3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: a question for you string makers  (Read 374 times)

Offline superkodiak

• Trad Bowhunter
a question for you string makers
« on: July 13, 2007, 06:48:00 PM »
Hey guys,

I just started to make some flemish strings a couple days ago.  The problem that I am encountering is that I really have to put a bunch of twists in the string to bring my bow to brace height.  I know next time I'll shorten up the string, so I won't have to put as many twists into it.  now to my question, does more twist in the string effect shooting compared to a string with less twist in it.  Thanks guys!

Shawn

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: a question for you string makers
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »
I like Lots of twists in mine!!!

If straight bundles was stronger or more desireable for performance, aircraft cable and the like wouldn't be TWISTED!
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Big Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 07:22:00 PM »
No it doesn't hurt but you could just undo one end and shorten it, if it bothers you. David  :D    :D
Live today like you'll meet God tommorow (you might)

Offline superkodiak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 08:32:00 PM »
that's exactly what I wanted to hear. =)

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »
My understanding is too much twist can affect the shooting - too springy.  Am I (or you) good enough to tell the difference - dont' know.  And of course, what do you call a lot of twist.

Would recommend you put it on the bow, let it sit to stretch and settle in for a day or so at the desired brace height before serving it.  Steve

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 01:04:00 AM »
I prestreatch mine to @240#, so they aren't springy.  LOL!!!  IF the string is not pre-stretched and has excessive twists, it will take a LONG time to settle in and the brace will have to be checked often for a week or so unless the bow is shot quite alot.  After the string settles in you will be fine.
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 05:31:00 AM »
On my selfbows I use a timber hitch on the lower limb so adjusting is easy.Sometimes I add some twists to fine tune the brace.Either way seems to work ok for me.

Offline Minuteman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 08:35:00 AM »
I rewatched the "masters of the barebow" dvd this week and I noticed something about their strings. All the strings that I saw close up were quite twisted, I mean a bunch. Now I didn't see all the bow strings in close enough detail on all the folks bows but some of em were twisted quite a bit.
 I personally think that a twisted string makes a bow quieter. More material there to stretch and dissipate noise causing energy.
There sure is alot of air around a squirrel...eeyup.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 10:42:00 AM »
I put a lot of twists in my strings as well.  The thing with a 2 bundle flemmish string is if you dont get enough twists in the string it will not be round.  I twist mine to the point where it is just about to start doubling up and then string it on the bow and rub it down with a piece of leather and get it good and hot.  It melts the wax and takes a lot of the stretch out of the string.  Then I adjust the twist accordingly to my brace height.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline stump man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 07:59:00 PM »
I think one can have to much twist in a string. I used to build all my strings with as little twist as possible so as to allow for future twisting as the string(dacron) stretched with usage. I also pre-stretched them with a 2 ton jack arrangement I fabricated, and let them sit on it for 24hrs before sending it out with a bow. All my strings were 3 braid twist so I didn't have the out of round problem. Once in a while I would have a customer state that the arrows he had been shooting well for quite some time, all of a sudden were not flying good for him. Upon sending the bow back for me to find what the problem was I notice the strings were EXTREMLEY twisted.  Upon further discussion, I found these were original strings sent with the bow  generally 2-3 years old built from dacron B-50. A new string solved the problem in at least half a dozen cases.  I can't explain why, I just know a lesser twisted string solved the probem.  just my .02 cents

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 08:57:00 AM »
IMHO, If you twist your string to the point it starts kinking up, then it has too much twist. Otherwise I see no diference.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©