3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Things that make you go *#&^%$!!!!  (Read 313 times)

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Things that make you go *#&^%$!!!!
« on: November 13, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
I spend the majority of my time hunting public land in North Georgia and overall the experience has been positive but every now and then the complete lack of respect that some individuals show their fellow hunters brings me close to loosing my religion!

Today I headed to an Archery only WMA in north GA. I arrived more than a full hour before light, parked and headed to a spot I had hunted earlier in the week. Now the area I was hunting is a VERY small pocket that gets very little attention and is bordered by a road on one side, a powerline on the other side and the powerline and beyond are on private hunting leases.

Normally, I hunt far frow roads and almost never see other hunters because of my efforts to get away, but I do have a couple of spots that are overlooked because they are "too obvious", or "too small". One of my favorite such spots is directly behind a DNR Check Station. Amazing how people avoid hunting there. Anyway, today I was not so lucky. About 45 minutes after I have crept in, attached my stand and climbed about 30' I hear a vehicle stop what sounds like fairly close to my truck and my first thought is to listen for glass breaking as I have had a vehicle broken into while hunting before. This didn't happen but I hear talking, tree stands clanking around, doors slamming etc. At this point I am praying that they are at least hunting on the other side of the road. WRONG!, Shortly, after I see hunter #1 walking through the woods about 100 yards away, stand clanking all the way. For the next 20 minutes I get to hear the stand clanking while it is attached to a tree and then while he ascends the tree.

After he finaly gets settled in and the woods get quite I think "Ok, it will be ok, maybe he will spook something my way."    :)   Then off to my right and behind me I hear leaves shuffling.......could it be????? No it couldn't! His buddy is sneaking through the woods, it is now fully light and he is about 60 yards away moving somewhat parallel to me but quatering towards me. At about 40 yards I give a low whistle, then another. Finally he sees me, gives a wave and continues on in the direction he was going. He stops at 40 yards from my stand, starts kicking leaves at the base of a tree and he settles in. I am thinking "seriously? He is going to hunt there knowing I am 40 yards away and was obviously there since well befor daylight?"
Then I hear the crossbow he was carrying cocked and all doubt is removed.    :knothead:  

I started to just climb down (as absolutely noisily as possible) but then decided I was going to stay put hoping that he and his buddy might steer a deer in my direction as it was obvious from where they positioned themselves that wind direction wasn't a concern. I am sure their Scent-lok clothing lets them ignore the wind.

So I am sitting there still stewing about this 2 hours later and hear a noise behind me. I slowly turn my head and low and behold here comes a fat little fork horn. He is trotting directly towards me and will pass almost directly beneath me, but about 5 yards to my right. I slowly turn, bow in hand just waiting for what looks like it will be a perfect quartering away shot. Then 40 yards away I hear B-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-r-p..........B-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-r-p from a grunt tube!!!!!!!! The litte buck freezes, quartering towards me at maybe 12 yards staring in the direction of the grunt. A third and much louder B-U-U-U-U-R-P!!!!! and the fork-horn turns inside out heading back the way he came. In a manner much like if he had been hit with a cattle prod!   :banghead:  

Another 10 yards would have more than likely resulted in trad kill #1. Instead I am standing there unable to believe what has just happened. I can feel my ears getting hot and my blood pressure rising. I thought for a minute about climbing down and "Introducing myself" to my new neighbor but I knew there was no way that would have a positive outcome and at best would only bring me down to his level.

Once I had calmed down enough to do so, I climb down, even did so quietly. Packed up my stand and headed to my truck. The other vehicle was parked within 20' of my truck, no way they did not see me parked there and not know that there was not enough room for 3 people on this small section of woods. I know public land is just that and they had as much right to be there as I did, but what happened to courtesy and respect for others?    :dunno:  

Thanks for letting me vent a bit.

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Things that make you go *#&^%$!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 02:36:00 PM »
Wow I wouldn't have been so nice!!  That is one of the many reasons that I stay off of public land until later in the season and the weekend warriors have given up.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 02:40:00 PM »
Well BowhunterGA   :rolleyes:  

What more can I say than that in our Good Lords garden there are many different creatures   :knothead:  

Margly
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 02:42:00 PM »
I've had that happen, too. That's why I don't hunt WMAs on Saturdays. At least not the easily accessible ones.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »
Good for you for keeping your cool. I'd have been MAD, too.

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
Feel your pain.  I had an identical thing happen, however the guy walked to the base of my stand.  He intended to hunt out of it!

With him standing below me, I hit him with a high beam and whispered @#$.  I did introduce myself and it is tense to say the least. There was no way the guy didn't see my truck. This piece of state ground allows hanging stands to be left up during the season.  Obviously he liked my stand.  :)  

Public land... love it, sometimes hate it.

Offline mgompf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 03:07:00 PM »
I feel your pain! I took a precious week off from work last week to spend hunting. I had crossbow guys carrying climbing stands walk within 40 yards I waved to let them know I was there and they proceeded to setup no less than 40 yards away. This happened 3 different days and at three different locations during the week!
While I think any deer is a trophy any deer on public land is a true accomplishment.
When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and
with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20
feet closer to God.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 03:21:00 PM »
You sure you wern't in South Jersey...LOL
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 03:30:00 PM »
Stupid is as stupid does.   They very effectively guaranteed no one would get a deer.   New hunters are often tied to one spot and foolishly don't have a back up spot.   Slob hunters are another story and best left to their ignorance.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Online soap creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »
Reacting the way you did, showed real character. As hard as it was to do it was the right thing.Your the better man for it.
(Rom. 10:13)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 04:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by soap creek:
Reacting the way you did, showed real character. As hard as it was to do it was the right thing.Your the better man for it.
X2

I Hunt public land and often have to keep my mouth shut. I would have had a hard time in your scenario.   :notworthy:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 07:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Cyclic-Rivers:

quote:
Originally posted by soap creek:
X2

I Hunt public land and often have to keep my mouth shut. I would have had a hard time in your scenario.    :bigsmyl:

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
That's the trouble with people now a days it's all about me me me. I always say you can't fix stupid.

I guess all you can do is laugh at them because you know you can't shoot them, well you can but you know the out come.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »
Move to NW Alabama, at least 60K acres of public hunting land on 3 mgt areas within 45 minutes of my house. You will never see another bowhunter in the woods on most of this land.

I went scouting on one of these mgt areas the other day, drove through about 20K acres, not the first hunters vehicle to be seen anywhere.

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
As many of you probably did also, I grew up hunting with family and friends. Everyone was courteous and worked together. No one chased the rabbit or tried to head off someone else.

Several experiences in the last 10 years have almost discouraged me from hunting. One of them was a yearly rabbit hunt that was pretty much open to anyone with a bow of any kind. In each party there would be about 20 dogs and 50 people. Once the chase was on there would be a group of about 15-20 running along with or just behind the dogs looking for a shot. Then there would be another group of about 20 "cuttem off at the passers" that would try to head off the rabbit. The 5-10 people who stayed in place while this was going on could fully expect to see 30-40 frenzied warriors bearing down on them if the rabbit should come their way. On several occasions I've had a rabbit at less than 10 yards and have a guy with an Xbow shoot at it from 40-50 yards away. That's @$#%* irritating.

I have had similar noncourteous experiences hunting deer or other game but haven't enough time to go there.       :banghead:    :archer2:

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
Respect and being courteous was lost in America about 15 years ago and getting worst each year. Take a ride in your vehicle and see how many times you are cut off or have to stop for some moron even though they are supposed to yield.  

I feel for you I had the same problem years ago on public land.
PBS  Member

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2011, 09:46:00 AM »
Chalk it up Steve. Don't let their "stupid" ruin your day. Got you figured for class to spare. Your day's coming soon.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
:archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »
You were way nicer than I would have been.  Well at least until he cocked his cross bow.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
BowHunterGA - you're a better man than I am.  Definitely would have had words with those guys.  Good for you for being bigger than that.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©