3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HITMAN LONGBOWS PASS AROUND  (Read 9954 times)

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HITMAN LONGBOWS PASS AROUND
« Reply #240 on: May 26, 2012, 02:32:00 PM »
Sunday night, before dark, I will video myself with the Hitman One PC.

I have a Great Northren Ghost Recurve (with some customizing for optimum cast and speed) that is 68# at 28" and is blisteringly quick.

I will shoot them side by side. I bet the Hitman can keep up with what is one of the fastest bows on the planet.

Yeehaw!

Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #241 on: May 26, 2012, 07:12:00 PM »
My thoughts on the Hitman Longbow

First I would like to thank Dave for allowing us to have the opportunity to pass this bow around and try it out. Secondly, I would also like to say what a great job Thom did with his review of this bow; so please also take a look at his posts and pictures.
When I received the bow, I had a problem with lose nock fit; therefore I served over the serving with a second layer. If the guys after me have the opposite problem, the second layer will be easy to remove. I also replaced the shelf rug and strike plate with new Velcro. After that I added some string silencers to the new string that Thom built for this bow. I also tied in double nocking points at ½ inch above center.  I found the bow liked a brace height of 7 5/8 inches with my setup. While I tried a lot of arrows, both carbon and aluminum; I found that this bow liked both a 2016 and a 2114 aluminum with a 175 grain point. Also, I shoot the bow three under or Apache grip.

Craftsmanship
Without question this bow features some great craftsmanship, it is evident from the way the limbs fit the riser and the quality of the limb tips as well as the glass work. The limb veneers are also flawless when it comes to their layup and finish. While I would personally prefer exotic wood in the riser, the diamond wood that this is built out of, is nicely done. The riser does show some marks and wear, however you must remember that this bow has been around the world and back.

Grip
Most of the time people will tell you that the grip of a bow is the most important thing about how a bow feels to an individual; and I would agree that the grip of a bow is very important. While there has been many, many comments about this bow Grip,both good and bad; I would like to say a few things before I comment on my personal thoughts about the grip. What makes a grip a “good grip”? For me I think that a grip that produces repeatable hand position is at the top of that list. That must be followed by a grip feeling comfortable in an individual’s hand.  This is the tricky part, because we all have different sizes and shapes when it comes to our hands.
In my opinion, while this bow does not have a grip that I would call my favorite, I would still say that the Hitman’s grip is a good, if not a very good grip. This grip produces very repeatable hand position from shot to shot. That repeatability is paramount for accuracy. Also, the more I shot the bow, the more the grip became comfortable in my hand and an extension of my arm. Furthermore, if the front finger grove is a deal breaker for you, I am sure it is easy for Dave to remove it.

Limbs
This bow has 62 inch limbs and they have a fair amount of sweep in the line of the limb. My first impression was that the limbs were way too whippy or flexible when strung to be very fast. Boy was I wrong, this is a very fast and hard shooting bow.

Riser
The riser is well built as I have already stated; however, it is a little on the bulky side for my taste. But as you guys know that is a subjective thing.  I also thought that the sight window was extremely small, while this did not affect me as an instinctive shooter, it may be an issue for a point of aim guy.

Draw
The draw of this bow is smooth, very smooth. While this bow is a 53 pound bow, it feels at least 3 pounds light because of the silky draw. There was not stack or rough spots all the out as far as I could draw the bow.

Vibration/Noise
I can sum it up by saying that the bow is void of a thump or noticeable vibration. This bow is also very quiet.

Performance
This bow is a rocket launcher! While my chrono has a blown bulb, I can say without hesitation that this bow is faster than the average longbow. I have shot and tested enough bows to know, so trust me on this.

Conclusion  
While my preference is a shorter and slimmer profile bow, I found this Hitman to be a very nice and easy to shoot bow. I think that Dave builds a good bow at a fair price. If you are in the market for a takedown longbow, you owe it to yourself to at least give a Hitman a long look.

Once again I would like to say thanks for the opportunity to try the bow! If anyone has any questions feel free to shoot me a PM.
Charlie Goodman
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #242 on: May 27, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »
Hitman - One Piece 60” 66# at 28” - Review

After I shot and reviewed Dave’s Hitman Recurve Pass Around, Dave sent me this bow to try.

First Video:

Here is the 60’ 66# at 28” Hitman One PC by Dave at Hitman Archery

Second Video:

Here are the Side by Side shooters: Hitman and Great Northern Ghost

Third Video:

Here is the Side by Side “Shooting” of the 2 bows: Hitman and Great Northern Ghost

(Turn up the volume on this one if you want to hear my mindless chatter)

Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Offline HMlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #243 on: May 27, 2012, 04:33:00 PM »
Matt
I have to say that it was impressive to compare to the recurve and see that they both have a flat cast.  I am really impressed with the great northern and the speed.  That bow of mine is a speed deamon and I have always compared it to the likes of the more expensive bows but my name is just getting out there.  I should send you a "D" style bow of mine and see what you think as well.  Not quite as fast but still a good shooter.
Thanks for the video review and a another great post.
Dave

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #244 on: May 27, 2012, 07:23:00 PM »
Dave,

Love to see the D shaped bow. I am a Jack B Harrison man and would shoot them side by side.

Got a Heavy D Shape laying around?

Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #245 on: May 27, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »
Dave,

What do you call your:

3 PC recurve?

One PC Longbow?

D Shaped Bow?

Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Offline HMlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #246 on: May 27, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
Actually the bow you shot in the 3 piece is my Pronghorn series as well as the one piece that you are shooting now.  The same limb design.  The one piece "D" style is my raghorn series.  I don't have anything right now but in the near future as something might happen.  I will keep you in touch with that as it is bound to happen with carbon bows.
Dave

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #247 on: May 28, 2012, 11:38:00 PM »
Great review Charlie! I was surprised by how flexible those limbs felt without a load on them and by how hard they hit when launching an arrow too!

Sorry that center serving came up too small, thanks for fixing it up. I made a new sting today and I still can't find my .024, guess I have an order to make tomorrow. You may want to give the original string a try too if you haven't already. Should be rubber-banded to the left handed riser.

So Matt, you liked the short, "light", R/D HLC longbow so much you want one in a long, heavy, D?    :laughing:  

Dave, if there were ever a heavy Raghorn pass-around and you were looking for volunteers...
Thom

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #248 on: May 30, 2012, 12:19:00 AM »
I shipped it on to the next in line today.

Thom, I thought you did a fine job on the string. Have you been building them long?

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #249 on: May 30, 2012, 08:32:00 AM »
Thanks Charlie. I guess it hasn't even been a year yet. Most of the early ones were just OK (or worse...) then for New Years one of my resolutions was to learn how to make a great string. I think I've about got it down now    :goldtooth:  

Of course a bunch of credit has to go to Chad, Josh, and Pierre since they gave pointers and inspiration along the way. TGers have an incredible depth of knowledge and someone here will teach you just about anything about archery or hunting if you sincerely want to learn. What a great community! Loading counter-twists between making the loops, and building/using a string stretcher were the two biggest a-ha moments.

Back on subject, are there really just two guys left in the passaround?
Thom

Offline HMlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #250 on: May 30, 2012, 04:17:00 PM »
I do believe so and can't wait to hear from them.  Charlie what did you think overall about the bow and how it shot?
Dave

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #251 on: June 01, 2012, 02:00:00 PM »
got the bow, first impressions, im not giving it back lol.  grips awsome, draw awsome, no shock at all and my first 3 arrows touching at 10 yds.  Bow is beautiful and would look great next to the hunter bow  :)    need to tune it still since my arrows are weak but so far im loving it
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #252 on: June 01, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
thought I would post a pic next to the hunter bow. I shot both for a little when I got home.  Weight wise both feels about the same to me, draw I will give to the hitman, it is slightly easier probably due to the length difference (58 to 62), weight wise the hunter is 47# at my 26" draw and the hitman 53 at 28 so about the same weight as the hunter with my draw lenght.  Both are very close to the same speed it seems wish I had a chronograph to know for sure, I really really love both style grips so its  adraw there, I do hold better groups with the hunter but I also have been shooting that bow for almost a year and its tuned better for me.  the hitmans limbs really have some curve to them, very recurve like look which I love, the hunter bow looks more longbow like.   Shock wise the hitman just doesnt have any, where my hunter does have some (hitmans has cat whiskers and a flem string and my hunter doesnt have string silencers and uses endless loop.  The hitman seems to like a stiff arrow, im using my full length gt trads with the regular inserts and a 100gr tip and they still impact right of where im aiming, going to cut 2 arrows down a little and try getting it tuned better for me.  Over all you can not go wrong with either and I would gladly own a hitman. going to hurt sending it to the next guy  :(     Wish I had a string so I can compare it to my omega longbow, That bow has some curved limbs as well and is 62", comparing them would be better, I know the omega will be faster (50@ 26") and that sucker really throws a arrow fast.  

Offline JohnGorden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #253 on: June 02, 2012, 03:42:00 PM »
Beautiful looking bows.  Any time you need someone to test I would be more than happy.  I am also looking to build a bow for myself.  nothing to amazing just looking for a good hobby and advise would be greatly appretiated thank you

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #254 on: June 04, 2012, 02:31:00 AM »
I have to say the more I shoo tthis bow the more I love it. its just so nice feeling from start to finish and its really stacking arrows at 15yds (all te room in my basement, its been raining and extremely windy since I got the bow). Cant wait to get out and shoot it out to 30 yds.  Going to miss it when I send it away

Offline HMlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #255 on: June 05, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »
Glad you had a chance to put the bow to the test and have come to enjoy it.  Always look forward to seeing everyone's review.
Thanks and good shooting,
Dave

Offline HMlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #256 on: June 10, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »
Has anyone heard from the last guy to recieve the bow and any feedback?
Thanks and good shooting,
Dave

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #257 on: June 10, 2012, 07:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by hitmanlongbows:
 Charlie what did you think overall about the bow and how it shot?
Dave
Dave,
look at my review on the 17th page of this thread.

Offline HMlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #258 on: June 11, 2012, 06:04:00 PM »
I guess I should look before I ask next time. Glad to see your enjoying the bow.  Everyone will have to check out the in stock bows under gallery on home page:  hitmanlongbows.com

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #259 on: June 11, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »
sent the bow out a few days ago, next joekeith should have it anyday now

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©