3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What's wrong with me! 0-4!  (Read 484 times)

Offline paoloi

• Trad Bowhunter
What's wrong with me! 0-4!
« on: November 13, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
I really just started hunting last year, I am a late bloomer. In my first year I took three shots, one was stupid, and misses all three over their backs. In the past year I am back in school, we had our first baby, so I haven't had as much time this year. This morning I went out and it was quite windy. I was looking off to my right and when I looked back to my left coming in at 15 yards was a little four point. I was sitting and my bow was hanging and he is moving left to right in front of me. I manage to get my bow down and he stops about 5 yards in front of me a little to the right. He stands there for a bit and I slowly try to rise and he springs forward about 15 yards. I turn to my right as he starts rounding a tree, draw, and when he appears, let one fly. Right over his back, my M.O., now I am 0-4! It was a perfect line, just high.
     I know, I didn't pick a spot. I am a fair shot, I definately have it in me. It just seems that when the oppertunity presents itself I rush things and forget my routine. When will I ever learn? I just want to get some meat in the freezer and this monkey off my back.

Offline b44mag

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What's wrong with me! 0-4!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »
im 0 for 2 so far
a treerat and a coon close but no weeeeooooh
first year for me
i consider myself a bow hunter now that i have missed. everybody tells me keep at it. it will happen. good luck

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
Talk yourself through the shot next time. It may hold the excitement at bay long enough to get it done.

Good luck!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline briarsdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 07:39:00 PM »
I had the same problem this year except I was shooting low on every deer I shot at.My problem was I was afraid of a high hit and not enough penetration to get an exit wound with my low poundage bow and I wasn't focusing on a spot. My advice would be to practice from an elevated position. I did every day and it helped me out a bunch. I missed 6 I think before I connected this year. Practice is the key, I have to shoot everyday to keep my accuracy where it needs to be to shoot at live animals. Thats my .02 I hope it helps also try shooting at small game and just walking in the woods shooting at leaves or sticks on the ground. It is great practice and fun.
Black Widow PLX Osage
Black Widow PLX Crossgrain Graybark
Red Feather Archery broadheads!

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
Heck I went 0-6 in one weekend a couple of years ago.  Not hard too do.  First practice from the stand like your shooting from. Find your aim point.  From a tree stand I need to look at the bottom hair of the belly to hit mid body.

And get some confidence in your shooting.  Spend time shooting the shot your going to take until it's a slam dunk.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
First ones the toughest. I was 0-12 when I started 6 years ago. I've killed 14 with a longbow since then.  Whenever I see a deer I mentally start telling myself to pick a spot over and over. That is the hardest part. Keep working on it. It will come. Good luck!
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by paoloi:

I know, I didn't pick a spot. I am a fair shot, I definately have it in me. It just seems that when the oppertunity presents itself I rush things and forget my routine.
You answered yourself with this.

I too am guilty of it. It can be overcome by fixing what you wrote.

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
Paolo,

I am in the same boat. I have 5 shots in. Still a miss just last Friday night on a small doe. I know that I need to get over the pounding heart and all the timing. It will happen, I just need to go thought it again.

Hang in there. Do it again. I think that only having them close and working through the shot is the only thing that can solve it.

Stay positive!

Martin

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »
Quit your whining, I haven't had 4 shots in the last 3 years! Be thankful that you have opportunities. Your success will come. Good luck.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 07:56:00 PM »
I don't shoot at moving deer

Pick a spot

Forget the past muffed shots

Don't ever feel that you HAVE to shoot. You don't.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 08:01:00 PM »
I'm right there with ya 0-4.  Except mine is over a three year span.  First year hunting with trad equipment, hunting on the ground I shot right infront of a doe.  Grazed her had a touch of blood on one feather.  All for that year.  Last year I grazed a small buck back.  Again just a touch of blood on one feather.  Later I shot infont of another doe.  Both were from stands.  All for that year.  This year last weekend.  had a small buck come in and he curved around a tree.  He was acting nervous and his lungs and heart were open so I took the shot and burried my snuffer half way in a maple.  My up and down was great just shot about four inches to the right. Would have been a back lung or liver shot if the tree wouldn't have been there but...it was. Took twenty minutes to dig it out.  Its possibly the most aggrivating thing I've ever experienced.  I was so disgusted with myself after dwelling and replaying it over in head for thirty minutes straight I just came down and went home.  Didn't feel like hunting anymore.  Something that has helped my confidence hunting from a stand is I carry a arrow with a judo point on it in my quiver.  Everytime Im about to leave I pick a leaf or something that stands out and I take a practice shot then come down get packed up and go get my arrow. Almost always I hit what I'm shooting at.  It was funny the day after I missed the buck the other day I was hunting a field and before I came down I could see a piece of paper in the field.  I shot at it and drilled it.  Got down and stepped it off and I laughed cause I could hit a snack sized chip bag at 40 yards but couldn't hit a whole deer at 17.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 08:04:00 PM »
I've only seen one deer this season (so far) and it was a buck. With Texas inside antler spread 13" restrictions, it was illegal for me to shoot it.

At least you're getting shots.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline BeNoIt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 08:19:00 PM »
This is my first year with traditional bow and I am 0-2 so I hear ya. Both over the back, barely, right in line with where it should be. I have practiced a ton and am not afraid of taking deer but in both cases I did not pick the spot like I do in practice. The second, Saturday morning, was a big fat doe at 10 yards and I was trying not to have to stop her. Too hard at this point with traditional. Next time she'll be stopped first.

However, I'm not giving up. Just digging in harder and going to keep trying. Thankful for the two opportunities and all the deer that I have seen. Such a blessing!
David

Matthew 6:33  But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Bigfoot Flatliner 55@28 64" (New!)
Spirit LB 55# @28" 62"

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 08:23:00 PM »
I have had that problwm in the past, as well as quick release issues. I overcame it by forcing myself to not release until i hheld exactly on my target for a full two seconds. Forces you to pick a spot. Good luck.

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
Nerves are getting the better of you...

Just concentrate on that one spot on the deer.

Sometimes I feel my nerves building up and their have been times when I just need to look away from the approaching game and just compose myself.

Your doing all the right things to get that close to a whitetail!!!
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline huey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »
My.02 is Cyclic-River and Roger are giving good advice. When the animal approaches decide where you are going to make the shot. Not hurry up and shoot when a shot appears. Talking myself through the outcome keeps me calm and I don't have to shoot. Sometimes it just don't work out sometimes it does.

Offline Ron Vought

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2011, 08:53:00 PM »
Your probably shooting at the whole deer instead of picking a spot. I missed a few before I realized that I had to pick a single hair on the deer. Focus on that hair and the rest is relying on your practice skills and mechanics of shooting.

Ron

Offline B-DOG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
i have had six shots this year. 4 misses and 2 kills. all misses were high. i missed the same doe 2 times. once at 10 yards and once closer. pick a spot!  both kills were great shots.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »
Your seeing deer and getting shots.....consider yourself lucky. Don't think about it, take the advise that's been given and you will do fine!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Stealth Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »
Remember to bend at the waist when shooting down.  This will keep your upper body in it's normal alignment.  If you compensate for the downward shot by simply lowering the bow hand, you will shoot high.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©