3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A new quiver teaser......  (Read 514 times)

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
A new quiver teaser......
« on: November 13, 2011, 12:21:00 PM »
Perhaps a bit late for this season for some....but in plenty of time for Christmas, Tim Roberts of Farr West Leather has been up here hunting and field testing and working out the bugs of his new quiver design with me.  I think he's got a winner for those who may like the quiver caddy idea, but are a bit turned off by the use of a Kwikee on it.   So we put our heads together, my experiences and Tim's know-how and ingenuity, and here is some pics of the prototypes.   He wants to call it the Absorkee Quiver, after where we developed, in the shadow of the Absaroka Range.   He will be home to answer your questions by Tuesday.....but here is a quick look and teaser.  

My impressions, it carries well, and works every bit as good as the Kwikee I've carried for decades now, on my quiver caddy.   Lightweight and every bit as maneuverable in the field....easily carried with packs, no straps,  I could go on singing the praises!  

My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A new quiver teaser......
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 12:22:00 PM »
Some more....

My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 12:23:00 PM »

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 12:35:00 PM »
Man! love the quiver and the bow!! mark
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 12:38:00 PM »
I'm quiver overloaded, but that one looks very cool. Any idea on cost?
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 12:39:00 PM »
SWEEEEET  :archer:

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 12:47:00 PM »
Really like this quiver design that I used successfully for many years. Does the quiver itself tilt back & forth around a central pivot point or is it totally secured in the horizontal position? Best of luck.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 12:55:00 PM »
Very nice!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »
Mark, Really nice looking quiver. Thnaks for the look see. Will give Tim a call.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »
That is nice looking..

I have a question, on the one designed for the kwikee I believe the belt hook insert is steel.. Sure makes it heavy, why not aluminum ??

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 02:33:00 PM »
Looks like a good quiver  :)  !
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 02:59:00 PM »
Nice variation on your old design....I think you may have a winner..........   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »
The quiver angle is what it is, and it's for a good reason, and been tested now for more than 2 decades.  

Why would you want your feathers sticking up and catching on everything you walked too close to?

Why would you want a quiver tied to your thigh like a gunslinger...you gonna quick draw something?

A quiver that rides high on your waist, and trails straight back is THE BEST way to carry your arrows, IMO, in a hip-quiver type design.  A lot of bowquiver fans say they can navigate brush better with their bow quivers.....I would certainly challenge them anytime.   This design minimizes your profile going through brush, minimizing the impact on your fletching.  It also stays horizontal when you squat or kneel down upon sighting game, and not sticking up like other designs, flagging your presence.   Couple that with a quiver caddy, which is still the only "hang-on" type quiver out there....and it is the easiest, bar-none, quiver to remove and put back on should you get tangled, or need to do some crawling, or just settup to call elk or rattle deer.  And it hangs easily in a treestand right next to you making a second arrow a quick and easy process.  

I don't want to try to talk the bow quiver guys or any other type quiver fans out of their choices....but unless you give this option a try, you have'nt tried them all (like most of us do) or tried the best option on your hip.  That's just me, but I've used this from above the artic circle to Texas, and crawled through every kind of brush thicket and wore every type of pack....it just works best for me.  And not just me, but there are a few others.  

Anyway, I know Tim has done a great job here of building a trad-type arrow quiver, built on common sense solutions, and not just fashion....that should appeal to some guys, I think.

Pat....to answer you questions about the frame, when I was building the quiver caddy's I tried aluminum and it just does'nt hold up like steel.   The steel frame is really not much heavier, and you will NEVER wear it out hunting.  It will last your life, I'm sure of it.  

Also, on price....Tim reports to me that the quiver alone will cost 95.00 shipped;  the quiver caddy alone is 45.00 shipped (same as it's been for some years now), and together they will be 135.00.   A real bargain, when you consider how much work goes into this and how well made it is.   Hope that helps answer some questions.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »
Thanks for the explanations !

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
Bringing this up top for Tim's comments....Tim you home yet?

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 08:51:00 AM »
looks pretty slick.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »
Is the Quiver Caddy a new design?

Will Tim's quiver work on the Quiver Caddy I've had for a few years?

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »
Interesting design with the arrows being held on two different planes.....is there a reason for that?

I think it is a great marriage of form and function!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
Bob....when I let Tim take over manufacture and sales of the Quiver Caddy, I made him promise to keep it pretty much the same.   Same angle, same basic construction with same holes.  So to answer your question...YES, it will work with the "old" version.  

Jake....Tim wanted to do something original, and not to copy anything else anybody was doing.  My suggestions were a bit different as far as the arrow holders go, but Tim's approach works well, is very sturdy, and "contains" the shafts should they POP out, which is unlikely, as they hold as well as any quiver I've used.   My input was to stay true to the manner in which they rode on the waist, and trailed back.   I've added to him some tiny refinements....but Tim really is quite an innovator, and a real craftsman.  

We wanted to make sure we had space for at least 5 arrows, for a hunting quiver.   For my input, that gives me 4 broadheads and a judo.  Just right.  

You can still get the Quiver Caddy alone, and use the Kwikee Kwiver system....an idea that I am still fond of, and it has it's definite advantages of owning several Kwikee's and being able to "swap" them for different purposes or arrows and still use the same Caddy.   But this new Quiver answers the requests we've had for a more "trad" looking design, incorporating craftsmanship with the rich, traditional looks and feel of leather, and the function of the original Quiver Caddy concept.

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 01:06:00 PM »
Looks like a winner Tim.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©