3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Aoudad scouting trip  (Read 186 times)

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
Aoudad scouting trip
« on: November 10, 2011, 08:35:00 PM »
Went out scouting for aoudad (Barbary sheep) last weekend. Not many around here but there are a few so it was worth checking out. These are pictures of old volcanic cones that they hang out on. the first is Cerro Cuate which is around 900 feet to the top. The second is Cerro de Santa Clara which is around 800 feet tall. The 3rd is Cerro de Guadalupe which is also around 800 feet tall. Rough country for sure. Water is a major issue out here so finding water in the Rio Puerco and/or cattle tanks is a major focal point. Did see 6 mule deer does but no aoudad but it was a fun trip just to be out scouting. I talked to my supervisor and his son got an aoudad off of Cerro de Guadalupe on Friday. Looks like there are some out there now it's just finding them as they blend so well.

But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Aoudad scouting trip
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
That's some tough looking country. How many sheep are suppose to inhabit that area? Did your boss's son get one with a bow?
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
Not many sheep and he got it with a rifle or a muzzelloader I believe.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline Vig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 12:28:00 AM »
Beautiful country for sure!  I moved out here to New Mexico this summer and am looking forward to getting out in the desert with my longbow in hand....  BenBow I'm in Albuquerque if you ever need a spare set of eyes looking for those sheep.

-Vig
-----------
The worst day shooting is better than the best day at work.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 06:28:00 AM »
Different hunting than I;m used to. Real exciting especially after Aoudads. Thanks for pix. Good luck.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 06:55:00 AM »
One of the hunts I'm looking at doing real soon, same goes for Ibex!

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 09:33:00 AM »
Vig if I can get some kind of normalcy in my life with this cancer crap I'll get in touch with you and we can go for a ride.
gehrke145 I'm wanting to do a hunt for Ibex too but they're mostly down in the southern part of the state. More Aoudad down there too.

Online The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 02:24:00 PM »
Just curious, are the ibex and aoudad feral animals or does the state look at em as game animals?  I recently found out that there's ibex in the Rockies too.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 02:55:00 PM »
Looks like a cool hunt. Great looking area.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 03:57:00 PM »
They are considered game animals here

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©