree.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 07:39:00 PM »
You don"t ever want to build a stand that is attached to more than one tree. Wind movement will tear it apart in a short time. I don't believe in building stands like that myself but have hunted property where people did it and I saw several attached to triple trunk tree collapse before they were ever used.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Online elk nailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 07:44:00 PM »
Don't do it! By a manufactured one and enjoy life with your wife and kids.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011, 07:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by horatio1226:
Has nothing to do with money...it would actually be cheaper to buy 2 ladder stands and put them on the same tree.
There ya have it!  Ladders are very comfortable and roomy if you buy the right one's. Used together for both of ya. And, you can always seperate as needed.
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »
I build ladder stands. I predrill all holes and have some that are 15+ years old. Trees grow and move. I use one lag bolt in back to tree and can adjust as needed.  
Anytime you attach to multi. Trees you are asking for trouble.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
Home made, permanent style wooden stands account for more accidents than those manufactured stands.

They are exposed to all nature has to offer year round. Trees moving and swaying, moisture, heat and cold all take thier toll on the integrity.

They can look perfectly safe, when in fact the wood is significantly weakened. Attachment points, nails, screws, drilled holes all allow moisture to enter the wood, starting the decay process.

Steps and railing are prone to failure, rsulting in falls.

Like mentioned before, for the cost, buy a stand built to TMA specs.

Old decaying stands are eyesores in the woods, and even if you dont use it anymore, someone else could come along and assume it safe, and be seriously injured or killed.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
Check out the platform designs used by some of the tree canopy ropes courses. Cool stuff. Platforms are built around single bole trees and held in place by friction wedges. Not a single nail or bolt in the tree. They are large and sturdy and can hold several people at once. They wrap entirely around the tree so you cam walk around 360 degrees. For hunting you'd need a ladder to get into them. Unless you want a zip line!!

http://www.sandyspringadventurepark.org/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©