3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longer than necessary arrows?  (Read 361 times)

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
Longer than necessary arrows?
« on: November 11, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
Thoughts, pro's and con's??

I just committed blasphemy and bought some carbons for 2.50 a piece from wally world. At 31 inches they shoot great but my draw is a tick under 28 inches. Go with it?  :wavey:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longer than necessary arrows?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
Definitely go with it. The length of your arrow matters not as long as it's long enough and of the correct spine.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
shorter gap...
i like biscuits

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 06:56:00 PM »
I remember years ago, hearing that the longer your arrow, the more stable in flight. Not sure about how true it is.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »
The only issue I have with much longer than necessary arrows is that they can possibly cause some clearance concerns in some blinds.

I do not wish to be concerned with any additional possible interferance when the moment of truth arrives.

Note: Have also punched an extra hole or two in my blind with my long BH's that may have been averted with a shorter arrow.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline limbshaker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
I shoot wood, and i shoot em as short as I can. That way I can shoot a lower spine weight (the short length stiffens the shaft) which is usually a little lighter. Then, I can select a tougher wood, I prefer ash, and not have an absurdly heavy arrow. Now... all this is only important to me cause I only pull 44 pounds, and an 800 grain ash arrow is rather uninspiring at that draw weight. But I don't want to give up the toughness of the ash.   :D  But from my experience as long as the arrow is spined right for your setup, short or long, they should fly just as good either way. This is just my perspective on it    :thumbsup:
"Leaves are fallin all around..time I was on my way." -Led Zeppelin

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »
I cut my arrows(wood or cane) to 30" for my 26" draw. I like the extra physical weight and have never had a problem shooting with 3" out past my bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline gonefishing600

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 07:50:00 PM »
Where were they made? There is a very cheaply made carbon shaft out there by the name of Bullseye,  and I’m sure they are made in China,  and they are JUNK. I bought them to do a little stump shooting, and ended up  breaking 5 out of a dozen with in a couple of weeks. I have never broken any of my Goldtips, and only one of my Easton’s. There’s a reason these companies are number one in arrow shaft construction. Sometimes cheap isn’t really cheap in the long run, and it can be dangerous.

What about the nocks and inserts, what if they break, can you buy replacements?

What is the spine or straightness tolerance? If it’s not consistent it could throw your whole aiming structure out of whack trying to adjust to a new shaft. If it's not consistent your POI not going to be consistant.

What are you going to use them for? Would you feel comfortable using them in a State or National competition, against other competitors that where shooting top of the line Goldtips, Eastons, or Bemans?

How much did you pay for your bow? Would it make sense to buy a thousand dollar bow, and shoot the cheapest arrows you could find.

Are you going to be able to purchase these same arrows next year and the year after? You know how Wally world is, one day there in stock and the next they have been discontinued.

Are you fletching them yourself? If you are, that’s a lot of work to be putting into a generic shaft, just to find out you have a pile of junk, or find out later you don’t like a 31” arrow.

I have a 28.5 inch draw, and was playing with a heavier spined shaft then I’m used to, trying to get my point weight up to 300gr and foc, and by the time I was threw I had 30.5” shaft length. After shooting several hundred arrows, and comparing them to a shorter shaft with the lighter tip weight, I was more accurate with the shorter shaft. The norm is ¾ to 2” longer than your draw length and there’s a reason for that.

Been there done that, I will take shafts that are built by cutting edge companies who If I have a question about one of there shafts, I can pick up the phone and call them, or buy replacement parts when I need them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, the arrow is just as important if not more important than the bow, but if your having fun, shoot'em

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
JD Berry Argos 64" 48#&28"
Toelke Classic Whip 64" 46#@28"
Acs one piece 64" 46#@28"
BlackWidow PLX 66" 46#@28"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
If they are longer you don't have to shoot as far.   :bigsmyl:

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
I like arrows 1/2" longer than my draw. Mostly just a cosmetic thing.

The less sticking up out of my back quiver is always a good thing.

I make wood stumper arrows 2" too long so I can break them three times and still have enough to mount a steel blunt to without overdrawing.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
Let em' fly, Arwin!    :archer2:

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »
If they're shooting fine for you, leave them long - carbons get stiff quickly as you cut them.  In other words, don't fix what ain't broke.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
If they are longer you don't have to shoot as far.    :bigsmyl:  
To Funny   :biglaugh:
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 11:00:00 PM »
I have a 30" draw length and I prefer a 32" arrow. Nothing shorter.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 11:04:00 PM »
I usually tune a  bow starting at full length. and cut down until optimum flight is achieved. I really don't look at overhang just flight!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline skydog6653

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 11:42:00 PM »
the only reason i prefer a set arrow length is consistency; when i feel that broadhead on my index finger, bow hand, I know I'm there.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2011, 12:22:00 AM »
Shoot 'em!
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Giovanni

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2011, 01:55:00 AM »
I have a 28 inch draw, and had most of my first arrows cut at 29 inch. I went to Wally world, and bought some Carbon Express aluminum arrows at 31 inch. I went home and shot them at 15 yards and 20 yards, and put them all into a half dollar size group. After I did that I have all my arrows cut to that 31 inch length. Instinctive/gap shooter

Offline justracey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2011, 07:29:00 AM »
My CX 90"s are a liitle longer than I like but they spined out there and fly awesome go with it if they work
Just get outside and blow the stink off!!!

www.stjoeriverbows.com

Offline Lincoln Ribeiro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2011, 08:46:00 AM »
I use to keep my arrows in tune for the bow. My draw length is 28" and I have the same shafts in 29" and 31" for different bows.
``Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.'' [S. Beckett]

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©