3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Homemade treestands...  (Read 853 times)

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Homemade treestands...
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
IMO manufactured stands are the way to go.  A homemade stands are an acident waiting to happen.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
In 1989 I built a treated wood swing set for my then 3yo and 1yo daughters. It was nailed together and bolted together in different spots. Two swings, a slide, and a set of rings for hanging and flipping. They used it almost every day that the weather was good. They outgrew it and I gave it away to good friends for their four kids. They have had it about ten years now. The plastic swings have been replaced as has the ring set. The treated wood is still holding strong after all the torque from the swinging, sliding, and flipping over the years.

If you build a treestand out of treated wood, build it well, check it regularly, then it'll last for years of weathered use and non-use. Even approved and inspected metal and cabled parts fail.

Just don't be reckless about it and you should be fine if you want to build one.

I trust my self-built wood tree stand more than my Gorilla climber.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »
Sounds like fun..

Be careful and enjoy.

Offline Catskill Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »
I have built many stands over the years, mostly for rifle but some for bow.  They really don't cost that much and can be alot roomier and stable than hang-ons.  You should always check them before each hunting season, but if done right only require attention every 5 years or so.

I like to put them in trees that have a Y, for ease of installation.  Use good sized spikes for the attachment to the tree and screw or spiral nails to hold it all together.  My rifle stand has a roof and a trapdoor to climb up through the bottom. Shot many bucks from a home built stand.

Offline Trad-Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »
It is a well documented fact that the majority of tree stand accidents take place with "home made" or "built in" stands.  Why anybody would be interested in risking themselves or a loved one in one of them eludes me.

Offline laxbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2011, 10:37:00 PM »
i am very interested in this as well.

more for next year.  We have finger of trees on our property that are all clumped up like you said.  I currently have a lock-on on one of the trees in one of the groups.  for next year i really wanted to build a platform inside of the group which has an approx. area of 6ft x 6 ft.

I was wondering how it can by done and done safely.

I just wanted to build a platform so one or two people could sit and shoot 360 with any weapon.

I know there is enough space for it, i just want to do it safely.

Great topic!

Offline TroutGuide

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
I built a very nice ladderstand for the very same reasons as op and I like it.  I would not do it again unless I had the perfect tree and spot which I did/do have.  It is more expensive to do it right and more dangerous in my opinon to go this route.  A double ladder stand is lighter(can be moved) and will last longer. If you realy want to go for it but I would look into platform blinds or the double ladder stands first.
Brian Harris
"I rarely ever give a definate answer about hunting or fishing."  Me

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2011, 05:25:00 AM »
For those that doubt this can be done safely, just go and look up treehouse design. It can be done safely and the accidents that you read about are the stands built by people who have no business putting a tool in their hands. Decks collapse all the time because people build them that shoudn't be, doesn't mean nobody should ever build a deck.
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2011, 05:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by Trad-Man:
It is a well documented fact that the majority of tree stand accidents take place with "home made" or "built in" stands.  Why anybody would be interested in risking themselves or a loved one in one of them eludes me.
It is also a well documented fact that people get shot while hunting.
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2011, 08:24:00 AM »
Oh good grief, people have been building tree houses and permanent stands forever.  Like anything else, do it right or don't do it; pretty simple.  Some of my best hunting memories are from hunts out of easy to access, comfortable permanent treestands.  There will always be some people you could lock in a rubber room with a big rock and they'll either break it or lose it.  They need to stay on the ground.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »
Do you sleep in your yard for fear that your wood framed house will collapse on you? I know how you love your family and there no chance that your gonna let your boys climb into a little rascals tree fort. Check it frequently as Im sure you will and hunt away. The only warning Ill give you is that a lot of deer do become familiar with any type of permanent stand and will give you the stink eye everytime they're near it.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2011, 10:43:00 AM »
To each his own, but where I hunt I wouldn't even bother.  The deer have been duly educated and walk around looking up.  I've typically hung multiple small chain-on stands (Loc-On LEMS) just before the season in prime locations, always with good cover, never above the level of the mountain laurel and 50% will still get busted before I ever hunt them the first time!  20 years ago this tactic worked, but the deer have caught on...I killed the stupid ones.  I have friends who put permanents in prime areas and ruined them within a couple years.  Next year I've resolved to put stands up and take them down only when they're being hunted....what a hassle!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2011, 10:44:00 AM »
I used to build stands into trees but over time, the kind of deer I hunt quickly become aware of  them and change their pattern.  

Way back when, I bought a climbing stand---the predecessor to the "Baker".  It was then called the "profane" stand.  First time I used it, I moved to an area away from my permanent stands and killed a nice 8 pointer---.   But you can build a good one if you know a little about building things with wood.

Joe

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »
Just don't underbuild and you will be fine.  I've seen a wide variety of wooden stands, some last a year, some a dozen.  Just like any stand, check them every time you use them.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2011, 06:31:00 PM »
I still have an old Baker stand out in the shed.  Talk about an adventure!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Catskill Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »
I have to disagree with the guys that say bucks shy away from permanent stands.  The stands to them as they frequent an area  are always there and become part of the landscape.  I shot the biggest deer in 30+ years of hunting from a stand I built 25 years ago.  I have shot many nice bucks from this stand and don't see a reason for this to change.

AS was stated before, the only dangerous stands are built by someone who is not skilled enough to attempt it.  

My fall 20+ years ago was due to this reason.  Since then I did my own mods on the same tree and hunt safely year after year.  I even bring my 12 year old daughter with me in the same stand.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »
I remember the "Baker Slide"...!!!!!  :scared:

One of the reasons I quit using treestands... But, that's a whole 'nother thread!!!!!    :rolleyes:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2011, 10:42:00 AM »
Swamp Yankee and Woodchucker---I just hunted from my old Baker yesterday afternoon---I went up a big pine and stayed up nearly 3 hours--saw several deer but not "Mr. Big" that I have been seeking all season.

To Catskill Longbow--I almost exclusively hunt for big bucks--I find that permanent stands are often patterned by big bucks because no matter how careful one tries to be, one leaves residual scent and a "trail" to and from these stands.  That is just my opinion though and I am glad that you have had better luck than I've had on bucks with them.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
I use to build my own but not any more, dangerous they get very slippery when it snows or they start to get moss on them.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©