3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Late Blacktail hunt here in Oregon  (Read 838 times)

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Late Blacktail hunt here in Oregon
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2011, 11:25:00 AM »
Hi Paul,
  I remember when you were in Corvallis and then moved south. We were east of you. Maybe the rut kits in at lower elevations...? We were at 4,000ft and higher.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2011, 08:01:00 PM »
Hey David, have fun. Any day hunting is all good. Great looking camp.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
Snag , I hunted for years in a spot that looked just like that near Howard Prairie Off of Buck Prairie rd called Cottonwood Glades. At one time it was literally crawling with great bucks. There has been a tremendous couger kill here in Southern Oregon though in the last 15 years.  At one time I could easily count 100 or more legal bucks and probably 20 or so big 4 points there. Now you are lucky to see one. I am talking about just driving around. Not getting out and walking. It sure is pretty and that adds a lot.

God bless, Steve

Offline Kid's Pastor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2011, 10:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by snag:
Hi Paul,
  I remember when you were in Corvallis and then moved south. We were east of you. Maybe the rut kits in at lower elevations...? We were at 4,000ft and higher.
Dave,

He was up around Prospect, but I do not know what the elevation he was at when he rattled that one in.
Like Steve said in the post above me the deer numbers are down from what they once were. I do know some areas around here, but Steve (a.k.a sixby) is the man in the know.
If you head to the Corvallis area let me know I have some sweet areas I can let you know about heading down     :bigsmyl:    

Thanks again for the update and I plan on ordering some arrows from you once Steve finishes my bow.

God bless and Happy Thanksgiving,
Paul

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2011, 12:48:00 AM »
That looks nice David.

I got a bit of a late start on my scouting this year as I moved and don't know the area real well just yet. I have a few deer on camera but they are nocturnal photos.

There is no shortage of rubs and deer sign but they don't seem to be moving a whole lot in my area just yet.

I did have a couple busting through the reprod just out side of the timber that I was sitting on a stand, but I am thinking they were bumped or it was a buck chasing a doe. No visual, so I don't know.

I put 4 cameras in a new spot yesterday and will put 2 more cams out in the next couple of days. I am really waiting for the cold, cold weather. In my experience over the last 5 years hunting the late season, they start moving the best after four or five days of freezing weather.

The first and second week in December, I plan on having a few spots dialed and just sitting tree stands. It's gonna be cold, but the deer should be on their feet and looking for food.

Good luck to all you guys.

Paul
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »
Steve, that was what I was afraid of when we didn't see much sign the first day. I really was hoping that it would be better than my usual hunting grounds up in the Willamette Valley. The cats have taken a mighty toll on the deer up here. I think all the deer that are left have gone down onto private ground to try and escape the cats.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline wildwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2011, 03:23:00 AM »
any more reports from the late season up there in oregon?
delivered by grace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
This fork was in at 5:26 and I left that evening at 4:45:

This is the "I should have sat all day buck" I got back in stand around 2:00 so I probably bumped this guy from under my stand on the way in:

Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline Stump_pounder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2011, 03:33:00 PM »
Yea this time of year its a all day sit. LOL You'll get him if ya keep after it.   :pray:
Wes wallace recurve 58#@29
Bear Kodiak static recurve 70#@28
PBS member

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2011, 01:45:00 AM »
I had a doe and her this years fawn in tonight at 3:45, so they are starting to move a little earlier and they were in at 7:50 a.m. as well.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2011, 03:35:00 AM »
I blew an opportunity yesterday on my evening hunt.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2011, 01:13:00 AM »
I blew another opportunity on the little buck pictured above this evening. I have named him Chance. Chance came in and actually startled me. I was breathing through my nose and when startled I kind of snorted and it made him real nervous. He left about a minute later.  :banghead:  

It was a fun hunt tonight and I am just tickled to be having action and opportunity. This year is shaping up to be a good one.

I just need one more chance at Chance.  :pray:

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2011, 02:07:00 AM »
what are you sitting on there Paul, is it a well used trail- or a natural funnel or some prefferred food source- curious- and just trying to glean as much info to help me with these alaskan blacktails up here on the charlottes
wayne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2011, 02:23:00 AM »
Fujimo,

I am set up in a tree stand on the very edge of a patch of reprod where the timber meets the reprod. The deer basically live in this reprod patch. It has food and thermal cover.

I set out a bunch of apples starting about a week before the season.

Blacktails DO NOT typically use the same trails and bedding areas on a daily basis in this area anyway, so it takes the deer awhile to find the apples.

Once the deer find the apples and accept apples as a food source, you can start to at least get a bit of a feed pattern established.

Good luck,

Paul

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »
yup, same problem here. real hard to pattern them- thick bush. one has to do tons of bushwacking to find secret little meadows- then the trails leading to them , then i set up ambushes on the trails.
are apples the no.1 preferred " alternate" food source for your deer down there. do folk down there use grain etc.
 we cant bait up here- but am really curious.
 sorry mate, what do you call "reprod"
thanks
wayne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2011, 02:34:00 PM »
Fujimo, reprod is short for reproduction of trees. Reprod is the trees that were re-planted after a clear cut.

Apples are best. Some guys have success using alfalfa.

Corn is a no no as the BLACKTAIL deer cannot digest it and it can actually kill them. That is according to actual scientific data. I just use apples.

Are you sure you can't bait deer? They bait deer in Eastern Canada. I know you can't bait bears.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2011, 03:17:00 PM »
I did a few searches and from what I found it is LEGAL to bait in BC for deer, elk, moose.

Offline blacktailchaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »
hey paul,i wish you could have gotten your hands on that forked horn...john

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2011, 09:52:00 PM »
well, thanks so much for the info- geuss i just made the hasty, and faulty assumption when i was reading about baiting- that it was just baiting in general- i need to reread that section of the regs again.
thanks for the clarification on the abbreviation.

interresting info on the corn and the blacktail- i wonder why just the blacktail, and not the mulies and other dear- i know on the deer farms with all the different species, they feed corn- would love to hear more.
 thanks so much
wayne

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
Goog luck!
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©