3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tell me about Summit Bucksteps?  (Read 273 times)

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Tell me about Summit Bucksteps?
« on: November 13, 2011, 08:32:00 PM »
I need some climbing steps and thought the Summit Bucksteps looked good. I wanted something where both feet can be placed at the same height, stackable, and as rounded as possible for safety in a fall,priced reasonable,and a decent weight.Who(sponsors here)has the best deal?
Also, Summit's site does not list the step length so if somebody knows the measurement please reply.A person may need from 4 to 6 steps depending on personal needs.
Lone Wolf and Muddy have good reviews but look like the same harpoon as my screw-in steps if you fall and are also more expensive.
Thanks for any advise.

Offline GRS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tell me about Summit Bucksteps?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
I'm watching this one too. Trying to decide between Bucksteps, Lone Wolf, and Rapid Rails. The older I get, the less I like the work of installing screw-ins, as well as the danger of falling on one.

Gerald

Offline Hatchet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »
I purchased a set of Bucksteps about five years ago, at first they did not impress me. One thing that bothered me was I could not figure out how to carry them without making so much noise. This was taken care of with two inch black tape around all four steps, nested and stacked. Then wrap all the straps around the Bucksteps, making sure to secure all S hooks with more tape. With a homemade sling and my Chippewa  hang on tree stand I'm good for about 12 to 13 feet. And don't forget to take your lineman,s belt to set the steps, it makes for a safer and easy operation.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
I don't have any experience with the Bucksteps, but do prefer the Rapid Rails of all the others. Easy to hang, about the same weight as all the others, but easier to stand on. You cannot put both feet on one step, but I can stand on them next to the tree with out a belt(not recommended).
You can also get higher with the set of 4 than with the others. I prefer to have them end up higher than my stand for safety reasons.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
You might look at Extra Wide Rapid Rails. I"m not sure about getting both feet on a step.
I've used regular Rapid Rails for quite a while but there are times I wished I could get both feet at the same level when hanging a stand. I usually put a Gorilla treestep at the top for that reason.

I just realized I didn't mention Bucksteps but I went with rapid rails because it appears you can get higher with each section.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »
I have never tried the others you mention.

Lone wolf steps already stack together very nicely and securely, easy to set up, light, and if you get one of their stands they carry in quietly without any extra lashing. I have three but only use two, for me that is high enough without causing extreme shooting angles.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline recurve3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 08:11:00 AM »
I use bucksteps for all my stands. You can definitley get both feet on the same level.
Tom

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 08:53:00 AM »
I'm using a set of Bucksteps for the first time this year. So far, you can color me very impressed.

Very easy to hang, they feel very secure to climb. The fact that they sit off the tree by a few inches makes me feel less 'crowded', for want of a better word, whilst climbing the tree. Definately the easiest steps I've used when it comes to hanging the stand. Being able to have your feet on the same step is a HUGE advantage.

Mine stack together very nicely & don't make any noticeable noise when I'm carrying them.

I will say, they'd be better if they were 6-8" longer, because with them spaced evenly, you can only get about 12' up the tree. I could space them farther apart, but I don't like the odd feel every other step.

I intend to replace the straps at the end of the year too. The cam-over style buckle is a royal pain in the hoo-hoo to loosen & tighten. The straps also feel a little thin. That said, they'll take my 280# frame, plus all my crap without moving, so it's probably just a mental thing.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 09:12:00 PM »
Does anyone have the length on the Bucksteps?

Offline GRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
I think they are 20".       Gerald

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
15" if I remember correctly.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline danderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 01:11:00 AM »
i have no experience with them, but i do like my lone wolf sticks a lot. I can get up to 15 feet with the standard 3, theyre very quiet, light and easy to set up in the dark hastle free
BW SAX Kingwood 54#

1967 Bear Super Kodiak 50#

Offline Ydanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 06:17:00 AM »
I bought a set last summer and used them for my practice stand in the back yard.  I was up and down them a lot and I like them the best of any steps I've had.  The LW are nice but I don't like the pointy ends.  With my setup, using 4 Buck steps, my platform was 12' from the ground.  That is about where I like to be for most of my hunting setups.  Any stick/treestand can and will be noisy if you are not careful or take steps like Hatchet did to solve the problem.  I can get both of my on the same level, which is nice when you are hanging a stand.  If you use a linemans belt they are easy to put up.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 07:01:00 AM »
Jim Stepp, from Maine, a VietNam Vet who lost a leg, built the Stepp Ladders to aid in him standing two footed (one a prosthetic)to put up his stand.

His site is in rennovation right now, but his contact information is
Jim Stepp
P.O. Box 860
South Casco, Maine 04077
Tel. 207 655 5105

They nested, were like inverted V's and cammed over to lock tight to the tree.  About that same time, I'd gotten hooked on the Rapid Rails and haven't looked back.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 03:31:00 PM »
They do have a tendency to sound like a bell when they make contact with each other, but to dampen the noise I sprayed them with a 3M rubber material. There is a small amount of masking that has to be done so that the steps will continue to nest together. Spraying them with the rubber material is something you will want to do in the off season so the chemical smell has time to fade.

I haven’t used them much but when I have they provided a very steady platform to climb on and I like how compact and light weight they are.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©