3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are You Gonna Hunt With Your Trad Bow During The Non-Bow Season?  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are You Gonna Hunt With Your Trad Bow During The Non-Bow Season?
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »
Took the longbow out today. Only saw squirrels.

I heard many booms in the distance. None close though.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2011, 10:51:00 PM »
Yes, that's the plan. Here, we can hunt on our own property without orange during rifle, if you are an archery hunter. Sure is a lot more fun.
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2011, 08:16:00 AM »
Hunt with what you want and don’t worry about it.  Do whatever makes you happy being out hunting as long as you follow all the rules.

As for me I don't care for gun season all that much anymore.  It just is not the same.  We do eat a lot of venison in a year so I would take them with a gun if I wasn’t getting it done with a bow.  I am getting it done with the bow so no need to gun hunt this year for the sake of meat.  I wouldn’t go out this year in gun season, but my dad is in his late 70’s, and I plan to go out with him. Too many other hunters around to even think about shooting a deer and not having it go down quick.  There would be a good chance of it getting shot again before it fell, or I could end up spooking all the deer off the place to the fence setters trying to find it if it ran a ways into our heavy cover.  Then there is the idea of not being armed when encountering tress passers. Some years I only go out to keep people off the place.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2011, 08:43:00 AM »
Absolutely for me. That is a personal decision though. Hunt however you enjoy it.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2011, 08:56:00 AM »
Take your bow ! I have gun hunted, and every deer I have got with it I could have shot with my bow, furthest shot with a rifle, 35 yds. furthest shot with a bow (wheelie) 27yds. furthest shot with a trad. 29yds. This is why I only go with the trad gear now.

It always tastes better with a bow, it's all in the head.

But if you need the meat, I can fully understand taking the rifle.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
Longbow only for me. Hunting with firearms simply doesen't do it for me.
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »
Not legal to bowhunt during the gun season here in IL, so I'll rake leaves and catch up on things.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
Will have my Cari-Bow with me during gun season here in Oklahoma,only drawback is wearing that darn orange.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »
Nope, can only hunt here within the season you choose a weapon for. I have to choose a weapon and for elk have to choose east or west side of the state...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
I did not know there was a "non-bow" season. I always hunt with my trad bow.

Bisch

Offline JUST-DOO-IT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »
Take the bow!  When the Moose gun season opened I was the only guy at the camp with a bow.  The gun hunters filled the tag within 1/2 hour of opening day.  Now they had a whole week ahead of them with nothing to do.  I roamed the woods all week shooting birds and got to within 15 yards of a nice bull.  Had a blast!!

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2011, 09:08:00 AM »
I'm as much a gun guy as I am a bow guy.   I've always enjoyed hitting the woods with the rifle that my grandfather passed on to me.   My weapon of choice will depend on which stand I end up hunting.
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »
That is complete nonsense that some states don't let you hunt the more primitive weapon during gun season.   :dunno:    I thought all states had the logical rule of the greater includes the lesser - if it's legal to gun hunt, it's legal to pistol, ml, or bowhunt.  Didn't know about this.  Yet another stupid game law like no Sunday hunting.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2011, 09:46:00 AM »
First year that I'll be taking my bow out during gun season. Told my dad and he looked at me like I was nuts!!   :biglaugh:

Offline Smithhammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by LimBender:
That is complete nonsense that some states don't let you hunt the more primitive weapon during gun season.    :thumbsup:

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
Yes, complete nonsense.  THAT's why it was passed into law in Illinois!!!  It is part of our proud tradition as a state run for the benefit and mindset of Chicago at the expense of the rest.  

That is also why we seem to be the ONLY remaining state with "residents who are too dumb" to protect ourselves with Concealed Carry permits.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I thought your assessment caught us spot-on!

PS- I'll be out with my bow and orange vest during the later gun seasons, when it is legal to do so.  Go figure....
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
Nope.

Got my cap'n ball all ready for for tomorrow.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »
I will be.  With an orange vest and hatband, though.  Like Kappemmeister - I blow the dust off the flintlock as well.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Bill Leeming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »
Got my buck with a recurve the first day of gun season. Have not hunted with aa rifle in several years.

Offline Jim Rocole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2011, 11:17:00 AM »
1st yr they are allowing us to hunt with our bows during gun season here in WI. THat being said this coming weekend will be with the rifle at deer camp with family and then some bowhunting on my own land during the week when the weekend warriors are gone. Not sure I would do it on public (especially opening  weekend of gun), WI has a pile of hunters. I generally only p/u the rifle to hunt with the family. cameraderie and all that good stuff. Been out west several times for elk hunting during muzzleloader and always use my bow. Just prefer the intimacy and simplicity of the longbow to the gun.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©