3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: who used to shoot high poundage??  (Read 545 times)

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: who used to shoot high poundage??
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2011, 07:37:00 AM »
Something like duncan ID and bobman  :thumbsup:
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »
At 55 years old, I am shooting in the 50's. My go to bow right now is 53# and I have a couple that are 57#. I used to shoot 72# for a few years when I was in 30's, then moved to 63-65#. I am comfortable with what I shoot now. Working in construction all my life has done 2 things. Kept me in pretty good shape and has taken a toll on my body, so I try to take care of my shoulders.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2011, 08:21:00 AM »
I got up to 60#. I shoot 52# much better and all my bows are from 50-52
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2011, 08:34:00 AM »
#45 pounds for me. I shot 55-70 for most of my life. I dont shoot elk or mooose so its more than enough bow for me. I love to shoot and I can shoot alot longer at #45 than I could at #70

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »
My go to bow was a 66@26 Robertson Purist up until 2yrs ago when I made my first 3pc TD Hybrid and the weight came in around 57@27. I shoot it so much better that I see no need to go back to it.

Steve

Offline East Coast archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »
My first two customs were 55# and 58#, then picked up a barely used bow that was 59#.  Shot that for years.  Bought a pair of discounted 52# limbs and loved 'em.  Now enjoying 49-52# and seem to be using the 49 and 50#'s more often as the season progresses.  Seems after sitting for hours as the temps. drop those lightweight limbs shine.  

For me the same seems true of a recurve and a longbow.  As the temps. drop and the body stiffens up a longbow seems easier to get to full draw. But that is a debate for a whole 'nother topic    :saywhat:
"God gave you feet for a reason, so you can take a step forward and keep moving, even though it's hard, but you have to because the tides going to come in." TAC

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
Always shot a 65# bushmaster, then around age 50 shoulder started to have issues resulting in surgery.  Now 45# or so is still doable.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
Yup I started at close to 70 at my draw and am down to low fifties at my draw now with alot better results. You don't need that much weight to kill deer and bear .
 I am all for shooting as much weight as you can handle well .
 i believe alot of people are trying to shoot more than they should be but its all personal choice .
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
I shot in the high 50's for years but could have handled more.   Now I shoot below 50 and my go to bow is a gorgeous 44# 59 Kodiak reproduction that Ed Holcomb made for me.

Online 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
74 # for 20 + yrs. then 60 then shoulder issues then 54 more shoulder arthritis compressed nerves snap shot @ 30 physical therapy back to 51 back packed in this year more pinched nerves snap shot @ 40 now at 46.  Docs said  problems was cumlative over over the years.  Low to mid 50's will get the job done . YOU YOUNG GUYS LISTEN UP!  Loosing the ability to shoot is not fun and finding something you like to do as well @64 yrs isn't much fun either. Take care of your selves NOW.

Offline East Coast archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »
58Winters great advice, with most modern bows nowadays 50# can get the job done on most big game anyways.
"God gave you feet for a reason, so you can take a step forward and keep moving, even though it's hard, but you have to because the tides going to come in." TAC

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
I listened to all the old guys and last year dropped from 74# to 64#.  After several easy misses I went back to the 74# and now have 2 deer in the freezer.  I am only 50, so I may drop in the future.  I am too lousy a shot to shoot the lighter bows. I did draw a 94# this summer and could hunt with it, but 74 is right for now.

Cheers
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
I used to shoot 60-66 lbs.Due to shoulder problems,a few years ago I dropped down in weight and sold the 57# plus bows.I worked a lot on form and tuning and managed to increase my draw length 2".The bows I shoot now are 50-55 lbs at my draw length.I also got smarter about how I put my arrows together and am getting quite a bit more penetration than I did with the 60 lb bows.

My shoulder has improved drastically as has my shooting.I could probably work back into some more weight but don't plan to.Things are working well and at 62,I'm not sure how long it would be before I would have to drop weight again.

Offline rkelly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »
i shot 65 to 85 for many years and paid for it with shoulder surgeries.  At 72  45# is my tops.

Offline Kid's Pastor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2011, 02:18:00 PM »
I shot 60-65 for many years, but a fall down some stairs and a separated shoulder took me down to mid 50's now.

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
Shot 63# for a lot of years,now shoot 50#
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline TC in Spfld

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2011, 05:33:00 PM »
Shot a 65# Bighorn back in my prime.  Went to a 58# BW which I eventually had shaved to 53#.  My next BW will probably be in the 45# range.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »
Rotator cuffs. Long exaggerated draws. Expanding everything to the hilt, and then all of a sudden, a release. With every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.  What about us "short draw" hunters. No, not small framed people, but people who bend that bow arm, and only draw as far back as too get the middle finger to the corner of the mouth? Not much twisting of the joints as we go through the motions of the draw, shorter, yup, but a WHOLE lot more STABLE. Don't think so. Take a, full, gallon of milk and hold it out with your arm extended all the way out, then try it with a good bend in the arm, which position did you LAST the longest?  
   Overhead, "military press" will keep your rotator cuffs much less injury prone. Don't strain that lift, it is an exercise of 10 reps NOT TO FAILURE but till you feel to uncomfortable to do another, or when you have to sacrifice form to get it up.
 60#, only shooting every other day.

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2011, 08:15:00 PM »
When I was in my 20's 65 to 70 lbs.  Now that I am 56, I find bows in the 40 to 50 lb. range do the job as well.  Alot of the articles we read back then were authored by guys shooting heavier bows.  I think that played a part in many guys shooting heavier bows back then.

Online Chuck Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
When I was about 30, I shot a 94# longbow. I stayed with 75-80 pound bows for many years. At 58, I now shoot 45# because my shoulders are ruined. I've shot completely through more deer with the 45# than I did with the heavier weights. I think it means I hit better.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©