3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: clothes for cold and wind  (Read 575 times)

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
clothes for cold and wind
« on: November 11, 2011, 08:13:00 AM »
For those of you who hunted the midwest yesterday it was cold and windy.I layered well and was warm until I decided to move on to a ridge.first time i ever left a stand early because i was cold from the wind slicing threw me.any suggestions on a good outer layer for blocking the wind.....
i like biscuits

Offline RobinHood1389

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: clothes for cold and wind
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 08:15:00 AM »
abell wool is warmer than can be!
1970 Grizzly 56" 50#
Bear B mag 53#

>>>>---Kyle---->

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 08:28:00 AM »
Asbell wool is warm, but doesn't block wind. I wear a t shirt and then either a wool or flannel shirt under an Asbell outer layer, with long johns and wool pants. If it is really cold, 10 or less, I have some Muckboots that keep the toes toasty, and various wool hats top me off. I use the chemical warming packets, and they work great.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 08:47:00 AM »
Depending on how windy and cold i am i use a down vest or a cabelaswool sweater with windstopper in it. I've also used my peter storm raingear jacket if it is really windy to block the wind.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 09:00:00 AM »
Wool is awesome but it dosent stop wind. Wind liner is a must on cold and windy days. I have the Cabelas wooltimate with windshear and it does an excellant job of stoping wind. I would say any kind of wind liner would work.

Good hunting, Jason

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »
Winstopper, windstopper windstopper. What a difference when you stop that razor wind in how much longer you can stay.
David M. Conroy

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »
heater body suit, I have two and they offer the windstopper I believe. The wind really blows here in the mountains, sometimes moving my trees 1.5 to 2 ft and I have no problems. If it gust over 40, I just get down because the deer do not seem to move or I go to ground.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »
Water proof jacket for me when its really windy. I got one thats not too heavy and a size bigger than I need. Makes too much noise on a calm cold day but when it's windy that doesn't matter much.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »
The cold, damp & windy hunting seasons of New England have been brutal the last couple of years or at least to these old bones. I started useing Cabelas Wooltimate jacket & pants with wind shear liner with good results. I usually start with good merino wool or fleece base, several shirts & sweater and a down vest with the Wooltimate outer layers while on stand in the worst weather.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 03:12:00 PM »
I have several options I use. Packable rain gear under my outer layer works well. For the stuff we've been gettin the past few days i wear my cabelas wool bibs with the windstop liner. But man do i getcwarm walkin in to my stands with those on. For run of the mill cool days i wear the unlined wool bibs.
I also have a fleece windstop lined vest that is my favorite. Its a rare day i dont wear that along with my woolsweater and First Life merino wool base layers. For my feet if its cold electric socks. They work awesome to keep my toes toasty.

I also have a fleece hoodie w/ windstop liner. Its a bit bulky but nice on cold mornings. Im a big fan of cabelas outfitter series wool and fleece.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »
I,too, wear a light fleece vest with Windblocker lining under my wool outer clothing. It is not bulky and does an amazing job cutting the wind. The wool supplies the insulation.

Online toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
I hunted the other day too in central illinois, when the wind cut to the bone.  I went out with my wool power longjohns, then underarmour, then cotton pants.  Upper, was polypro top, laclair shirt, with dayone asat wool top.  Legs got cold, but I carry an old mossy oak nylon pants and put them on and warmed back up.  I know the nylon is noisy, cut on ground would rather be still and get a shot then freeze.

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »
There's some great wool on the classifieds.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »
I use Cabelas Legacy Fleece with windstopper.. It is very inexpensive and I am finally warm in all but very wet conditions. Never even got a hint of being cold last year. It's not bulky either. It's bowhunter quiet. Couldnt ask for more.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
cabelas wool with windstopper for me...needed it today...trees were coming down in that wind today..

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 07:07:00 PM »
I like my goxf rain gear, but any light weight Gore Tex rain suit will work. Mine has a hood in the collar. Tight knit, reasonably quiet, especially under your camo. Ski masks, or a face mask, gloves, and if you need it, heat pads for the gloves, feet and lower back are available.
Sometimes you'll find this stuff on sale, below what might find in some stores. Check online.

I don't buy the windstopper products, as they are too warm in other conditions. Prefer to layer, with light weight, non-bulky clothers if possible. My rain suit will fold up real small, until needed. Weight in the ounces.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »
I love wool, it just does not stop the wind sitting in stand. I have a cabelas windshear trek sweater that i wear under my sleeping indian  wool highline shirt, works great in wind. My most valuable piece of clothing is my SI vest. It keeps my core warm. Add a neck gaitor and Im set. I also have a Heater body suit that works wonders, I wear that late season.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2011, 03:54:00 AM »
sold me on the vest DD...I've been contemplating one for awhile...was looking at the asbell gear.  

I have some hidden wolf woolens from years back...good stuff but like all other wool doesnt stop the wind.   early season rain gear doubles as wind blocker,  late season, dress in layers is the best I've done.  I have one jacket I purchased for this hunt I am leaving on tonight with windblocker on the upper, its a full jacket, not quite what I wanted but it will suffice.

Dress in layers, wool and fleece.  I like using both, usually wool undies, fleece middle and wool outside for late season.   Learn what comfortably cool is (to keep from over perspiring), and dont be afraid to change socks when you're feet are cold....or adding an extra hat, hood, or layer when you start getting the shakes.  

Warm fluids helps too if you can carry them...this is the first year I've tried it, warm mango peach crystal light....yummy!  And beef boulion cubes in warm water is a dang fine soup to drink also...helps warm the core from the inside!

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2011, 05:44:00 AM »
I have a Gray Wolf wool jacket lined, it's awesome.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Fisherking73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2011, 06:54:00 AM »
Great info. It was blowing cold here the other day. Was a hard decision to grab the sweater or long sleeve t-shirt LOL But then again it was our coldest day of the year so far, I think it went as low as 62 degrees lol Feel for you guys up north, but you have way nicer deer!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©