3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help: tired of cracked rubber boots  (Read 778 times)

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
Help: tired of cracked rubber boots
« on: November 13, 2011, 09:35:00 PM »
I have been wearing rubber knee-high boots for years, but they always crack and are no longer waterproof.   My last pair didn't even make it 12 months.

I need suggestions for something that would allow me to wade creeks to my stands, is less than $150, and is durable...  

Thanks in advance!
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help: tired of cracked rubber boots
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 09:41:00 PM »
I have a pair of Muck boots in the Woody Max and really like them. I'm on my 3rd season with them and going strong. They are a little more than $150 but worth it. Unless you are in a lot of thorns or brush that would rip a boot open.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
i second the Muck boots!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Good Stuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »
I have Mucks and like them but they crack too.

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »
Well, I have a pair of lacrosse knee highs that are close to 20 years old and are not cracked and still plenty waterproof.

That said, I wear muck boots now and am on my second pair. My first pair I got 5 years out of but wore them out from the inside out. I have the Woody Sport now and had the Wetland previously. As long as you remember that you have neoprene uppers and use some common sense they will last a long time.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »
I've a pair of snake proof rubber boots. Whatever makes them snake proof also makes them tough...they're great

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »
Muck Wetlands,second season and going strong.

Offline 2madjacks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 10:04:00 PM »
Lacrosse Alpha's, you can catch them on sale at the BP for as low as $89 normal price is $129

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
Well, after 30 years, I finally headed east to hunt white tailed deer.

They told me to wear rubber-bottom boots, I don't know why. Seems Daniel Boone and a few others did well with leather.

. . . so I split the difference. I wore Schnees. Out west, men don't wear rubber boots, we wear Schnees or Whites or Kennetrecks, but nonetheless, we wear something with leather. Seems the least we can do.

Back east for the first time? My Leather-upper Schnees did well. Kilt three white tails with a Howard Hill bow, two of them bucks. Not too bad, outside of their element, eh?

My toes stayed toasty warm and dry the whole time.

Pretty sure I could do the same in leather moccasins. Only time will tell. . .

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
Store them in a cotton bag while not in use.. My LaCrosse boots are about 6 years old and still going strong..
My waders are older than that and still keep chucking
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 10:14:00 PM »
Oh, I forgot to mention, my Schnees are seven years old, and hard used.

Might have to replace the bottoms in a year or so. Maybe five.

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 10:30:00 PM »
Xtratuff ruber boots, they are cheep, tough, and last a long time!! my first paire lasted me wellover 6 years...You can get them insulated or not. Made in the USA.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 10:30:00 PM »
Mucks are great! Older lacrosses are also tough.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »
I am using a pair of ankle-fit rubber Lacrosse boots I purchased in 1982. They received very light use for about 20 or so years and have been occasionally treated with "Armor-all" but the cinch straps still work and there is nothing wrong with them. Did you by chance buy inexpensive "bargain" rubber boots which don't always turn out to be such?

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 11:18:00 PM »
Do not store rubber boots by electric motors. The ozone given off will crack the rubber. Hap

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 11:32:00 PM »
I second the Schnee's. I absolutely love mine. Xtratuffs are a great boot, too, but they never fit my feet right. I have a high arch and they were too tight across the top of my foot.

Offline gonzoso

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2011, 11:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hot Hap:
Do not store rubber boots by electric motors. The ozone given off will crack the rubber. Hap
Rubber breaking down is the result of a two step chemical process.  The first requirement is Ozone, or 03 which is produced by many electric motors or outside during thunder storms.  It's kinda present in low concentrations everywhere but is more present in higher concentrations.

The second requirement is a weak acid, which is usually comes in the form of acid rain which is what used to eat car tires.

If  you're walking around wetlands and bogs and such they tend to be very acidic which would contribute to the breakdown of your rubber boots.  A simple solution to this would be to wash your boots thoroughly after every use.

In the future when considering purchasing boots if cracking is a problem call up the boot company and ask what kind of antiozinant they put in their rubber boots to preserve them.  For years tire manufacturers and other rubber related industries have been experimenting and improving various chemical additives to rubber products to slow their breakdown.
Samick Sage 50#
1970's Bear Kodiak Magnum 50#

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2011, 12:25:00 AM »
Lacrosse burly classic. Store them standing up, even if you have to stuff them with something to train them to stand on their own. After a while they will learn. If your boots are cracking around the ankle area, it's because they bend there. If stored standing up, no cracks.

The burly classic is cheaper than the fancier burly models and will outlast them. Chevron sole is better on slippery ground too. For where I live - in Louisiana - if you don't wear 18" rubber boots, you will have wet feet eventually. No matter how nice they are, no leather boot is made for walking around in a foot or so of water day after day, which is routine here.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2011, 12:50:00 AM »
Bogs.  $70 and the same thing as Muck Boots.  Mine are two years old and look like new.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2011, 04:53:00 AM »
have you tried Armor- all? I use it on almost all of my vinyl or rubber stuff, from hunting boots to Jeep dashboards.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©