3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Perseverence and a gift from above  (Read 454 times)

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
Perseverence and a gift from above
« on: November 10, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »
This might seem a bit "all over the map", and I guarantee it will be a long story, so thanks in advance for bearing with me. I am writing this more for my own therapy than anything because I have been having a VERY crappy season. I took my first recurve deer, a doe, 4 years ago. 2 years ago I dedicated myself to strictly hunting with a recurve for bow season in search of my second recurve deer hoping for a buck, and have been riding the roller coaster ever since. My season so far has been a series of challenges and struggles. My freezer is empty, and not even plugged in.

I got an opportunity to hunt some private land out in southeast Ohio with free accommodations, so I took my vacation starting this past Saturday. I hunted Saturday morning at a farm (we will call it "Jason's" from here on out) in Howard county (MD). I've been hunting this place for years. Sat until about 11:00AM. Probably could have shot a doe or two, but with the rut kicking in hard here and me leaving for Ohio early Monday AM, I let them walk.

Packed on Sunday and loaded the truck. At 4:45AM on Monday was on the road to Ohio. Drove out to pick up an old friend who lives 2 hours away, which is on the way, and we loaded up in his truck up for the additional 4 1/2 hour trip to Morgan county Ohio.

Here is where I will not bore you with details. Bottom line is, we walked about every inch of the 70+ acres we had available and saw ZERO sign. ZERO! 2 old dried up fawn tracks and that was it. SQUAT! No droppings, NO rubs, NO scrapes, NOTHING! At 3:00PM Monday afternoon, I opened an adult beverage and we decided to roll back home on Tuesday morning since the Maryland rut was beginning to be on fire. What a complete disappointment.

Tuesday we were on the road, and after I get home I get ready to hunt Jason's Wednesday and for the rest of my vacation.

Wednesday, in my stand at Jason's. Action right off the bat. My Black Widow TFB at the ready. Deer everywhere. Watch a small six come in, work on a scrape, work his way over to the other side of a tree about 6 yards in front of me and start to make a scrape there. Branches in the way. I am twisted hard to my right, but I see a window I can squeeze one through (you guys know..."that window"...the window of "I can make that"...). I draw, note the branches, and watched the penetration of that Bear razorhead as it buried itself right into the ground after flying right over his back. Clean miss. I just shake my head. No more shot opportunities the rest of the day. Plenty of deer and they wanted to use the corner I was in, but the wind was wrong and kept them distanced.

Today (Thursday), I get up, ready to hit that stand again but it was supposed to rain. Normally I would not hunt in the rain, but during the rut, all bets are off. No rain when I get up, and forecast says "may rain later today" and  the Widow launches itself into my hand and says "Lets go!".

Real foggy out, calm and peaceful. It would slowly lift as the morning progressed. Just a few minutes after dawn, I hear grunting in the fog in front of me. Again...again....more....more...closer. I have never been more ready. We have several nice bucks on camera, and more frequently lately. I am watching 4 active scrapes, 2 of them in my shot windows. Barely making out a shape in the fog, I see the source of the grunts. Can't tell which one he is, but I am guessing he is going to work his way downwind of his handy work to check them out. The one directly in front of me that I left my "mark" in yesterday, has been freshened up overnight. He comes across a well worn trail, turns away from me, and goes out of sight. I reach around for my grunt call, hit it a few times, and put it away.

Nothing.

After a few minutes, I figure he is gone, and settle back in to relax. What a peaceful morning. A few minutes after that, I hear another grunt. Look to my left, and here he comes. Out of the fog, I can clearly see that this a the skinny tall racked 8 point that I have seen, and is by no means camera shy. He comes in to my left, just out of range. He stops, checks the wind for what seems forever, stares me down and I figure I'm busted. Dang! I didn't move a muscle. Then he eases up, and walks into the woodline behind me. He has a little tiny spiker following him around, and that little sucker gives me a clear shot for about 5 minutes. No way I'm dropping the string on that doinker while the 8 is around. I laughed.

I ease my head around and locate the 8 by of all things, his eye patches. Good, he is still there. Guessing he might come in to his scrape right underneath me. That would be perfect, because if he did that and checked his scrape, it'd be "money". The little spiker starts to move back out and now I figure that little sucker has winded me. Then I see that it is the 8 coming back out and pushing him. He gets to the field edge, and low and behold, turns to walk right into my shooting window. Blessed be! I am finally gonna' pull this off after years of trying to get a nice one here with my recurve. He stops broadside at 20 yards! I already have the Widow drawn and anchored. Just as I release, he spins and the arrow hits him with a loud "CRACK"....RIGHT IN THE AR$E!

Well...let me tell you...I made up some new profanity right then and there. I almost threw my bow against the tall cedar in front of me (its a Widow, it probably would have taken it). I stared in disbelief as it looked like this buck would be sporting a nicely decorated footed cedar around in his bum for the holidays.

I watched him go to the top of the hill and into the fog. I could still see the little deer around, and I was trying to make out what I thought was the figure of the 8 pointer. It almost looked like he was standing there and was hunching, or was it my mind playing tricks on me in the fog?

I sat there. Completely dejected. Wondering why I even do this. I literally looked up to the sky and prayed that I hit the femoral artery in this train wreck of slow motion events.

I text Rich (Droptine59) what is happening, and we send a few back and forth. He gives good advice as usual, and I wasn't planning on going anywhere. I just decide to sit in stand and enjoy the rest of the morning. Not sure if maybe I caught an artery or not, or got penetration into the guts, who knows?

About an hour later, I see the spiker coming up the hill, headed to the last spot I saw this buck. Hmmmmm...wonder if he bedded down? The fog is still lifting and not totally cleared and the spike spent a good 10 minutes there, and now I am beginning to wonder if maybe I did hit an artery and he laid down and died there?

Another buck comes in in front of me, and the spiker goes over to check him out. As the spike walks over, I see my 8 point get up out of the middle of the field, and start making his way down into the woods and enter it about 100 yards to my left. He is moving slow, and hobbling REALLY bad. Definitely looks like I may have broken that right rear leg. He was not using it on his exit when I hit him, so this may confirm. I settle back in and sit.

A few minutes after he enters the wood line and I lose sight of him, I hear a hawk screaming, coming from the direction he went. I watch as the hawk flies over, high and to the west. I lose it behind the tree canopy in front of me, and never see it again. I hoped maybe that hawk carried his spirit away.

I wait another 40 minutes. I get down to move out, and want to find first blood. I go to where I believe I hit him (everything looks different from the ground in a field of grass with no distinguishable landmarks). I piddle around, and I actually find my arrow. Dang? I thought he took it with him. An experience all too familiar with me. About 5 or 6 inches of penetration, a bent razorhead, and some spatter on the shaft and fletchings. I can make out a pretty good trail and start to follow. I want to see where he bedded down. I find it, and it is covered with blood, as is the last 10 yards leading up to it. I start to look for blood from when he got up and I find a couple spots. May have clotted up already, I don't know. I think I see him bedded down inside the woods, so I back out.

I'll go back later with some binoculars, and hope it doesn't rain.

I'll keep you posted.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Perseverence and a gift from above
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »
Good luck Bro, keep us posted.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Mike Mongelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »
Good luck!

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »
I get home, brain in overdrive. I send the following email to Rich:

"So...I found the arrow about 10 yards beyond the hit. Looks like maybe 5-6" of penetration, bright red and feels fatty. Blood spatter is on the rest of the shaft up to the fletchings (not much, but some spatter). The initial blood trail from there looked promising for about 15 yards, then I lost it, but think I only got sidetracked because I found up another 20 yards, and then found where he bedded on top of the hill about 60 or so yards from where I hit him.

Where he bedded there was about 1 foot wide by about 2 1/2 feet long pool of blood in the grass in the shape of a lazy "L" and a solid 10-15 yard path of blood leading up to it. I looked in the direction I saw him get up and limp away, and found a few spots of blood. I then looked down into the bottom and I am pretty sure I saw him bedded down about 15 yards inside the wood line.

He did not spook (if that was him, no binos with me). I backed out. The broadhead is bent in a curve and he was limping REALLY bad, not using his right leg. I think I may have broken that bone. I really don't feel like it was a fatal shot, but there sure was a lot of blood where he bedded, and he sure looked hurt and slow when he moved.

I'll go back around 2:00 and see what I can find. I don't want to push it, I'd really like to give him 24 hours, but I am worried about the rain coming in and any possible blood I may be able to find inside that field edge."

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »
Keep after it Jim. To bad about Ohio I saw your post and could tell you were fired up about it.

doug77

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
So about 1:00PM, it had been raining for a while. I was going out of my mind playing the scenarios and possible outcomes. I decided to go look, and while I'm at it change the chips on the cameras, 2 of which are located around the area I believe the buck is. Figured if it was a non lethal hit or I bumped him, maybe I'll get a shot on the cameras if he goes by them.

I throw some gas in the Suburban, and head out. The rain is continuing and steady. Load the 4 wheeler with my Widow, some essentials, and my BINOCULARS. My plan is to go to where he bedded initially, and go from there. I leave the 4 wheeler by my stand, grab my binos and head up to the top of the hill. This hill is a little knoll surrounded like an open horseshoe by hedgerows and wooded areas. I am standing by the spot he initially bedded, still covered after the rain in blood. I move on and I pick up a spot here and there as I ease down into the wooded bottom, zig zagging as I go, to look for blood, and stopping every two steps to glass.

Having played back the scenario all day, I was actually beginning to believe that I might just pull this off. After sneaking and glassing for about 20 minutes, I was on the roller coaster again. I was in agony, mind flip flopping and trying to grab a sense of focus. It was then that I spotted a small spot of white inside the field edge that caught my attention. I threw the binos up and BAM! Belly! I followed the contours as best as I could with the binos and eventually made out a head and an antler. Gotta' be him! Head is on the ground. I back off quickly but quietly, back to the 4 wheeler.

I take off my rain gear and camo up in my Raven Wear mid layer, don the camo floppy hat and facemask, put my shooting glove on and grab the Widow and binos. I sneak along the field edge from my stand, following a worn deer trail in the tall grass has me quiet and blending in with the background as I walk the inside of the horseshoe. I take a few steps and glass, take a few steps and glass. I get around to where I can make out the belly again and start to get serious.

I nock an arrow and in a crouched position begin my advance. I have no idea if he is alive or has expired, but I am betting on some quick action as I get closer. Every couple steps I take my fingers off the string and take a look through the binos. I finally get up to a clearer view of him. I am looking through the binos. Is he still breathing? I can't tell. Every now and then it appears as if he is taking quick shallow breaths, but my heart is pounding so hard, it may just be me. I stare at him through them for about 5 minutes. He is not moving. Once it looked like he closed and opened his eyes. My brain has to be playing tricks on me I think.

Okay, I've had enough of this. Its now or never. My adrenaline gates are unleashed. Still not knowing if he has any spunk left in him, I devise a route to get a shot on him. I enter an open spot in the edge and make my way towards him. The rain has my footfalls silent. About ten yards out now...have to clear these briars. I clear and in one motion I stand tall and draw and "thump", send another one into the boiler room.

I stand there for a second...and then chuckle at myself. I have to tell you, I am AWESOME at stalking deer that are already dead. He was dead as a hammer. I go up to him do the check the eyeball thing, and reach down to see him. Stiff as a board, and indeed hit something that made him bleed out of that back ham. If anyone had watched this from a distance, it would have been classically entertaining, but to me it was one of the most intense hunting experiences I have ever had.

I look up to the sky, and say a prayer of thanks. Place a small sprig of greenery in his mouth, and thank him as well. It was a very solemn moment for me. A flood of emotion hit me as I kneeled by him and realized that I had finally achieved my goal of taking a buck with a recurve. It wasn't pretty, but I did it.

Those of you who know me, know I don't speak of faith or spirituality openly all that much. But today, God answered every one of my prayers. I give complete credit to Him. This was truly a gift to me.

Thank you for bearing with me.

Oh yeah...had we stayed in Ohio, I would have been on the road instead of having this happen for me.

Offline pacopperhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
awesome very nice buck for your first    :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »
Beautiful deer sir!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 08:52:00 PM »
Nice one!  Good job.    :clapper:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 08:53:00 PM »
Good follow up and recovery.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
very good story,  :thumbsup:  and congratts!

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 09:09:00 PM »
Congrats Jim. He's a well deserved buck.

doug77

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 09:09:00 PM »
Congradulations. Hap

Offline see

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »
that buck taught you more about hunting than you'll most likely ever learn.
see

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »
Oh Yea, Great story, Great buck and Great God!!!!!
Its so neat to hear you give him credit..

God bless you, Steve

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 10:55:00 PM »
Great story and a wonderful gift  :)

:campfire:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 12:26:00 AM »
Congrats!!!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 12:28:00 AM »
Glad this all turned out well for you. Oh, nice deer also.

Offline scedvm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 12:53:00 AM »
Great story, thanks.

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 02:55:00 AM »
it's just great !
save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Users currently browsing this topic: